Thread: Newbie In Awe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It took me a while to realize this but all naturals are not the same. I was reading a post yesterday and a member referred to "super-naturals" which I can only assume means radical?????? But continuing to think on it.....I have to say that some people are natural....but I don't really think it has anything to do with how they actually think.

I know people who don&#39;t perm their hair but are just as ignorant as the day is long; <_< I guess I just expected more...expected that if you went natural you would be "in the know" or at least aware. *smh* So not the case. I guess what I&#39;m saying is......a fro/curls/locs or braids doesn&#39;t really mean you have shed your shackles at all. We must be a fashion statement.

And for the record....I can&#39;t speak on what God intended but I&#39;m loving my shaved head...but it isn&#39;t for the weak of heart,mind or spirit. :P
    [color=#000099][SIZE=2]With every passing day I grow more convinced that Our attitude determines everything about us. Life is simply 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it. You have the power to choose your attitude. ~Elegance~[/color][/SIZE]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

femmefiyah,
    Being natural, nappturality is a mindset with the greatest transformation taking place in the mind..You should checkout Dee&#39;s January 2006 interview on RadioBlaqboard for some great insights. NappymeHappyme posted the link in the Natural Hair Forum. Be encouraged and keep in mind that people are in different places in their journey to naturalness. :wub:
    <div align="center">
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    2009 is loc&#39;d and loaded, all the time!"

My Hair Album</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think i know what she means. some women go natural or rock a natural wig or weave just cuz they saw somebody with a cute style and wanna rock it. it never enters their mind that they are breaking the european standards of beauty, and rockin their natural beauty. then there are women like myself that did not have severe damage due to perms, but i got tired or tryin to look like THEM. i takes too much effort to try look like something your not. i got tired of seeing black women with perms or weaves down to their ***, then say " i hate white people" this and that. my response always got my non-natural friends upset, cuz i would ask "well, then why do you try so hard to look like them?".......argument starter everytime. but i do see what she means. everyone who has elevated to natural has not exactly elevated their mind. i feel you!
    LYE FREE: MAY '05
    LOC'D: APR '08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can&#39;t speak on what God intended but I&#39;m loving my shaved head...but it isn&#39;t for the weak of heart,mind or spirit. :P
    [/b]
    :smil3f72836ee752e:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think each person&#39;s definition of Natural varies and what being natural means to one person may mean something else to another. And many have different reasons for going natural and so this will also define what natural means to them.

And yes it is a mental process and some people struggle through it more than others.

Think about this, I am transitioning and I was going to do a weave where the back is straight and I have cornrows in the front. But then I sat down and thought about it. I thought to myself if I am transition why would I put a straight weave in my hair to transitioning and I start to think if it was the old mentality creeping back. At first I genuinely liked that style as I had done it in my re.laxed days but now the style started to lose its appeal to me. And so I haven&#39;t done it yet because of the above reasons. I thought I am putting away rel.axer so why embrace it with a weave and so I have stuck to cornrow extensons and I am considering kinky twists or some else.

Do you see what I mean and so I have been reflecting to on the whole natural thing.

However I do not think that just because I would not like a TWA that means I am not fully transitioned in my mind. For me I do not think it will look good on me personally but I have seem it on other women and though it looked cool. There are also some styles that I would not do because I just don&#39;t like them and not because I aint truly natural, for me it is just that I do not like them.

Do you understand what I mean?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand what you are saying...however my comment didn&#39;t have much to do with choice of styles....but moreso a choice in wording. There are certain things people just shouldn&#39;t say.....how does that saying go....

"Better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

And I still do believe there are certain things that are indicative of a person&#39;s level of....shall we say enlightenment or lack thereof. New naps said it best....for some people it is simply a fashion accessory.
    No point in my crying over spilled milk...I was just irritated.

F2
    [color=#000099][SIZE=2]With every passing day I grow more convinced that Our attitude determines everything about us. Life is simply 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it. You have the power to choose your attitude. ~Elegance~[/color][/SIZE]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I guess I can say I am natural but not napptural. Every now and then I am self concious of my hair. And walmart is like a battlefield between my concious and the perms on the shelf. I know I cannot speak for everyone else. But I personally have not made this full mental transformation that everyone is talking about and so proud of. I think I went natural for the look. I think I may have also done it so I would not have to spend a billion dollars a year or sit in a salon for hours. Or for even the over whelming fear of being burned by a fla.t iron.

Also its kind of hard for me to grasp this "natural black womens movement", I have read so many things about being "brainwashed" about perms, or black beauty being degraded by perms. I mean it may be my belief system but I just think if you keep bringing negative stuff up then how can the negative stuff go away. I know perms are not healthy. But someone who has permed hair is not going to like be told they are brainwashed or degrading black beauty. And telling them those things(no matter how true it is) is not going to make them give up perms any faster. So yea I guess I am not napptural. For me that is ok, i dont really know how others feel. But then again I never expected my mentality to change overnight or even in the last 6-8 months of my natural journey.
    Last Perm: September 2005
    Last Press: November 2005
    My Fotki!
    PW: savvynappy
    My Myspace Page!

I have never been turned away from a job because of my hair. I have always been hired and uplifted for the knowledge I obtain, and going natural just aids in symbolizing that idea.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with everything fimmefiyah said, and that post irritated me to.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know i need a mental makeover- i get most of my beauty comments- cuz of my "ASIAN looking beauty" when people compliment me its on my permed hair and on everything on me that doesnt look black. so now im about to go natural- and i wondering will i ever get another compliment since i am eliminating that look?

oh well
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/bluesaki/"]http://public.fotki.com/bluesaki/[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;ll compliment you bluesaki.
    [i]"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."[/i] - Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast