Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been trying to see a copy every since they sent out an email stating that it was revised. They sent a link to e-publishing; well that takes me to the 2002 version. Can someone hook me up; it's a shame I gotta request info on an AF reg on np.com. Google has not helped, neither has about.com, military.com, or any of my other usual spots. My husband and I were just discussing locs in the military (really hair in the military) this morning. One of my squadron members is about 6 months or so into the process. They look beautiful, and she's so happy with them. That's a shame.

ETA ~ NappymeHappyme poses a good question. Two-strands are my staple style, and I planned to do some yarn twists in a couple weeks. I might have to weave it up for the next x number of days. :icon_headshake:

LuvJones-Don&#39;t you miss it? <_< I&#39;m a ways back, but I&#39;m behind you.
    [/b]

:wub: I miss the paycheck but that&#39;s it.

I can&#39;t believe they pulled this ish. It seems that they are attacking us(sistas) first it was the no short short faded hair styles(which I had only seen sistas rockin now Locs too. What is the reasoning? Not like it matters, they will do what they like. So happy to be broke and free. They need to get on those "becky&#39;s" about those ponytails and messed up colors!

Much love to all my AF sistas!

I am in the military and my service never did allow locks. It is not about race or ethnicity like a previous poster said. The military does not care. It sucks that some always have to see that as the reason for everything.
    [/b]

Well until this came down there was NOTHING in writing forbiding locs as long as they could fit under your cap and didn&#39;t exceed the bulk stated in the AFI people could grumble but they couldn&#39;t MAKE you take them out. S

Blondnaps, are you going to stop wearing twist, cause you know folks aren&#39;t going to be able to tell the difference. Goodness I hate them <_<

I&#39;ve met one AA female Chief and she was a female dog but she was only a female dog to the AA airmen( I was in ALS and she was the ALS and the NCOA. She was a hateful permie( I was a permie too) but it was like she hated "us"
    ~Never allow someone with limited vision to limit yours~
    Officially Nappy 6 Feb 03
    Loc Journey began 17 Mar 07
    I be bloggin'...PM me for the lank!
    iStruggle...I'm a work in progress
    If I don't respond to your post directed at me, I probably have you on ignore #truestory

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey LJ good to hear you are loving that "Cilvi" life, one day I will be like you...lol.. and yeah Im going to stop wearing my twist until they grow out enough to pull back into some type of updo.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LMAO....HECKS NAW I&#39;m not no CMSGT ( E-9) one day ladies!! ONE DAY!! I have been in 8 years and am a E-5...hey I&#39;m half way there!! And I had NEVER met a black female CMSgt before CMSgt Davis ...she&#39;s a great lady and is always looking out for "US" especially the black women ( you can see that in the email)
    [/b]
    blondnaps, I still give you your props for being an E5! Is that TSgt or MSgt? I know making rank is not easy and its good that you have CMSgt Davis as a mentor. You&#39;ll be E9 one day..hopefully sooner than you think!

<div align="center">
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    2009 is loc&#39;d and loaded, all the time!"

My Hair Album</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have done more research on this topic on another website and got this responce:

The new AFI 36-2903 had a statement in it saying that "dreadlocks" were not authorized. It also said that excessively short hairstyles were not acceptable for women. However the instruction with this verbiage has been retracted with no explanation, and no proposed release date. So as of right now, that AFI is NOT being used...WHich means that although they are trying to put that in there....THere are a lot of people out there including myself fighting for this to be pulled out of the new AFI. There are a lot of people all over this issue.

I am sure this will not be the end of it but what is it they say....Expect the best but prepare for the worst.

tanya
    <div align="center">Blackluvdmom&#39;s album</div>
    <div align="center">My Blog</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m going into the Army in Aug 2nd and right now I have a TWA, but of course I&#39;m not gonna keep at this length forever and I&#39;m gonna grow it out. I was wondering aboout afros myself and what are the regs on that if you know any for the Army?
    Big Chop: Don&#39;t know yet, but i&#39;m about to break down
    Last Perm: September 2008
    [url="http://www.myspace.com/jamieshelby"]http://www.myspace.com/jamieshelby[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta disagree a little with LaLove. If the military (or, at least, certain individuals in the military) didn&#39;t look on hair as an ethnic issue at times, then the white girls where I&#39;ve been would be allowed to wear cornrows and long microbraid styles, just like the black girls. Which they are "strongly encouraged and suggested" not to. Where is the reasoning behind that in the AFI?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn&#39;t know about the change to the AFI about dreds. This is typical, IMO.

Blond, If you have a copy of the new 36-2903, can you please pass it this way?

I can&#39;t believe they pulled this ish. It seems that they are attacking us(sistas) first it was the no short short faded hair styles(which I had only seen sistas rockin now Locs too. What is the reasoning? Not like it matters, they will do what they like. So happy to be broke and free. They need to get on those "becky&#39;s" about those ponytails and messed up colors!
    [/b]
    Oh, it&#39;s not just us, they got on the "Becky&#39;s" too! The Uniform Board Results dated 20 Oct 056 states that long hair will be secured with no loose ends, which is interpreted in my squadron as "no loose ponytails". They gotta have their mess in a bun!! :lol: No more swinging ponytails...well, at least in my squadron.
    Ask me about Zumba Fitness!
    http://27868.zumba.com/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blondnaps, I still give you your props for being an E5! Is that TSgt or MSgt?
    [/b]
    SSgt

I have done more research on this topic on another website
    [/b]
    Which website was that?

If the military (or, at least, certain individuals in the military) didn&#39;t look on hair as an ethnic issue at times, then the white girls where I&#39;ve been would be allowed to wear cornrows and long microbraid styles, just like the black girls.
    [/b]
    I was thinking the same thing, and actually most place I&#39;ve been it&#39;s not strongly encouraged or suggested. They just pull that faddish card on them, and that&#39;s the end of that.

Oh, it&#39;s not just us, they got on the "Becky&#39;s" too!............................... They gotta have their mess in a bun!! :lol: No more swinging ponytails...well, at least in my squadron.
    [/b]
    Mine too, and some females I know were as upset about that as we get about our hair.
    PROUD SAHM,USMC WIFE, & USAF VETERAN

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a Squadron Superintendent (Germany) and I have not heard anything about locs not being allowed. In fact we have a young lady with locs on base. I am not surprised that they are doing this. The are not very sympathetic towards our hair care needs (they recently banned the scrunchie...go figure).
    [url="http://www.mysisterlocks.com"]Click To View My Sisterlock Journey At ([url]www.MySisterlocks.Com[/url]).[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta disagree a little with LaLove. If the military (or, at least, certain individuals in the military) didn&#39;t look on hair as an ethnic issue at times, then the white girls where I&#39;ve been would be allowed to wear cornrows and long microbraid styles, just like the black girls. Which they are "strongly encouraged and suggested" not to. Where is the reasoning behind that in the AFI?
    [/b]

I see what you are saying but that was not my point. The military has never tries to tell anyone that they cannot wear their hair how it grows out of their head. Like microbraids on a white female, dreads are a hair style. A choice. Nobody has to have them. I am in the military and attend one of the service academies and their is a black girl at my school who is locking. Is it against the regs? Yes it is. But people do not understand it enough to say anything. When they do and she has to cut her hair off to get rid of them I will not feel sorry for her because she knew it was wrong and did it anyway. Most of the time when their is a reg and it changes then they make it so those who already had do not have to change. I am not sure what the Air Force does but I am sure the reg change probably does not apply to those who already have dreads.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast