Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

I posted this here, because I know A LOT of us are considering locing soon, we'll the USAF is ALL over it and with all the recent hair changes they have now included dred locks...this is an email I received from our MSG Chief on 21 Jun

Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 10:07 AM
    To: Roy-Johnson Glenn C CMSgt
    Subject: Locks

RJ,

I think this may be a "change"... I've never noticed it before. AFI36-2903 15 JUNE 2006, Table 1.5. Personal Grooming Standards specifically states:

"Dreadlocks are not authorized"

Since a lot of time/effort goes into conditioning hair to "lock" I think troops need to be forewarned so their efforts won't be wasted.
    Could you please forward this to the AACA ( African American Cultural Association) e-mail grouping? Just trying to get it out to the right audience.

v/r,

Chief Davis

//Signed//

CYNTHIA E. DAVIS, CMSgt, USAF
    Superintendent, 319th Mission Support Group

So for those of us who already have locs.....WATCH OUT....you know the counseling sessions will be coming soon and for those of us who considered locing...we'll I guess my dream is going to be put on hold for 13 more years...keep us updated on what your leadership is saying. I will be posting this is the LOC discussion forum also to prewarn those military ladies

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since white folks know nothing about our hair, I wonder if they would confuse twists for locs. I once heard a tennis announcer call Venus' and Serena's beaded braids, "beaded dread locs."

Are twists unauthorized too?
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been trying to see a copy every since they sent out an email stating that it was revised. They sent a link to e-publishing; well that takes me to the 2002 version. Can someone hook me up; it's a shame I gotta request info on an AF reg on np.com. Google has not helped, neither has about.com, military.com, or any of my other usual spots. My husband and I were just discussing locs in the military (really hair in the military) this morning. One of my squadron members is about 6 months or so into the process. They look beautiful, and she's so happy with them. That's a shame.

ETA ~ NappymeHappyme poses a good question. Two-strands are my staple style, and I planned to do some yarn twists in a couple weeks. I might have to weave it up for the next x number of days. :icon_headshake:

LuvJones-Don&#39;t you miss it? <_< I&#39;m a ways back, but I&#39;m behind you.
    PROUD SAHM,USMC WIFE, & USAF VETERAN

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be funny, but it raises another question. Does or can this prevent a person from being drafted? And why should people have to change the way they look to fight for this country?
    Last Perm: September 2005
    Last Press: November 2005
    My Fotki!
    PW: savvynappy
    My Myspace Page!

I have never been turned away from a job because of my hair. I have always been hired and uplifted for the knowledge I obtain, and going natural just aids in symbolizing that idea.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I believe this is coming down the pipe line with "All hands on Deck" folks. Dang Blonds sorry to read this.
    Natural since 1998.
    Member on Nappturality since 2003
    Proud NOTM May 2005

http://www.facebook.com/jazitones?ref=name

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I was in the Air Force for 5 years and never knew that locs were ever authorized. So with that said, I guess I can say I&#39;m not surprised that they&#39;re making these changes. I do feel bad for those who are already loc&#39;d or were planning to though. When I was in, I used to wear braids sometimes and they were cool with them as long as I kept them above the bottom of my collar. But I guess the locs are just too much for them to handle or does this mean they&#39;ll be changing the reg regarding braids as well?
    Last CFC: 5-30-06
    I Big Chopped: 9-23-06
    Check out [url="http://public.fotki.com/miss-kn/"]My Fotki[/url] last updated Oct 5, 2006 password: natural

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blondnaps,
    I&#39;m so sorry your dream has to be deferred for 13 years..I feel you. I&#39;m an Air Force kid (born at Castle AFB) and truly remember when the good old USAF had issues with servicemen and women with Afros in the 70s. My dad had since retired but cut hair on the side so I used to see servicemen come to him and ask him to shape it up and keep it 35-10 . What&#39;s up with Uncle Sam anyways? You can&#39;t serve your country with locs? Too ethnic for them? (That&#39;s one I used to hear at lot from my best friend&#39;s Dads C.O.). Retarded is what it is..you can&#39;t sport your natural hair the way you want to but you sho can sew some OP/horse/Yak hair in your head and they&#39;re okay with that! Seriously if the powers that be had to issue a new regulation about natural hair it must be scaring them and that in and of itself is power. Oh and must give you your props for being CMSgt, you go girl! I know that making rank ain&#39;t easy..shoot my Dad stopped at SSGT cause he got tired of the BS and moonlighted by cutting hair. Your dream may be deferred but not denied!
    Keep your head up and peace. :wub:
    <div align="center">
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    2009 is loc&#39;d and loaded, all the time!"

My Hair Album</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m not surprised. The military has always been somewhat anal about these things. It&#39;s not about race. There&#39;s no such thing as individuality in the U.S. Fighting Forces. They want everybody to be a blendable team unit. No exceptions.
    Jada1111
    Four years napptural and loving it!

http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
    PW: flower

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m not surprised. The military has always been somewhat anal about these things. It&#39;s not about race. There&#39;s no such thing as individuality in the U.S. Fighting Forces. They want everybody to be a blendable team unit. No exceptions.
    [/b]
    Point well taken, jada1111...GI=Government Issue..A blendable team unit being whole purpose of basic training. My Dad used to say the same thing.
    <div align="center">
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    2009 is loc&#39;d and loaded, all the time!"

My Hair Album</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good question ladies...could they have twist confused with locs? We&#39;ll from my own personal experience two months ago I was wearing twist and the same Chief Davis ( who is a black women) came up to me told me she LOVED my hair, but that it was unprofessional. Its was disappointing and of course I wanted to choke her out...LOL. And now that this is coming down, I have to admit that after a week, my twist look just like locs....so there is a thin line between twist and locs and if someone came up to me and called me out about my twists it would be warranted. They haven&#39;t actually said "TWISTS" aren&#39;t authorized though...they do make a point to say cornrolls, braids and microbraids can be worn.

And SoutherShorty, when I get back to work on Mon. I will PM you that reg.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast