Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

I posted this here, because I know A LOT of us are considering locing soon, we'll the USAF is ALL over it and with all the recent hair changes they have now included dred locks...this is an email I received from our MSG Chief on 21 Jun

Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 10:07 AM
    To: Roy-Johnson Glenn C CMSgt
    Subject: Locks

RJ,

I think this may be a "change"... I've never noticed it before. AFI36-2903 15 JUNE 2006, Table 1.5. Personal Grooming Standards specifically states:

"Dreadlocks are not authorized"

Since a lot of time/effort goes into conditioning hair to "lock" I think troops need to be forewarned so their efforts won't be wasted.
    Could you please forward this to the AACA ( African American Cultural Association) e-mail grouping? Just trying to get it out to the right audience.

v/r,

Chief Davis

//Signed//

CYNTHIA E. DAVIS, CMSgt, USAF
    Superintendent, 319th Mission Support Group

So for those of us who already have locs.....WATCH OUT....you know the counseling sessions will be coming soon and for those of us who considered locing...we'll I guess my dream is going to be put on hold for 13 more years...keep us updated on what your leadership is saying. I will be posting this is the LOC discussion forum also to prewarn those military ladies

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since white folks know nothing about our hair, I wonder if they would confuse twists for locs. I once heard a tennis announcer call Venus' and Serena's beaded braids, "beaded dread locs."

Are twists unauthorized too?
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been trying to see a copy every since they sent out an email stating that it was revised. They sent a link to e-publishing; well that takes me to the 2002 version. Can someone hook me up; it's a shame I gotta request info on an AF reg on np.com. Google has not helped, neither has about.com, military.com, or any of my other usual spots. My husband and I were just discussing locs in the military (really hair in the military) this morning. One of my squadron members is about 6 months or so into the process. They look beautiful, and she's so happy with them. That's a shame.

ETA ~ NappymeHappyme poses a good question. Two-strands are my staple style, and I planned to do some yarn twists in a couple weeks. I might have to weave it up for the next x number of days. :icon_headshake:

LuvJones-Don&#39;t you miss it? <_< I&#39;m a ways back, but I&#39;m behind you.
    PROUD SAHM,USMC WIFE, & USAF VETERAN

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;ve been trying to see a copy every since they sent out an email stating that it was revised. They sent a link to e-publishing; well that takes me to the 2002 version. Can someone hook me up; it&#39;s a shame I gotta request info on an AF reg on np.com. Google has not helped, neither has about.com, military.com, or any of my other usual spots. My husband and I were just discussing locs in the military (really hair in the military) this morning. One of my squadron members is about 6 months or so into the process. They look beautiful, and she&#39;s so happy with them. That&#39;s a shame.

ETA ~ NappymeHappyme poses a good question. Two-strands are my staple style, and I planned to do some yarn twists in a couple weeks. I might have to weave it up for the next x number of days. :icon_headshake:

LuvJones-Don&#39;t you miss it? <_< I&#39;m a ways back, but I&#39;m behind you.
    [/b]

:wub: I miss the paycheck but that&#39;s it.

I can&#39;t believe they pulled this ish. It seems that they are attacking us(sistas) first it was the no short short faded hair styles(which I had only seen sistas rockin now Locs too. What is the reasoning? Not like it matters, they will do what they like. So happy to be broke and free. They need to get on those "becky&#39;s" about those ponytails and messed up colors!

Much love to all my AF sistas!

I am in the military and my service never did allow locks. It is not about race or ethnicity like a previous poster said. The military does not care. It sucks that some always have to see that as the reason for everything.
    [/b]

Well until this came down there was NOTHING in writing forbiding locs as long as they could fit under your cap and didn&#39;t exceed the bulk stated in the AFI people could grumble but they couldn&#39;t MAKE you take them out. S

Blondnaps, are you going to stop wearing twist, cause you know folks aren&#39;t going to be able to tell the difference. Goodness I hate them <_<

I&#39;ve met one AA female Chief and she was a female dog but she was only a female dog to the AA airmen( I was in ALS and she was the ALS and the NCOA. She was a hateful permie( I was a permie too) but it was like she hated "us"
    ~Never allow someone with limited vision to limit yours~
    Officially Nappy 6 Feb 03
    Loc Journey began 17 Mar 07
    I be bloggin'...PM me for the lank!
    iStruggle...I'm a work in progress
    If I don't respond to your post directed at me, I probably have you on ignore #truestory

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn&#39;t know about the change to the AFI about dreds. This is typical, IMO.

Blond, If you have a copy of the new 36-2903, can you please pass it this way?

I can&#39;t believe they pulled this ish. It seems that they are attacking us(sistas) first it was the no short short faded hair styles(which I had only seen sistas rockin now Locs too. What is the reasoning? Not like it matters, they will do what they like. So happy to be broke and free. They need to get on those "becky&#39;s" about those ponytails and messed up colors!
    [/b]
    Oh, it&#39;s not just us, they got on the "Becky&#39;s" too! The Uniform Board Results dated 20 Oct 056 states that long hair will be secured with no loose ends, which is interpreted in my squadron as "no loose ponytails". They gotta have their mess in a bun!! :lol: No more swinging ponytails...well, at least in my squadron.
    Ask me about Zumba Fitness!
    http://27868.zumba.com/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Nappies In The Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by LuvJones View Post
    :wub: I miss the paycheck but that's it.

I can't believe they pulled this ish. It seems that they are attacking us(sistas) first it was the no short short faded hair styles(which I had only seen sistas rockin now Locs too. What is the reasoning? Not like it matters, they will do what they like. So happy to be broke and free. They need to get on those "becky's" about those ponytails and messed up colors!

Much love to all my AF sistas!

Well until this came down there was NOTHING in writing forbiding locs as long as they could fit under your cap and didn't exceed the bulk stated in the AFI people could grumble but they couldn't MAKE you take them out. S

Blondnaps, are you going to stop wearing twist, cause you know folks aren't going to be able to tell the difference. Goodness I hate them <_<

I've met one AA female Chief and she was a female dog but she was only a female dog to the AA airmen( I was in ALS and she was the ALS and the NCOA. She was a hateful permie( I was a permie too) but it was like she hated "us"

I agree. It's completely ridiculous. It's a shame that racism exist in the military. I was getting frustrated with stories, so I decided to start a petition allowing African-American women to start wearing locks. https://www.change.org/p/brittany-ja...n-the-military. I know that the Army and the marines allows it, but not the navy and the air force. This definitely need to change. I do think it's very discriminative.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be funny, but it raises another question. Does or can this prevent a person from being drafted? And why should people have to change the way they look to fight for this country?
    Last Perm: September 2005
    Last Press: November 2005
    My Fotki!
    PW: savvynappy
    My Myspace Page!

I have never been turned away from a job because of my hair. I have always been hired and uplifted for the knowledge I obtain, and going natural just aids in symbolizing that idea.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be funny, but it raises another question. Does or can this prevent a person from being drafted? And why should people have to change the way they look to fight for this country?
    [/b]
    If they ever reinstate the draft, I just might have to flee to Canada with my locs.... :lol:
    I just want you to recognize me in the temple, you can&#39;t hurt me I found peace within myself--Michael Jackson (RIP)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I believe this is coming down the pipe line with "All hands on Deck" folks. Dang Blonds sorry to read this.
    Natural since 1998.
    Member on Nappturality since 2003
    Proud NOTM May 2005

http://www.facebook.com/jazitones?ref=name

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I was in the Air Force for 5 years and never knew that locs were ever authorized. So with that said, I guess I can say I&#39;m not surprised that they&#39;re making these changes. I do feel bad for those who are already loc&#39;d or were planning to though. When I was in, I used to wear braids sometimes and they were cool with them as long as I kept them above the bottom of my collar. But I guess the locs are just too much for them to handle or does this mean they&#39;ll be changing the reg regarding braids as well?
    Last CFC: 5-30-06
    I Big Chopped: 9-23-06
    Check out [url="http://public.fotki.com/miss-kn/"]My Fotki[/url] last updated Oct 5, 2006 password: natural

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast