Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LALOVE STATED:
    I see what you are saying but that was not my point. The military has never tries to tell anyone that they cannot wear their hair how it grows out of their head. Like microbraids on a white female, dreads are a hair style. A choice. Nobody has to have them. I am in the military and attend one of the service academies and their is a black girl at my school who is locking. Is it against the regs? Yes it is. But people do not understand it enough to say anything. When they do and she has to cut her hair off to get rid of them I will not feel sorry for her because she knew it was wrong and did it anyway. Most of the time when their is a reg and it changes then they make it so those who already had do not have to change. I am not sure what the Air Force does but I am sure the reg change probably does not apply to those who already have dreads.

i understand what your saying, people who willfully go agaisnt the regs can make life bad for everyone but the air force regs have never restricted the wearing of dreads. This is new and unannoused. we have uniform borads evey six months and at the end of the last board there was not metion of restricting dreads. a message was sent out air force wide restricting things like scrunches and loose hanging hair and short hair cuts for women. nothing about dreads. and the don't neccessarily have to tell existing lock wearing that they are exempt. I know that Army, Navy, and Marines have restricted dreads for many years so those service member have no recorse but us spoiled air force folk will have to fight this one.

oh and for folks that claim dreads are fadish they need to read some history. Locking hair has been around for centuries unlike perms waves and weaves which are relatively new in comparison. So that arguement fall short also.

on a lighter note, nice to see that we have allot of military memebers on here.

tanya
    <div align="center">Blackluvdmom&#39;s album</div>
    <div align="center">My Blog</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey ladies...UPDATE I have the reg right Here and the reason why we haven&#39;t seen it yet is because its a June 2006 version!!

All of you that ask for the REG I will PM all of you individually and ask for your email so that I can actually send you the REG.

And concerning blackluvmom source saying that it has been "retracted with no explanation, and no proposed release date. So as of right now, that AFI is NOT being used"

I believe that is inaccurate and AFI&#39;s have never worked that way...anywho I will be sending the PM&#39;s out..it&#39;s disappointing, but I have read it with my own eyes

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone has said here before I think the AF has just pick a fight. Is there a clause like the tattoo clause from years ago? It stated that if you already had a large tattoo then you could keep it as long as it wasn&#39;t racially or sexually inappropriate. It just seems they don&#39;t have a good reason. I&#39;ve seen locs that look professional and are within the reg. This could get ugly. I&#39;m pulling for you ladies :wub:
    ~Never allow someone with limited vision to limit yours~
    Officially Nappy 6 Feb 03
    Loc Journey began 17 Mar 07
    I be bloggin'...PM me for the lank!
    iStruggle...I'm a work in progress
    If I don't respond to your post directed at me, I probably have you on ignore #truestory

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Girl the reg starts talking about what length and wear is illegal and then at the very end of the paragraph out of no where it says,
    " Dreaklocks are not authorized" then it moves to another paragraph and starts talking about something else..No clause, no stipulations just that one sentence short and straight to the point. Matter of fact it could be easily overlooked because like I said it comes out of no where. Girllllllll this is so disheartening, but like I said in the Loc Thread I&#39;m going to start calling out these white girls and their "rooster tails and buns that exceed the authorized bulk" Shoot I know you dont miss this lifestyle...LOL

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m not surprised. The military has always been somewhat anal about these things. It&#39;s not about race. There&#39;s no such thing as individuality in the U.S. Fighting Forces. They want everybody to be a blendable team unit. No exceptions.
    [/b]
    IA. I was thinking the same thing. I hope it all works out for you, Blondnaps.
    Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

Weekly (sometimes Daily) Updates!

Come visit my album! Sit back and have fun! Leave a comment!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay I finally saw the squadron mate I mentioned in my first post. Funny how our first words to each other are always about our hair. I asked what she was going to do about her locs (she asked me what was up w/the braids and since when was I wearing synthetic hair :blush: I got them to replace my twists, but she&#39;s only seen me w/twists or an afro). This is her response to me. Girl.....I didn&#39;t get you in on that email traffic? It was about 80 emails w/me and several other females. That reg was already rescinded. I&#39;m not doing anything w/my locs and if they do go ahead w/it they&#39;re going to have grandfather me. End of response. I do believe that the reg was rescinded. That would explain why it was available on epubs and then dissapeared. It&#39;s funny how I kind of ....... I can&#39;t even explain it. All I know is that I saw her locs when they were the initial twists, so they&#39;re special to me too. The first time we met we were across the room from each other, I looked up, and said hey her hair is like mine. We started walking towards each other and then found out that she had mini plaits/braids and I had mini twists. Even my NCO noticed, he walked by us standing there talking and said they have the same hairdo. Yesterday I saw her at a Sq Commander&#39;s Call (0-6, E-8, and every O and E rank below those were present). My friend works in CSS, so she sees all of the powers that be on a daily basis. If anybody were going to get called out, it would be her especially considering some of the people in our squadron. I&#39;m at a Det, so I only see them when I go to Yongsan (Seoul).
    PROUD SAHM,USMC WIFE, & USAF VETERAN

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the Navy, an email message came out from the MCPON about dreads AND twists not being authorized. I will have too look it up. It basically came down to them saying that twists are "faddish". I will make it my business to find it and post some of the verbage. Many found t offensive. I was told that my fingercombed fro was faddish, but yet it is patted down with no hairs sticking out all over the place. Amongst the Chiefs, they talk about my hair being "unkempt".
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweetpotatoe- Yes we can wear aTWA, but it can&#39;t be past a certain height ( they break that down for us to...LOL) Even though my hair is long when stretched I have MAJOR shrinkage so I&#39;m good for the most part.
    What I&#39;m thinking about is winter time...twists were/are my staple. And my twist look like locs...I plan on making this a career and I have learned to pick my battles. As I said before I have only met one black female CMSgt in my career and I want to be one of those one day..Getting marked down on my EPR ( performance reports) for Dress & Appearance is not an option for me...so I&#39;m going to have to play it safe and not wear twists until my hair gets long enough to pin them into a french roll or bun. I figure they can&#39;t say anything to me then because they won&#39;t be sticking all over the place like they do now when I wear twist
    [/b]
    Former AF lady cking in....I have some questions.

-It this an issue about short hair sticking up all over the place and short hair do&#39;s? Someone else mentioned that they (AF) do not allow extra short hairdo&#39;s for women either.

-If I had locs long enough to wear as a bun would the average person know they were locs and not long twists?

If push came to shove and I was growing short locs in the AF, I would never cut my locs. :icon_headshake: I&#39;d just were a wig.

{you&#39;re welcome 70ssoulchild }

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this doesn&#39;t suprise me. im actually suprised it took this long for them to finally say no to locs. in my eyes, it is considered a "faddish" style although i&#39;ve seen some gorgeous well kept locs around my base. when i first went natural my co-workers and chain of command thought nothing of it.. but lately with changes to our leadership there have been talks about my hair. the whole subject is such a pisser offer..

just another reason to add to why i want to hurry up and get out of the military!!
    "[b][i] If we are extremists, then we are not ashamed of it, for the conditions that our people suffer are extreme, and extreme illness can not be cured with moderate medicine."
    - Malcolm X [/b] [/i]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing about locs in the message below, but time will tell. I received this by email today.

7/13/2006 - WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- An update to Air Force Instruction
    36-2903, Air Force Uniform Dress and Appearance, will soon be released,
    said Air Force officials.

A key feature of this updated instruction will be the return of heritage
    to the enlisted corps -- chevrons on the sleeves and circles around the
    U.S. insignia.

"Over the years, we&#39;ve made changes that made sense at the time, but had
    the effect of moving us away from our heritage," said Air Force Chief of
    Staff Gen. T. Michael Moseley. "Chevrons on sleeves and circles around
    the U.S. insignia are historical symbols of the finest noncommissioned
    officer corps on the planet. We need to return that heritage to them and
    reconnect them to the great NCOs who went before them."

The circle around the U.S. was eliminated in 1991, said Senior Master
    Sgt. Dana Athnos of the Air Force Uniform Board.

"Yet, every uniform board since received requests to return that to the
    enlisted force, so it has been done," she said. "Wearing the circle on
    the lapel has a lasting heritage that dates back to April 27, 1918."

The change will include the removal of senior NCO shoulder boards from
    the blue uniform and from all upper garments, except the optional wool
    sweaters. Implementation dates will be reflected in the revised AFI.

The updates will also include information about the new air staff badge
    and new space badge. Desert combat uniforms are now only authorized on
    civilian flights to and from the area of responsibility. Also, Air Force
    personnel are not authorized to wear desert boots with the battle dress
    uniform.

As a reminder, Oct. 1 marks the mandatory wear of physical training
    gear. All Airmen will be required to have one running suit, two T-shirts
    and two pair of shorts. Also beginning in October, enlisted Airmen will
    receive an increase in their clothing allowance to offset the increase
    of the mandatory number of T-shirts and shorts from two sets to three
    sets in October 2007.

Air Force officials emphasized that Airmen should not wait until October
    to purchase these items. The revised AFI will clarify wear of the PT
    gear by specifying that when doing organized PT, the shorts and T-shirts
    will be worn as a set and not mixed with civilian clothes; however, at
    other times the PT gear, to include the running suit, can be worn with
    civilian clothes.

More clarification will be provided about sister service badges, as well
    as cell phone use in uniform. New guidance about the wear of flight
    clothing also is incorporated in the updated document.

The new AFI will be available for all Airmen later this month.

"The Air Force Uniform Board, chaired by Air Force A1, reviews any
    matters related to Air Force uniforms involving possible improvements,
    and in turn, provides recommendations to the chief of staff for a final
    decision," Sergeant Athnos said. "It&#39;s a deliberate process that is
    focused on feedback from the field to better accomplish our mission."
    PROUD SAHM,USMC WIFE, & USAF VETERAN

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast