ashta is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have to say that if this were dave chapelle's race bowl, i'd have to trade jennifer beals to the white group. i'd keep vanessa williams and prolly even mariah.

i don't think beals would like being called black under any circumstances. don't seem to me like she even wants to be associated with blacks. aside from devil in a blue dress, have you ever seen that chick near black folk? black people probably scare her.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as a recovering mentally brainwashed person i feel i have insight although i recognize everyones story aint the same

but here is the thing- i was always praised for my features that were less "ethnic" small pointy nose, fair complexion, long extremely straigh (lifeless permed) hair. I went through two phases (im an extremist) one phase where i rebelled against all thing white and the other phase (the most detrimental) where i fed into it more. Because i already looked somewhat mixed - it was easy to pass weave and contacts off as mine. I really lost part of myself in that phase and i am so blessed i am over it and wiser
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/bluesaki/"]http://public.fotki.com/bluesaki/[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had just posted a thread in the natural section "Can you really just like straight hair?" cuz I have met people on facebook on the discussion boards that got really defensive right when the hair topic came up. Some were like "some people don&#39;t look right with the natural look, some people just like straight hair". I really had to think if this is a true statement and not some "mental slavery/self hatred" kind of thing. People that relax their hair are real quick to say "i am not my hair" (thanx india.arie <_< ) and get mad when someone brings up hair "get over it...it&#39;s just hair"

I don&#39;t kno...I&#39;m just confused
    LAST evil chemical fire cream: March 17, 2006
    BC: NOVEMBER 19,2006
    Started Locs: June 28, 2008
    Cut off Locs: March 14, 2009
    http://b1.lilypie.com/73u9m4/.png
    http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4...giecomp.th.jpg

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel that the age in which we live in allows individuals to experiment & stretch out on who they feel they need to be as individuals.

Vinny, you say &#39;trying to be white&#39; but that is a loaded statement because the assumption is that anything that can be construed as outside the black experience could associated with some form of self hatred or being whitewashed. I think your assumptions are incorrect.

One of my sisters has colored contacts. She ain&#39;t trying to be white, what she is trying to do is find a voice for herself. Find someplace that she fits. She also happens to look really cool with them.

One could easily turn it around and say "hey, look at those white folks sun bathing, they trying to be black.." or "Hey, look at those whiggas, they trying to be black!" or whatever. You mentioned the physcial, but should the line be drawn there? What about cultural crossovers.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sometimes, people just look better with straight hair (complements their facial structer...etc), than they do nappy. In that case, i think it&#39;s ok. nothing to do with "trying to be white".

ms_rite is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The photo of MJB looks like a white woman with tanned skin. And yet, in real life MJB could never pass for white. And I&#39;m sure she still calls herself a strong black woman. Heh. She makes a funny representation.
    [/b]
    I have always thought that about MJB...in fact when I saw her on a cover of Essence a few years ago (I couldn&#39;t find the picture) she reminded me of that old white woman from "There&#39;s something about Mary"....

Scary thing is...they do kind of look alike dont they.... :unsure:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vinny, I think that you&#39;ve made excellent points throughout the thread. The problem with the argument that we should not question whether or not racism has affected the Black aesthetic is that it is completely ahistorical. It seems to either deny or forget the fact that enslaved Africans were taught that everything about them was inferior to Whites, their intelligence, their languages, their religion, and even their features. Blacks, in order to distance themselves away from what was seen as inferior, began changing our appearance so that is was closer to a European perspective. Hair straightening tools were sold alongside of (and even packaged with) skin bleaching cream, both of which were advertised as essentials for true beauty and advancement in life. Therefore, it is not crazy or judgmental to question whether or not such an experience has affected our collective psyche and thus informs the choices we make today.
    "To whom much is given much is required."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vinny, I think that you&#39;ve made excellent points throughout the thread. The problem with the argument that we should not question whether or not racism has affected the Black aesthetic is that it is completely ahistorical. It seems to either deny or forget the fact that enslaved Africans were taught that everything about them was inferior to Whites, their intelligence, their languages, their religion, and even their features. Blacks, in order to distance themselves away from what was seen as inferior, began changing our appearance so that is was closer to a European perspective. Hair straightening tools were sold alongside of (and even packaged with) skin bleaching cream, both of which were advertised as essentials for true beauty and advancement in life. Therefore, it is not crazy or judgmental to question whether or not such an experience has affected our collective psyche and thus informs the choices we make today.
    [/b]
    Right. You can see it to this day in Essence magazine.

There have been times when I&#39;ve confused Beyonce for a tanned white girl. She&#39;s got the kinda tanned skin and blonde hair so many white girls have (I&#39;m going to stop now and wait for the Beyonce haterade folks to come). And Mary J. for real does look like a tanned white woman. :icon_headshake:. I also think that nowadays folks wanna look like ambiguous Latinas, but as we&#39;ve seen they definitely aren&#39;t trying to look like the "Afro"-Latinas.
    My fotki!
    ~small June update~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(it&#39;s alright).
    Big Chop: January 2004

Current style: Big azz afro

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so late to this thread and I did not bother to read the whole thing but ITA with Vinny. When someone says they like straight hair, lighter skin, thinner noses we have to ask why.

I remember in an African history class our professor asked us why did we wear our hair the way we do. I was permed at the time and all the permed students went on and on how it&#39;s just a preference, it&#39;s more managable, we look better with straight hair, etc. So he asked us why do we prefer straight hair and how do we know it&#39;s more managable or that we look better with it if we never handled our own natural hair. I have to tell you he had us going in circles, none of us could give a valid answer or explain logically why we liked straight hair. Just because was not a valid answer.

I can&#39;t speak for everyone in the world with straight hair but when some people have asked me why I am natural and I turned the question around they could not give a valid answer either. They all permed because their mother or some other well meaning person told them their hair was ugly and unmanagable. They straightened because their mother straightened, she straigtened because her mother straightened and so on. So although we (in general) in this generation can glibly say we straighten because we want to, if we go deeper we will see that this "preferance" did not start with us and it started as a desire to be as close to white as possible.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast