knwill is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, it's not that bad, it's just something I've noticed and it's hurt my heart a little bit. I am on another forum (shoot it's mine ) and since I've been nappy my positive comments about my hair has gone from loads to sprinkles. Why it's hurtful is that a lot of these women a) have expressed the beauty of natural hair (although they're relaxed), yet don't seem to really believe it B) have given lots of kudos to other women who've gone natural that are in the 3 ranges c) these women have all (or almost all) claimed that they are not "hairstruck", however it seems otherwise. Now I'm not saying this is the case with all of them, but it's a phenomenon I've noticed and I'd be blind not to notice it.

I also wanted to note that I received a negative comment in my fotki recently (that I assume was placed there by a member of said forum) that I promptly deleted, but before that the last negative comment I had gotten was during the first time I was natural in 94.

I'm writing I guess mostly to vent, but I was wondering if others have gone through this themselves?

*I've also noted in a lot of napptural albums ppl. will say, "I love your texture" to ppl. who are more on the curly than kinky end of the napptural spectrum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NAPPY *my hair blog*
    Babyhead Diaries *My Parenting Blog*
    Why do writers write? Because it isn't there. - Thomas Berger

fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are crazy/funny, laught at them. When I first went out with my newly napptural hair I had some dirty looking boy say to me loudly that I need a perm. In about five minutes, another guy, still dirty but nice asked me for my phone number. As for females, some say I look like I have a weird jherri curl while others ask extremely detailed questions on how I get my hair to do whatever. As for the butt who left you the mean comment she need to understand it's just hair, more specifically, it's your hair. How is it her business what you do to it?
    <div align="center">Still learning and growing
    Ever learning and growing
    So stop judging and grow with me</div>

knwill is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mica, thanks for your comment. I really try not to let it get me down, but a lot of these women are like sisters to me, so it&#39;s like a family member always saying how cute you are and then suddenly you go napptural and they have nothing to say anymore, it&#39;s like dang it&#39;s like that! :lol:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NAPPY *my hair blog*
    Babyhead Diaries *My Parenting Blog*
    Why do writers write? Because it isn't there. - Thomas Berger

fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn&#39;t worry about it. Many people say one thing, but truly believe another. As another poster said, in the same day I can have someone raving about my hair, someone looking at me strangely, and someone calling my hair nappy meant as an insult. The varying reactions come with the napptural territory.
    She whom the Son sets free is free indeed!

[url="http://www.myspace.com/shys1stgirl"]Myspace![/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could care less what others have to say about my hair. As long as I like it that&#39;s all that matters.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, it&#39;s not that bad, it&#39;s just something I&#39;ve noticed and it&#39;s hurt my heart a little bit. I am on another forum (shoot it&#39;s mine ) and since I&#39;ve been nappy my positive comments about my hair has gone from loads to sprinkles. Why it&#39;s hurtful is that a lot of these women a) have expressed the beauty of natural hair (although they&#39;re relaxed), yet don&#39;t seem to really believe it B) have given lots of kudos to other women who&#39;ve gone natural that are in the 3 ranges c) these women have all (or almost all) claimed that they are not "hairstruck", however it seems otherwise. Now I&#39;m not saying this is the case with all of them, but it&#39;s a phenomenon I&#39;ve noticed and I&#39;d be blind not to notice it.

I also wanted to note that I received a negative comment in my fotki recently (that I assume was placed there by a member of said forum) that I promptly deleted, but before that the last negative comment I had gotten was during the first time I was natural in 94.

I&#39;m writing I guess mostly to vent, but I was wondering if others have gone through this themselves?

*I&#39;ve also noted in a lot of napptural albums ppl. will say, "I love your texture" to ppl. who are more on the curly than kinky end of the napptural spectrum.
    [/b]

well, you already know that the issue is THEIRS, not yours. When I went home to Louisiana for the 4th of July, my folks got to see that I had once again mowed off my hair (1st time with a weak chemical fire cream; this time i&#39;m all natural). Not one negative comment (althought I know they were p!ssed that I had cut off my re1axed hair just when it was starting to show some real length). My ex boyfriend hated to see the hair was gone but was HAPPY to see ME. He didn&#39;t have any negative comments either.... just missed the length.

I think others are just befuddled, shocked & a tad bit jealous when they see women with TWAs. Also, it is outside their comfort zone. Keep that in mind & don&#39;t take their silence or hesitance to give compliments as a bad thing.

as far as the comments going from lots to just sprinkles. I think that&#39;s fine. The most important thing is that they loved it when you BC&#39;d. But that novelty has kinda worn off. Until you&#39;re able to do something more than sport a TWA, there really isn&#39;t much else for them to say

i&#39;ve reached that point in my journey. it&#39;s still a twa; growing out slowly but surely (entering a weird inbetween stage ). When I hit another phase where I can wear a headband or something like that (can&#39;t wait to get comb coils), i&#39;m sure the compliments/comments will start up again.
    <div align="center"><Last Perm - January 16, 2006>

~Big Chop - April 8, 2006~</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry you got that negative comment in your Fotki. (some ppl just don&#39;t have a life) I can&#39;t say that I have had the same experience: I haven&#39;t updated my album in ages! But, if it makes you feel any better, I&#39;d just like to say that I think your hair is beautiful.

And, yes, I&#39;ve noticed that the "curlier"nappies seem to get more love than the "kinky"nappies. I try to remedy that by showing love to all nappies, especially since we are all in the same napptural boat anyway: all of us are still making peace and coming to love our natural selves more and more each day.
    Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

Weekly (sometimes Daily) Updates!

Come visit my album! Sit back and have fun! Leave a comment!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortantely, Its just one of those things that goes with the territory of being natural. Its a love hate thing.

I hate you! because in their mind they hate your hair "how dare you! not try to conform"

I love you because deep down I wish I had the nerve to do it. (well thats some folk not all)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to do you. I know when I first went natural a lot of people were hating. I was called a lesbian, a little boy, stuoid, ugly... At first it really did bother me. Now, it has been over a year and the same people are asking me hair questions. "Girl, how are you growing your hair."

Ok, I have been known to leave "I love your texture" comments in people albums, but most of the time I comment on peoples hair length. It just boils down to, if I like something I will comment on it.
    My avatar is my ultimate goal.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think some people are just obsessed to the &#39;nth&#39; degree with hair length. I&#39;ve ALWAYS been a fan of your hair album - r.elaxed or not, so by visiting there a lot, I have noticed the change in the amount of comments you received. It seemed like every week another 50 or so would drop comments on how long your hair was getting when you were r.elaxed, but now that you&#39;ve chopped, not so much.

I say, continue to do you. You have healthy, gorgeous hair and no sort of negativity can take that away from you.

I still experience haters (my family included) who make hurtful comments EVERYDAY about my hair, but I just brush it off and move on. I think it actually encourages me to be consistent in taking proper care of my hair. I&#39;m showing them that I love and appreciate my naps...even if they don&#39;t. So my advice to you is to always turn a negative into a positive. Keep ya head up
    Last r.elaxer - December 19th, 2004
    Big Chopped - October 27th, 2005
    Sisterlocked - December 29th-31st, 2008
    <<- Avatar is from September 3rd, 2011

http://public.fotki.com/DeenaSmiles/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast