Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Hi all. I come to you hat in hand cuz I really need your help, strenght and wisdom. This is going to be long, so pour yourself a grape Nehi, make a sandwich and settle in. I did my Big Chop May of 2005. Since then I have been on my journey to embrace my Napptural hair. I shaved my head when I bc'd, so I hid under wigs for a while. I even bought an Afro wig cuz I could'nt wait for my hair to grow out so I could rock a fro. It has just gotten to the lenght where I can wear it in a puff (if I tie it down at night). Here's my problem. I am starting a new job. (I had been out of the workforce for 6 years to care for my Mom.) I had psyched myself up to wear a puff to the interview, but my scarf came off that night and I could'nt get my hair to lay down enough to put it in a neat puff, so I threw on a Quickweave and a headband for the interview. During the interview I was nervous as all heck and the comb from the Quickweave felt like it was pulling out my brains. (That should have been a hint to me then :blush: ) I wasn't sure how my perspective employers would take my natural hair, so in a shameful way I was glad I wasn't able to wear my puff. Well lo and behold my perspective boss walked in the room with beautiful shoulder lenght dreads! I got the job. But now I don't want to seem like a "brown noser" if I bust out in my twist after interviewing in a long curly Quickweave. I start training classes new week. I am so insecure, I sewed a long weave in yesterday. In the old days (before May 2005) I would have rocked that weave. But now I look in the mirror and it just isn't "me" anymore. I never thought I would ever be uncomfortable in a weave, but I am. I want to wear my twist the first day of training but I am afraid my boss will think I am just sucking up to her or that I lacked the confidence to wear my real hair in the first place. (Which is true on some deep level I am ashamed to admit, but don't want her to know. ) Should I continue living an obvious "hair lie" for a while and gradually change to a more Napptural style or should I come straight out Nappy and Happy? P.S. From what I saw at the interview, my boss and I are the only Sisters in the office. Also I am on a 3 month probationary period, so I don't want to rock the boat until I prove myself to them. I look forward to your words of wisdom.

FancyKitten
    [SIZE=2]****My mind is like lightening, one brilliant flash and it&#39;s gone***</span>[/SIZE]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say go for it and wear your twists. Why not? You said that your interviewer had locs. How could you rock a boat that apparently was already rocking? As far as she knows you could just be wanna those women who rock a new style every week. I say just do it. If you don&#39;t you know you&#39;ll still be thinking about it anyway. Why put yourself through that?
    Jailer: "I was framed I tell ya!"

Mae West: "Yes, and they got the perfect picture".

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;d wear the twists if that is what you want to do...if your boss has shoulder-length locks, then trust me, she has probably experienced all kinds of different reactions to her hair and she will understand why you were unsure about sporting your natural hair for a job interview. I highly doubt that she will think you are sucking up because you report for your first day in twists. She probably will know that you inferred from her locks that she is not opposed to natural hair in the workplace, but there&#39;s nothing wrong with that...it&#39;s a logical conclusion. You&#39;ve already said the weave doesn&#39;t feel right for you anymore, so I&#39;d go with the style that is authentic to who you are.
    Challenge Yourself.
    My Fotki: Becoming Natural Password: AuNaturel

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wear your twists. I doubt anyone on your job will give this even 1/10 the amount of thought you have.
    [/b]
    ITA, sometimes people aren&#39;t paying as much attention as you think you are. I would definitely go ahead and wear the twists. You would be more comfortable in them and most likely more capable of performing well on your job instead of being self-conscious about your weave.
    http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ka7/cake-1.jpg

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." ~Mohandas Gandhi~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ITA with everyone, wear your twists. Do what&#39;s best for you and your hair. Don&#39;t put extra damaging things just bc you&#39;re worried about what others will think. You went natural for a reason and what others thought before that wasn&#39;t an issue. So don&#39;t let it be one now :wub:
    [color=#FF99FF]Last CFC May 19th,2006[/color]
    [color=#33CCFF] BC July 22nd,2006[/color]

[url="http://public.fotki.com/mochajava1115/"]http://public.fotki.com/mochajava1115/[/url]
    pw: fuzzycloud

[url="http://www.myspace.com/satinclouds"]http://www.myspace.com/satinclouds[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go for it girl! we often have bad hair days n i know how tough it is to try n get the fro to do something n it wont so i often throw on a pony tail myself but we black women are very versatile when it comes to our hair so i dont think anyone would be suprised to see you wearing your twist. plus if your more comfortable you will be more productive at work. let us know how your first day back went good luck!! :wub:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that you are over thinking the situation. Your supervisor will probably be happy to see another natural sister in the workplace. Hiding behind weaves and wigs is only making you feel self concious so rock your twists like you mean it! ^_^
    Check out my personal style blog! www.fashionnettework.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that you are over thinking the situation. Your supervisor will probably be happy to see another natural sister in the workplace. Hiding behind weaves and wigs is only making you feel self concious so rock your twists like you mean it! ^_^
    [/b]
    ITA. No offense but trust that no one else will put that much energy into this. They won&#39;t even think twice.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ITA...with all the ladies....Rock your natural hair in whatever style you want....think of your interview day as a bad hair day and you did what you had to do...I&#39;m more than sure the interviewer had plenty of bad hair days when she first started out and rocked everything from braid to weaves to matted fros.....until she decided to loc....

And I would not even try to explain to her the reason you had a weave/wig on....that&#39;s your business and reason why only you, GOD, and now your family at nappturality knows the real reason....

Unless your interviewer is a subscriber..... :lol:
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/lou11"]http://public.fotki.com/lou11[/url] updated 1/7/07

skin
    pw: goaway

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks each and everyone of you for your kind words and support. It took my weave out early this morning, cornrowed the front and let the back do whatever it felt like doing! I feel soooo much better. I&#39;m going into my first day at work with my head held high and my naps blow&#39;in in the wind!!!
    [SIZE=2]****My mind is like lightening, one brilliant flash and it&#39;s gone***</span>[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast