Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok NP's I just stumbled across something that I think all ladies/gents who use "black hair care" products should know. Don't know if this has been posted before, but for those of you who know, or don't know Motowngirl (a napptural sista for yrs) has a website www.motowngirl.com and on her site she has posted under Hair Happenings the answer to where most of the money from the Black Hair Care Industry goes. This was very very interesting! It was a little upsetting to know that Koreans are making a TON of money from those of us who buy our products from their stores and they are literally taking over the black hair care industry! Although I am aware that there is a Korean beauty atore on nearly every corner (it seems) I never really stopped to think how much money they make and how they are taking away from the Black Hair Care Industry.

From this day forward I will do my best to no longer support Koreans. Please go to Motowngirl's website and look at the documentation she has. It has 3 parts to it.

This is just FYI. I know there are a vast majority of us who have bought and continue to buy from these stores (including me), but I have a whole new outlook now and I will forever think about that documentation when I go to buy hair care products.

Take Care & Be Blessed!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, that documentary is very, very important. I think we all need to take the time to see it. Roshini also has it posted on her site.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol so where should the money go? does it matter what colour the person is who sells products? its black people who buy these products constantly so who`s to blame. its very simple. koreans gotta eat to and i just cant believe their is movies on ISH like this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol so where should the money go? does it matter what colour the person is who sells products? its black people who buy these products constantly so who`s to blame. its very simple. koreans gotta eat to and i just cant believe their is movies on ISH like this.
    [/b]
    Soulman, the reason this issue is important is because the documentary shows that the Koreans in the black hair industry are making a concerted effort to LOCK black people out of their own industry. It's not just some innocent, free enterprise going on here. The Korean distributors/suppliers refuse to sell wholesale to Black retailers. They will only sell to fellow Korean retailers. This is ILLEGAL. But still it goes on. In the documentary, it showed many industry trade shows, and ALL of the trade magazines are 100% printed in Korean languages. This is yet another tactic used to try and block Black people from participating in an industry that is totally funded by Black people.

As far as your question :"where should the money go?" I am flabbergasted that you are even asking such a question. The answer is: BACK INTO THE BLACK COMMUNITY, of course. Every community has a right to be economically healthy. You say,"Koreans gotta eat too." Well, why should it be at our expense? Are they putting any of the resources they are taking out of the community back into it? No. And guess what? Black people gotta eat, too...do you think the owners of those small Black shops are "eating" the way they should? Do you care?

Now, you are absolutely right when you say that we are to blame for not supporting our Black retailers, and going to the Koreans, because they may be a couple dollars cheaper, or closer to where we live, or whatever. Many of us don't tend to see beyond the immediate gratification of saving a few dollars, to see the bigger picture, in terms of how this practice is affecting our community economically. Why should we be the only community where a dollar gets spent and is gone out of the community, NEVER to return, while in other communities, the dollar gets turned over 7 and 8 times, before it leaves?

Hopefully this documentary will do something to raise the awareness of Black folks, and encourage them to support one another.

Soulman, if you havent watched the documentary, I think you should.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautifully said Iandi :smil3f72836ee752e: Clearly Soulman is clueless about economics, but hopefully this will be a teaching to all those that really did not stop to look at the bigger picture.

the documentary shows that the Koreans in the black hair industry are making a concerted effort to LOCK black people out of their own industry[/b]
    ......an industry funded by Black people!

It's all about awareness, and we have to allow ourselves to become more educated about what's going on in the world because we are a part of that, whether some people want to keep us out or not.

"Education is a progressive discovery of our ignorance."

msdeevan is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ITA

Iandi well said...and it's sad that in many of these korean shops they are disrespectful and outright rude as we are handing over our money to them. Laughing and talking about us in their language. On the other hand I have seen some of us go in there and show out too .

I forgot where I read it at but I read that "African Royale" and" Dr.Miracle" is a Jewish man. I will research it again. We should be more aware of where our dollars go. I'm not saying not to buy a product just because the person selling or manufacturing is not a person of color..but like I said why support people that have a disdain for us like some of the Koreans display?

But then again we try to support a black business like "Naturally you" mag and look at the way we're treated. I guess I'm just flip-flopping today. But I still agree with post.