Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ladies, I need some advice. I have been perm-free for about 3 months. I decided to wear braids while I transition, but they started to pull my hair out along the hairline after only 3 weeks. I took them out last night and tried to do a straw set but it was sooo tight and curly that I didn't like it. I am wearing it back in a bun for now. I was wondering what advice anyone has for getting a sew in? I want to get a curly weave since my roots are no longer straight. What is the best regimen to follow when you get a sew in when you are transitioning? What are some good things to remember for taking care of curly hairweave, and what is the best hair product to use on the hair that is left out of the braid so that it blends well? Thanks and have a blessed week.

Is there anyone that knows of a good natural hairstylist in the Dallas\Ft Worth area? [/b]
    Taking better care of my napps in 08!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a particular reason why you're wanting the sew-in? There are other options besides wearing weaves or braids to transiition. While these can make the transition easier, it'll help you in the long run if you start dealing with your natural hair now.

You can wear styles that will blend the two textures such as twist-outs or braid-outs. This will help you start getting used to your naps instead of being possibly overwhelmed by all your natural hair when you BC.
    http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ka7/cake-1.jpg

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." ~Mohandas Gandhi~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I really would like not to, but my hair is fine and soft. It does not hold styles very well. I honestly don't think a twist out or braid out is going to look good. I really wish I could wear those styles but my texture and length doesn't compliment those styles. My straw set was soo tight it looked like a TWA, so at least I kind of know how it will look when I do the BC. lol. I am going to try but I kind of know it isn't going to look very good. Your twist outs were beautiful though!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing to it but to try, right? You might have to experiment with different products to get the desired result, but I think it'll be really worth it for you to try. You might surprise yourself! And even if it does look messed up the first time, it gets better with time. My first twist out looked like a mess but after a few trials and errors, I got it down. The transition period gives you the opportunity to go through the experimentation phase, I'd say make the best of it!

If the straw set was too coily, try doing a roller set with something larger like the p.erm rods that are sold in the beauty supply stores. You could even do medium or large sized twists and then set those on the rods. I'm sure you could find something that works with your texture

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." ~Mohandas Gandhi~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Rebirth,
    I think that if you'd like to try sew-in weave for your transition then you probably want to take to some hair stylists to see your options. For example, when I was a permie I got a sew-in during high school and (my mom is a hair stylist) my mom braided all my hair in the middle and only left the edges out. Needless, to say after a month or so I had massive new growth. I wore my hair down or in a pony tail. All I did was wash my hair regularly and moisturize.
    But on the other hand, I wore braids a lot and kinky twists during my transition. The key is for whoever is braiding your hair to not do them so tightly to the scalp. Especially the EDGES. I think you should try some nice cornrows with extensioins and then see if you like them. And once you take them out they make for a nice braid-out.

Hope this helps,
    Lakia F. (tinykias)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, so I am going to try the twist out. What is the best way? What is a good way for it to look moisturized\shiny?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, so I am going to try the twist out. What is the best way? What is a good way for it to look moisturized\shiny?
    [/b]
    Well I would be more concerned with your hair being moisturized than looking moisturized. Natural hair doesn't shine like relaxed hair because our natural hair is designed to absorb heat and not reflect it like permed hair that has been damaged. If your hair is healthy, it'll look healthy and feel healthy. Plus, products that add "shine" like grease don't moisturize the hair but coat and suffocate the hair shaft.

You can try flat-twisting it or just sectioning off some hair and 2-strand twisting it and either setting it in bantu knots or putting it on rollers. If flat-twisting, just part down the scalp and twist and grab as you go along. Just remember that the smaller the section, the tighter the result and vice versa so you might want to start somewhere in the middle and go from there.

Product wise, I would use a good moisturizer that doesn't have petroleum or mineral oil in it, and the more natural the product the better. Also, you can use a holding agent like a non-alcohol gel, mousse, or setting lotion to help set the permed ends. After you're done, you can let it dry overnight or sit under a hooder dryer.

Hope this helps!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay thanks soo much.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rebirth- if you have the type of hair that pops off from braids - i would not suggest a sew in. My hair is like that too. any type of extra weight on it stresses it. sometimes with sewn in weave - even though a synthetic braid is used to braid the hair, the thread cuts into your hair.

if the braid out or strw set is what you think your bc will look like- why not get used to it now
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/bluesaki/"]http://public.fotki.com/bluesaki/[/url]