Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want to get a gauge of whether or not, I'm spending too much for groceries. Here's the deal I shop at a 'nice' grocery store, and I buy fresh fruits and veggies. Also, I love deli meats. I'm trying to save money by not going out to eat but I think I'm not making wise desicions...any advise is greatly appreciated. How much should a single woman eat in groceries per month?!
    Perfect is so boring...I just want to be the best Ebe I can be

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow.... Same boat. I'd appreciate some guidance as well... esp. to help with packing my lunch when I go back to school next month.
    [SIZE=2][color=#663366]My personal style: Bohemian Glamour![/color]

Date of last and final chemical fire cream: [color=#CC6600]September 16, 2005[/color]
    Date of Big Chop: [color=#6600CC]July 26, 2006 (10-month transition)[/color]

"I am sure that God Who began the good work in me will keep on working in me until the day Jesus Christ comes again." (Philippians 1:6; New Life Version)[/SIZE]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be about what I would spend if I were alone. But I've been told I'm a food snob, so it may be a little on the high side.
    The only difference between a stumbling block and a stepping stone is how you use it.

Loc journey started 10/6/05 Roxanne's Album
    I LOVE My Space!

Avatar is my locs at 15 months. Yay, I made it!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is a lot of money.....i think that i spend less than $100/month....but then again, i'm on a tight budget, so i've learned to get creative w/tuna :lol: ...and i always buy it when it's on sale for $.99 (it's gotta be solid white tuna....NOT light!)

i ALWAYS check the store circular, and buy whatever is on sale....when they sell ground beef in the family packs....i use some then freeze the rest! i also used to clip coupons, but i don't buy the sunday paper anymore.

even my toilet paper, i have to have scott....but i always wait till it's selling for $.50 and then stock up....instead of buying it for $.80 or whatever the regular price is :lol:

now, maybe you are buying shrimp, lobster, or steak all the time....and if that's the case, i'm waiting for my dinner invitation!
    CHECK OUT MY FOTKI.......
    *pw is sanrio
    updated 8-21-07
    last cfc...august '05~~ BC....1/1/06

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is a lot of money.....i think that i spend less than $100/month....but then again, i'm on a tight budget, so i've learned to get creative w/tuna :lol: ...and i always buy it when it's on sale for $.99 (it's gotta be solid white tuna....NOT light!)

i ALWAYS check the store circular, and buy whatever is on sale....when they sell ground beef in the family packs....i use some then freeze the rest! i also used to clip coupons, but i don't buy the sunday paper anymore.

even my toilet paper, i have to have scott....but i always wait till it's selling for $.50 and then stock up....instead of buying it for $.80 or whatever the regular price is :lol:

now, maybe you are buying shrimp, lobster, or steak all the time....and if that's the case, i'm waiting for my dinner invitation!
    [/b]
    Hell I should be buying shrimp and steak, that's great you can spend such a small amount at the grocery store. I'm thinking of next month going to Meijer to shop for groceries and see how much I can save. Are you saying you buy your food according to what's on sale?
    Perfect is so boring...I just want to be the best Ebe I can be

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds to me like you buy a lot of processed food. Quick things like Lunchables and convenient packs of chips, frozen pizzas and stuff like that. I think $200 is reasonable for a single person a few times a year when you are buying large portions and then separating and freezing them for the other months. I think $125 to 150 is more reasonable.

I suggest cutting coupons from the paper and on the internet and looking at the circulars that come in the mail every week. I used to spread my shopping between 2-3 stores, ie meats at one, paper products from Walmart/Target, everything else at another. It depended on who had a good price for those things. It also had to be multiple items at each store otherwise I was spending gas money. Now I just shop at Trader Joe's and cook my food.

Get in the habit of figuring out your locals stores trends. Do they have good sales at the beginning of the month? Then that's probably when you want to do most of your shopping. You can also schedule out your meals a week at a time and only buy food for that week. That's a money saver too.
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/Kamikak/"][b][SIZE=3]<span style="font-family:Times New Roman">My Album</span></span>[/b][/url] <span style="color:#FF0000">Updated 2/7/07![/SIZE] [b]Check out my Yarn Braids thanks to Natitwists!! Love ya Girl![/b]
    [i][b]NP Class of 2003![/b][/i]

God is Good!!! I love Him with all my heart!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$221! Girl, that&#39;s good. My food budget is $300/mo. and I KNOW that&#39;s not enough. I figure 10 bucks a day on average. This is for my TOTAL food budget - groceries, lunch, eating/drinking with friends.

If you feel like you are spending too much, then cut coupons and try a cheaper &#39;nice&#39; place. I&#39;ve never been to Trader Joe&#39;s but I heard it&#39;s supposed to have good prices.
    . . . Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. . . . We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. We are all meant to shine . . . We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It&#39;s not just in some of us; it&#39;s in everyone. . . . by Marianne Wiliamson

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

family of four we spend $100/wk on food and $25/wk on toiletries...tp, body wash, etc....that&#39;s about $500/mo....
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don&#39;t know if this will help you any because I am a semi-vegetarian and don&#39;t figure meat into my food budget (except fish and the occasional turkey), but we have Aldi&#39;s here in upstate NY and their fresh vegetables are good and very reasonably priced. I also buy bread and some canned goods there, such as the chili beans and diced tomatoes, so a quickie chili or pasta sauce is never very far away when I&#39;m in a hurry. :bolt:

Other than that, I&#39;m always looking for sales at my stores. For example I went into a local store that I buy my more exotic ingredients from (ex: coconut milk), and the 10 lb. bag of basmati rice that I usually pay $9.99 for was on sale for $6.99. I bought 2 bags. Twenty pounds of rice is an awful lot, but I know it&#39;ll get eaten eventually. It&#39;s not like it&#39;ll go bad, and hopefully by the time I&#39;ll need more, maybe it&#39;ll be on sale again. The same store had canned beans on sale for $0.39 each (normally $0.59-0.89 each), and my pantry is full to bustin&#39;. Now I can whip up some hummus or add some kidney beans to a salad anytime, for cheap! One other thing I do is pay attention to the unit price on the shelf tag, because sometimes you think you&#39;re getting a good deal, but if you look at how much that item would cost/pound, you realize it&#39;s not much of a deal after all.....

Do you have farmers&#39; markets in your area? This time of year is especially nice to take advantage of the better fruit & veggie prices that you&#39;ll find there. We have several, one downtown that&#39;s open Thursdays & Saturdays, and one in the parking lot of the shopping mall in my town on Saturdays. I like knowing that I&#39;m supporting local growers while saving a buck at the same time. I was disgusted to realize how much money I was spending on produce in the "nice" grocery stores before I got hip to the outdoor markets. :doh

HTH......
    DNA's double helix design - ingenious.
    A spring coil's power & momentum - amazing.
    The gift of nappy hair.....see a pattern emerging? :-)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another family of 4 here.

we spend between $300 to just under $400/month on groceries. $400+ during winter/holiday months when we typically stay indoors more and cook/munch more.

we consume a lot of fresh fruit and veggies, frozen veggies, fish, pork and chicken. because we have become anal about salt, refined sugar, and fat consumption, only about 10% of our food consumption comes from processed foods (canned tuna and salmon, organic mac&cheese, and nonbeef hotdogs). we pack our son&#39;s lunch every day, so a portion of our grocery bill is for him alone. about 60% of what we eat is organic and locally grown. that is where a lot of the cost comes from, but it&#39;s worth it to us.

we usually shop once a month, spending roughly $130. and each week, we do minor shopping for stuff that we run out of and that we don&#39;t have the space to store in bulk, spending roughly $50-70. we also shop at a market that can give us discounts on gasoline. i use my store discount card religiously.

I felt so bad, but so deliciously satisfied. --gigglezk

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you&#39;re a mile away and you have their shoes. -- unknown

I asked, "What is Kemi Oyl?" and she replied, "Kemi Oyl." Then I asked, "What is a Kemi?" She read the bottle, then said she didn&#39;t know. "Maybe a plant."
    --Drizzle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast