Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am new to the site, I have a 6 year old daughter whose hair is very challenging to manage. After extensive research on hair types, etc. it appears that her hair falls between the nappy/nappy. Her hair is passed shoulder lenghth when you extend it, however once you shampoo it, it shrinks close to her head. The crown of her head is much more manageable than the back and middle of her head. I have EVERY product imaginable to help with the combing out process, in which she cries hysterically! It is stressful to me as well, because I know in order to get it into 2 strand twist, ponytails,ect. it still needs to be combed from the roots to prevent it from being matted to the scalp. I will not lie to you all, I have thought about kiddie perms, but didn't have the heart to do it, in preserve her natural hair. But everytime I have to shampoo it and do it again, I get those thoughts of "what am I doing". She cries so bad, neighbors can hear! I even hold the hair close to the scalp, to prevent pulling, I never comb it dry, I use (currently) kids organics shea butter detangler. It hurts when you see others, passing judgement on parents who relax their children's hair, as being lazy, when in my situation the thought to do it is out of pure manageability, and less pain on my daughter. I have researched beyond researching, trying to find out what options I have, I hate the thought of putting any chemical in her hair, but to make the pain easier what can I do? On an average, to do her hair, is about 2 hours of pain for her. Again, the top of her head responds well to detanglers. But the middle and back, are so difficult to detangle. ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME! The school year is about to begin, and I must say, I thought about texturizers, or something just to loosen the curl, honestly, I do not like the perm straight look on little girls, seems a little grown for "my" daughter. HELP!!
    JEWWELL

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you sectioning her hair or doing it all together when you're washing and detangling?

If you're not already it might make the process easier if you do it in med/small sections.
    <div align="center">http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...3/heythere.jpg

You love me despite myself
    Sometimes I.. I fight myself
    I just can&#39;t believe that you.. would have anything to do
    With someone so insecure.. someone so immature
    Ohh you inspire me, to be the higher me
    You make my desire pure

Please don&#39;t be mad with me.. I have no identity
    All that I&#39;ve known is gone.. all I was building on...

</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am new to the site, I have a 6 year old daughter whose hair is very challenging to manage. After extensive research on hair types, etc. it appears that her hair falls between the nappy/nappy. Her hair is passed shoulder lenghth when you extend it, however once you shampoo it, it shrinks close to her head. The crown of her head is much more manageable than the back and middle of her head. I have EVERY product imaginable to help with the combing out process, in which she cries hysterically! It is stressful to me as well, because I know in order to get it into 2 strand twist, ponytails,ect. it still needs to be combed from the roots to prevent it from being matted to the scalp. I will not lie to you all, I have thought about kiddie perms, but didn&#39;t have the heart to do it, in preserve her natural hair. But everytime I have to shampoo it and do it again, I get those thoughts of "what am I doing". She cries so bad, neighbors can hear! I even hold the hair close to the scalp, to prevent pulling, I never comb it dry, I use (currently) kids organics shea butter detangler. It hurts when you see others, passing judgement on parents who relax their children&#39;s hair, as being lazy, when in my situation the thought to do it is out of pure manageability, and less pain on my daughter. I have researched beyond researching, trying to find out what options I have, I hate the thought of putting any chemical in her hair, but to make the pain easier what can I do? On an average, to do her hair, is about 2 hours of pain for her. Again, the top of her head responds well to detanglers. But the middle and back, are so difficult to detangle. ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME! The school year is about to begin, and I must say, I thought about texturizers, or something just to loosen the curl, honestly, I do not like the perm straight look on little girls, seems a little grown for "my" daughter. HELP!!
    JEWWELL
    [/b]
    Jewwell, you&#39;ve come to the right place...this site is FULL of valuable info that will help you...please, please, please don&#39;t put the fire cream or t.exturiser in your precious baby&#39;s hair. I can tell you don&#39;t want to, and hopefully after you&#39;ve been through the site you&#39;ll be much more confident about taking care of her hair.

The sentence that I bolded in your post was the first thing that jumped out at me. This is a major cause of the pain your daughter is experiencing as you attempt to comb/detangle. If you must comb, it is best to gently comb from the tips to the roots, not the other way around. If you comb her hair from the roots, all you are doing is ripping and tearing at the hair, pulling some strands out by the root as well.

Also, are you using a wide toothed comb? A comb with little teeth that are close together is not going to be a good idea. As well, do not comb the hair while it is dry. Make sure it is at least damp, and be sure to have a spray bottle with water (mixed in with some conditioner) close by when combing. You can spray the hair with this mixture as you go along. Or you could try combing her hair while it is soaking wet with conditioner in it.

You may also want to consider finger combing. I have the same texture that you described your baby&#39;s hair to be, and I detangle with my fingers only at this point.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do section off in sections, how about when shampooing, should I also wash a section at a time? I mean, it&#39;s to the point where I was thinking, maybe if I gave her a dose of tylenol for pain, it would help! She really cries. I am planning on doing her hair in the 2 strand twists for school, what is used at the base of the twist, I usually use the small black rubberbands. Also, what are twistouts?
    How wide should the teeth on the comb be? To wide won&#39;t get the kinks out. I too am glad I found this site!

Jewwell, you&#39;ve come to the right place...this site is FULL of valuable info that will help you...please, please, please don&#39;t put the fire cream or t.exturiser in your precious baby&#39;s hair. I can tell you don&#39;t want to, and hopefully after you&#39;ve been through the site you&#39;ll be much more confident about taking care of her hair.

The sentence that I bolded in your post was the first thing that jumped out at me. This is a major cause of the pain your daughter is experiencing as you attempt to comb/detangle. If you must comb, it is best to gently comb from the tips to the roots, not the other way around. If you comb her hair from the roots, all you are doing is ripping and tearing at the hair, pulling some strands out by the root as well.

Also, are you using a wide toothed comb? A comb with little teeth that are close together is not going to be a good idea. As well, do not comb the hair while it is dry. Make sure it is at least damp, and be sure to have a spray bottle with water (mixed in with some conditioner) close by when combing. You can spray the hair with this mixture as you go along. Or you could try combing her hair while it is soaking wet with conditioner in it.

You may also want to consider finger combing. I have the same texture that you described your baby&#39;s hair to be, and I detangle with my fingers only at this point.
    [/b]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jewell, It&#39;s rough having lil girls aint it?
    My daughter is extremely tenderheaded. Her hair is what some consider "good". It&#39;s is a slightly looser curl texture, but because of that, it tangles like all get out!
    What I do is I wash her hair while she&#39;s in the tub. I only use combs if I have to get a knot out. Other than that I use a good brush that has rounded balls at the tip. The bristles are different and won&#39;t pull out her hair. I section it off just like you do, and make sure I put a good amount of conditioner in it. If I use shampoo on her hair, it will be all dry and crispy, so I avoid it as much as possible. I also use a product called Just For Me Detangling Spray found in Walgreens. It&#39;s pretty good as detangling the hair, and she likes it cuz it smells good. The other thing I just started using, is I think Africa&#39;s Best Kids Organic Shea Butter Detangling Lotion. Let me tell you, it&#39;s da bomb! Her hair loosens up as soon as that stuff touches her hair! I was wary of using it at first because it&#39;s made by a company that makes perms, but that stuff made her hair like butter! It was so good, I tried it on my hair, and it worked wonders. IMO, it&#39;s not very moisturizing though. You will still need to add a little oil, preferably without petroleum/mineral oil in it. I recommend Organics Olive and Tea Tree Oil, a lil goes a long way. Put the oil on after you have conditioned and detangled the hair and it&#39;s a lil damp but has had time to dry some. The reason being that the detangler leaves your hair a lil white lookin until it&#39;s absorbed.
    One thing that&#39;s a life saver for me is once I style her hair, I leave it alone for about a week. Of course if it&#39;s lookin a lil fuzzy, I&#39;ll retwist it or rebraid it, but I don&#39;t take it all down until wash day. I think this has helped her hair to grow more than any product could. Constant combing and pulling hair that doesn&#39;t like to be combed causes shedding and breakage. Also, a good trim helps me keep knots in check every few months.

Hope that helps, and try to work with your daughter&#39;s hair not against it. A weak chemical fire cream is a perm too.

My fotki

"Come out of her, my people..that ye recieve not of her plagues" Revelation 18:4

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies. I believe that is the same detangler I am using now. It&#39;s kinda milky. But it does help, you can just imagine how many of those things I go through per month. I will hang in there!

Hi Jewell, It&#39;s rough having lil girls aint it?
    My daughter is extremely tenderheaded. Her hair is what some consider "good". It&#39;s is a slightly looser curl texture, but because of that, it tangles like all get out!
    What I do is I wash her hair while she&#39;s in the tub. I only use combs if I have to get a knot out. Other than that I use a good brush that has rounded balls at the tip. The bristles are different and won&#39;t pull out her hair. I section it off just like you do, and make sure I put a good amount of conditioner in it. If I use shampoo on her hair, it will be all dry and crispy, so I avoid it as much as possible. I also use a product called Just For Me Detangling Spray found in Walgreens. It&#39;s pretty good as detangling the hair, and she likes it cuz it smells good. The other thing I just started using, is I think Africa&#39;s Best Kids Organic Shea Butter Detangling Lotion. Let me tell you, it&#39;s da bomb! Her hair loosens up as soon as that stuff touches her hair! I was wary of using it at first because it&#39;s made by a company that makes perms, but that stuff made her hair like butter! It was so good, I tried it on my hair, and it worked wonders. IMO, it&#39;s not very moisturizing though. You will still need to add a little oil, preferably without petroleum/mineral oil in it. I recommend Organics Olive and Tea Tree Oil, a lil goes a long way. Put the oil on after you have conditioned and detangled the hair and it&#39;s a lil damp but has had time to dry some. The reason being that the detangler leaves your hair a lil white lookin until it&#39;s absorbed.
    One thing that&#39;s a life saver for me is once I style her hair, I leave it alone for about a week. Of course if it&#39;s lookin a lil fuzzy, I&#39;ll retwist it or rebraid it, but I don&#39;t take it all down until wash day. I think this has helped her hair to grow more than any product could. Constant combing and pulling hair that doesn&#39;t like to be combed causes shedding and breakage. Also, a good trim helps me keep knots in check every few months.

Hope that helps, and try to work with your daughter&#39;s hair not against it. A weak chemical fire cream is a perm too.
    [/b]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww dang, I guess I shoulda paid more attention! :lol:
    My fotki

"Come out of her, my people..that ye recieve not of her plagues" Revelation 18:4

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do section off in sections, how about when shampooing, should I also wash a section at a time? I mean, it&#39;s to the point where I was thinking, maybe if I gave her a dose of tylenol for pain, it would help! She really cries. I am planning on doing her hair in the 2 strand twists for school, what is used at the base of the twist, I usually use the small black rubberbands. Also, what are twistouts?
    How wide should the teeth on the comb be? To wide won&#39;t get the kinks out. I too am glad I found this site!
    [/b]
    You should definitely use a wide-toothed comb; you will be able to get the tangles out while causing less of the hair to be ripped out. This is the one I use; you can get it at Sally&#39;s:

I agree with what someone said about detangling from tips to the root. Grab a section of the hair, and then comb the bottom 1/4 of the section. Then comb the bottom 1/2 of the section. Then the bottom 3/4, and finally the whole section from root to tip. Make sure that all tangles are out in the 1/4 before moving on to the 1/2, and do the same on the 1/2 before moving on to the 3/4.

You mentioned detangling her hair when there&#39;s detangler on it - that&#39;s good. I&#39;d say you could even take it a step further by detangling when her hair is sopping wet (in the bathtub, to minimize messiness), with a good creamy/slippery conditioner slathered on it. After applying the conditioner, wait 1-2 minutes so that it has time to soften the hair.

Before detangling with the Shower comb above, I use a denman-knockoff brush that&#39;s made by Goody. That *really* gets the tangles out without hurting my scalp (I&#39;m tenderheaded as well).

So my detangling routine goes: 1. Douse hair with water 2. Apply conditioner 3. Wait 1-2 mns for it to soak in 4. Detangle with Goody brush (Here, I detangle just by brushing the hair downwards, against my scalp. I know I&#39;m done detangling when I can feel the plastic bristles of the brush on my scalp. I do the left side of my head, then the right, then the back). 5. Detangle with Jilbere shower comb above. That&#39;s it! It takes me less than 10 minutes and I have fairly long (9-13") hair with high shrinkage.

Good luck~
    *Formerly Bronze Brown*

Last relaxe.r: July 2000
    90% shrinkage (if I don&#39;t band, twist or braid)
    Toothpick-width coils, slightly larger coils and some frizzy, kinky waves
    Longest point in front: 2" past shoulder-length
    Longest point in back: 4" past shoulder-length

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    I feel your pain I have two little girls myself. The advice given so far is really good. I find it helpful, when washing my childrens&#39; hair to detangle their hair in 4-6 sections. I wet the whole head and slather it with conditioner. Once I finish a section I usually twist or briad it. That prevents it from becoming tangled once I&#39;ve finished the washing process. A wide tooth comb is your best friend. I find that if I put on a movie that my older daughter really likes, it makes the process a lot smoother for both of us. She tends to pay more attention to the movie than to me combing her hair. I prefer to comb my younger daughters hair while she is sleeping, she&#39;s only 2 so I don&#39;t know if that a an option for your 6 year old. HTH
    [url="http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/aivonfay/my_photos"]http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/aivonfay/my_photos[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with what someone said about detangling from tips to the root. Grab a section of the hair, and then comb the bottom 1/4 of the section. Then comb the bottom 1/2 of the section. Then the bottom 3/4, and finally the whole section from root to tip. Make sure that all tangles are out in the 1/4 before moving on to the 1/2, and do the same on the 1/2 before moving on to the 3/4.
    [/b]
    thats my advice. hold a section of hair firmly in one hand, then comb the bit that is sticking out with your other hand. This will take some of the pressure off your baby&#39;s scalp. Try it on your self, tug a section of your hair, then hold the section between two fingers and tug on the peice that coming out the top. Notice the difference? your hand acts as a buffer

side note: my mom use to comb my hair when I was sleeping :lol:

MissLys :wub:
    Member since 2006~!
    Watch me on youtube! Afrokinked :) http://www.youtube.com/user/Afrokinked?feature=mhum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast