User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    DC, the "real" chocolate city?...brooklyn bred b!
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sweet ep - haven't you heard cute quaint ethnic enclaves are the new chi chi :lol:

i'm definitely a transplant and damned proud of it! oh man i think i might actually qualify as a hipster. i wear designer jeans and ironic t-shirts and know who death cab for cutey and clap your hands say yeah are... i also live in park slope. but then again i might also be lesbian because i also hear park slope referred to "dyke slope" :lol: i just love how people try to tell me who am i based on where i live.

dollar vans are very plentiful at least i see them alot in bk around fort greene. they come in pretty handy. although i admit i had to get over for ohio girl fear of getting into an unmarked van in the middle night. i used to fell like i should come with my own trash bags and rubber gloves to make my murder, clean up and removal of my body even more convenient for my killers.
    [/b]

You are a hot ridiculous mess! :lol: @ your entire post. "Dyke Slope"?...that one is new to me! That's almost as "clever" as "SoBro" (for the South Bronx) or "East Williamsurg" (for people wanting to front because they actually live in Bushwick). Now, if you just get yourself one of those nifty transplant hipster mullets, you will have the whole package down to a t! Imagine how "fly" it'll look on nappy hair :lol: .

But on the real...dollar vans are what's hot in the streets (provided you don't get pulled over by the cops and the driver gets arrested because the jump-offs are illegal :lol: ). I mean, even late at night, I was never, ever, ever the only person in the van. Actually, they were quite poppin'. So yeah, I promise you won't die...but your trepidation is legitimate.

We had dollar vans when I lived in Queens also, that's where they originally started. Folks was even using their own cars. :lol: But even with them, it was still a hassle getting around.

Those quaint ethnic enclaves are what's changing the quickest. Astoria is a prime example. So is Williamsburg/Greenpoint, Bed-Stuy and Harlem. Even areas like Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst and the Rockaways are transitioning too.
    [/b]

Like I said, queens around JFK airport? Totally different land to me I tell ya... :lol:

All the areas you mentioned still have some immediate access to the subway. I'm talking about the areas that were/are tangibly subject to extreme white flight (Canarsie, Flatlands for instance). My prediction is that Mill Basin is next on that list as blacks and other immigrants are moving into areas like droves and "pushing" out the Irish/Italian/Jewish majority out to the Jersey suburbs and Long Island.

E.T.A. I don't know about the Rockaways, but I find that the transitions in the Bensonhurst/Bay Ridge area in particular is more so Asian/South Asian/Southeast Asian immigrants moving into the aformentioned neighborhoods than the "hipster/transplant" crowd. I don't know, I could be wrong though...*shrugs*

DC, the "real" chocolate city?...brooklyn bred b!
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But yeah, to not tread too far from the original thread, black folks just need to get in where they fit in when it comes to NYC real estate. I'm a large proponent of that. Even if we have to extend into areas that aren't conviniently (sp?) located, I still advocate setting up shop in these places. Because if we don't, "others" will....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm originally from NYC. I like the gentrification that has been going on for over 2 decades. I don't understand how people didn't see this coming. If you take the time to think about all those vacant lots and dilapidated buildings that was boarded up for all those years; it is because they've been bought. So anytime you come across a neighborhood that looks rough with a lot of boarded dilapidated buildings and gated vacant lots be prepared for a upscale community. I lived on 125th & 5th Avenue. My father still lives there. It is an old building that once was a hotel in the early 1900s or even earlier. They trying to get everyone out of the building so they can fix it and raise the rent. I had a friend come with me to East New York about 15 years ago (she lived in a mix community in canarsie). When she came near sutter, livonia, New lots, Alabama, and Williams street she was like oh my god! it is rough here. So bad and so sad. All these vacants lots. It is so many of them. "Why don't they do something with it". I told her they did they bought all these lots that is why they are gated. They will build something here but I don't know what. Damn I was right. 10 years later that whole area is filling up with new houses. Not condos, not apartment buildings, not brownstones but affordable houses. Blacks shouldn't complain because they had more than enough time to get themselves together and invest in their community and they chose not to. Black people been living in those communities for decades and didn't do anything with it- with the exception of the ambitious. I lived in bedford stuyvesant and it is getting better and better. I can remember in 1994/1995 they fixed McDonough Avenue right near the J train around the corner from Halsey between Saratoga & Thomas Boyland. I mean they renovated these buildings and they are spacious and beautiful. Laundry in building; security with intercom; large trash cans; parquet floors; everything was so nice. The opposite street they decided to make those into condos. It was so strange because they moved in a lot of low income people and the majority was on welfare with children in those buildings and within two years the buildings and block look like a war zone. I can't believe they destroyed that building. Even though they tried to be fair and keep low income, welfare, and middle class in the same community not to mention the same block they still destroyed it. The people that was making a good income left the building. People can't say that they are not being fair because they are. Many of the projects now are becoming condos. They already working on red hook; sethlow projects, and many others. A friend of my friend was offered to buy her apartment in the projects [redhook] now she is considering it because they are cleaning up the area and more investment is coming. It is sad that black people don't know their potentials. I don't find anything wrong with gentrification. I rather see this than predominately poor black communities. I left New York. I don't have no desires to live there. All my family is still there though. I plan to buy a house in Burkina Faso, Senegal, Niger, or Ghana when I save enough money. I have my sight on Africa. I hope all works out for me in the future.
    [/b]
    True, a lot of folks didn't and still don't have their stuff together, but also keep in mind back in the 70s & 80s when there was all this white flight and blocks & blocks of burned out abandoned buildings that most banks redlined those neighborhoods where they refused to grant mortages if you bought a home there. Even if you could afford to buy a burnt out brownstone shell, you were on your own as far as financing the cost of renovations for example. And forget trying to get home insurance. A lot of folks didn't have the kind of money required so they found it more economically feasible to leave.

It's not a coincidence that a lot of these banks in the 'hood now just recently opened branches over the past several years. Now they want to take advantage of the financing opportunities with all the new construction.
    I just want you to recognize me in the temple, you can't hurt me I found peace within myself--Michael Jackson (RIP)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Gentrification Of Harlem

I've been re-exploring the culture threads from 10 years ago, and I think this one is relevant if we're going to talk about property ownership. My mother has been pushing me to buy a home for a couple of years because she used to work in real estate in NYC, and knows the market well enough to know when to buy.
    I'd be interested in hearing about any cohesive efforts to buy property, whether in NY or other states.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Gentrification Of Harlem

It's interesting that so many people see gentrification as being a positive change. I live in a loft building my husband purchased for a song back in the day. I moved to Clinton Hill in Brooklyn because it was peaceful, calm and affordable. During the 25+ years I have lived here, the neighborhood has changed. Certainly, there are more services available now. The new ethnic groups who have moved in are very unfriendly and have a manifest-destiny attitude. It's clear that they don't like living around any Blacks. I can count the home-owning Blacks who are left in the neighborhood. A lot of mom & pop businesses that I patronized for years have closed due to rising commercial rents. Many of my former neighbors are on the verge of homelessness, since landlords can command higher rents.

Even whites are being forced out - moving to formerly Black areas in Queens. I can't wait to move out of here. This is not the neighborhood I moved into when I got married. It's overcrowded, parking is scarce and my new neighbors are snooty. The two things holding me back from leaving are the fact that I want my daughter to finish HS first and my spouse is too stubborn to move just yet.
    Last edited by straightnochaser; 02-28-2017 at 05:29 PM.
    la vida es un carnaval.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234