Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a look at this article about the gentrification of Harlem. What do you think of it?

BBC article on the gentrification of Harlem

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there a few topics in this forum and the other life topics forum that touch on this.

the nyc rental market is tight. middle class and upper middle people are starting to consider neighborhoods they were too afraid of because of the melanin content but economics made them reconsider.

before i moved to nyc i went apartment hunting and the first place i went to was a old style building in hamilton heights/washington heights border. the majority of the tenants were older tenants who'd probably been their since the 60's. it was clear that the landlord was trying to force them out. the apartment i looked at was 950 for a 2-BR which is a steal in nyc! i didnt take it because he got ambushed in the foyer by all these tenants who were complining to him about their stuff not being fixed. i seriously stopped writing on the application and said "never mind" :lol:

i've heard several people on the subways complain about the gentification (aka starbuckization) of harlem and other hoods in brooklyn. but i want to ask, why didnt black folks get the idea of investing in the areas they live in en masse? there are all kinds of programs in nyc that will help you with down payments and mortgages even if you have bad credit you just have to save.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting artcle. The phenomena of gentrification is not unique to New York. It's happening all over the US - Chicago, Atlanta, Washington/Baltimore. Now middle and upper middle class blacks & whites are coming in renovating and bringing business to areas where taxi's once refused to go pick up or drop off during the dark hours. My husband and I bought property in a gentrified area of Atlanta about 7 years ago. Whatching this area and others metamorphasize has been amazing. It's great in that suddenly the police presence in the area are doing more than just passing through, and shops who would have never considered offering this neighborhood and its residents their business are now clammoring to get in, but it's bad because it pushes property taxes through the roof. This adversely affects elderly and other low income property owners who have lived in these areas for generations.

One other thing to ad on the plus side of things is that a saavy investment in real estate in these areas before prices get too crazy can yield a lot of $$$$. One of my friends took a chance and purchased a home a few years back in a questionable neighborhood she saw getting ready to make some serious changes. The prices were still really low (about $65,000 for a two bedroom/1bath). Three years later, she sold it for over $250.000! Yes, you could say she was really, really happy about it.
    "All of the children of Adam make mistakes, and the best of them are those who repent." - Muhammad (salalahu alaihi wa salam)
    [color=#CC33CC]Build Your Own Freelance Writing Career[/color] [url="http://avid-writer.blogspot.com"]The Avid Writer[/url]
    [url="http://www.avidwritercommunications.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/twitter.pdf"]FREE Tutorial[/url] for Businesses New to the World of Twitter

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently moved from NY because of the housing market being so rediculous. I should have done my homework though. I moved to Maryland (was born here and spent my childhood here) thinking that it would be a world of a difference. Boy was I wrong! When I saw what was done to DC I was like "where is this place?" I don't even recognize it anymore. I actually decided to stay farther north in the Baltimore area because I just can't afford to live around DC! The rents are actually about as high as NY, and so are the prices for homes. My heart sank when I went looking at houses and saw "newly built homes starting from the low $600's." I was like "What???? That's supposed to be a good thing? Low 600s?"

But you're right, Black people should have jumped in on the real estate craze of the mid to late 90s and turned some of the cheap rough 'hoods into decent desirable areas to live.
    Bigger is better (of course I'm talking about hair!)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i live up here and if you hav ethe money i say get in where you fit in these nigg.a up here just sit around and complain all day. so you might as well get what they dont want.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one of my brothers bought a brownstone in fort greene brooklyn about 15 yrs ago. he paid almost nothing for it. it sits directly across the street from fort greene park. over the years, we have sat on his stoop and watched the area change. at first, it was rough but gradually the area was "gentrified" and all of the surrounding buildings are fixed up. there are little cafes on the corner, flea markets in the park, brownstone tour buses. it is amazing what "they" will do when they want an area back. my brothers little investment has blossomed and is worth "quite" a lot.

if you can get into harlem, don't sleep on it.
    7 year locs, relaxing and enjoying life

album pw: gummy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wanna buy a brownstone in fort greene

i love the neighborhood. i do a bit of coveting via the internet and check real estate sites. 2 BR are like 500K and up. By the time I can afford them i'm sure they'll be at least twice that

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well you can't get in too harlem now for next to nothing even the un done building are runn you 900, 000 i read in the time today about a woman who got here brownstone 6 year ago for under 250 000 and now it worth more that 1 mil read the nytimes real estate page today

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well you can't get in too harlem now for next to nothing even the un done building are runn you 900, 000 i read in the time today about a woman who got here brownstone 6 year ago for under 250 000 and now it worth more that 1 mil read the nytimes real estate page today
    [/b]
    i saw some building on 145th that was a burned out shell was going for $1 mill.... a burned out shell!!!!

i guess the thing to do would be try to get some kind of city assistance because you'd still have to get an architect and start from scratch... crazy.

bed stuy will be next area i hear. wonder how much the marcy is going to go for :lol:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

damn, I live in nyc and I see the changes everyday. My bf and I was talking about getting a brownstone after we get married, but the prices are crazy. His parents purchased a brownstone in Harlem about 10 years ago and fixed it up from scratch through the years. They could easily get a 8oo grand for it now. By the way tey live in the 120's in manhattan.
    I joined in 2004. I had my 4th BC (and final one ) on Oct. 24, 2011. My hair is 4a-z. I work with my hair, not against it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast