Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Hey fellow nappsters,

I was in the car today listening to my XM Radio - they are doing a history of pop music - so you know I have been glued to it. Today, they were playing songs from 1991, and 'Blowing Kisses In the Wind" was on. Sheesh, now 'Vibeology' just started playing! Anyway, I remember back from like 1989-1993 Paula Abdul was the junk. I knew she couldn't sing, even back then, but her songs were so catchy, so emotional, just what a teenage girl like me needed at the time. I remember her first album sold a huge amount - I wouldn't be suprised if it went platinum more than once.

Plus, she was Arsenio's/Emilio's girl, she could dance, she was a Laker Girl, she had the fly clothes and hair, and she was friends with Janet. What could be cooler than that???

So I was thinking to myself, how come Paula was such a huge star back then even though it was obvious her singing was less than stellar? I am sure everybody had ears like me and could hear she couldn't sing. But I wonder, was it her producers, publicists, record company, flashy videos - I mean what? And how come she isn't still a big star? Is it because she got older and the industry praises pop stars that are fresh and young? Did she fail to 'mature' into her music? Did folks get tired of her whiny voice?

I am a fan of American Idol, but I would be p!ssed if she tried to tell me how to sing. Anybody have thoughts? I'd love to hear them...
    God Bless!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think people liked Paula for the same reasons they like singers like Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson. They are not the best vocalists but they're beats and lyrics are catchy and yeah they get behind good producers. I think Paula Abdul also came at a time when there weren't really that many female pop stars doing the singing and dancing thing besides Janet & Madonna, so she tapped into that market at a really good time. I used to love Paula abdul as well 'cold hearted snake' was my song..lol..But I was a kid then so quality of music wasn't really that important to me. I also think she had a differnt look about her which made her interesting and appealing. People weren't quite sure what her ethnicity was and I think the public was a bit fascinated by that side of her.

I don't really think Paula ever really had staying power in the industry. She was a great dancer but in terms of vocals and singing ability it just wasn't happening. She started to just become cheesy. Janet and Madonna were more versatile and were able to set trends and I don't think Paula was able to do that so she just faded out. I know she also suffered from severe joint and muscle problems from all the years of dancing she did and I think that set her back as well.

You're right though. She really isn't the best person to be judging AI contestants vocal talent. Simon is always making fun of her singing ability though and her old albums which I think is funny.

I can't believe I wrote such an in depth analysis of Paula Abdul. Can you tell i'm bored at work?..haha

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea why Paula Abdul was ever famous. LOL. I'm just a few years younger than she is and I couldn't stand her voice although I do think she's a good dancer.

It would be a good topic for a dissertation though, why some people become famous while others don't.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe I wrote such an in depth analysis of Paula Abdul. Can you tell i'm bored at work?..haha
    [/b]
    That makes two of us. I guess because it's slow at work I had enough time to actually ponder this subject!
    God Bless!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO the only reason Paula Abdul became famous, was because she had an affair with Jackie Jackson, did the choreography for "Torture" video and then did choreography for lil' sis Janet's videos when she was about to blow up. After that girly got some exposure and that was it.

She was tearing it up in the 80's though.
    ======================================
    Originally joined Nappturality in 2002; rejoined April 29, 2006

[b]"Black coffee, the African queen
    Part of the Afro-American dream
    Enough respect, I'm diggin' intelect
    Appreciate the fact that you never miss a step
    The backbone of the black bone here's to ya
    As long as I'm around believe me none could ever do ya
    You warm, considerate, and far from a softie
    And that's why I love ya, you're my black coffee"[/b]