Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I posed this question before, still can&#39;t make up my mind..... :lol: I&#39;ll have my Associates next month....thank you JESUS! Didn&#39;t think I would make it wif my old self but God was good and helped me make it through! So..... I start my core courses to complete my Bachelor&#39;s in the Spring...initally wanted to major in finance and minor in accounting..now I&#39;m thinking I should major in accounting and minor in finance?? I&#39;m leaning towards federal accounting for a future career goal, but it&#39;s been hard to place me on a client engagement because I don&#39;t have my degree (and I&#39;m not a CPA either) <_< so my boss uses me for internal budgeting/financial analysis and such on the corporate side. Through that my Excel skills have flourished and I&#39;ve recently been dabbling in Access too.

So all Accountants what drew you to the profession? Are you a CPA, MBA or both? Are you in the private or public sectors? What do you like most about your job, what do you like least?

Looks like the field is in demand based on new regulatory requirements, SOX, etc....I&#39;ve even thought about audit, heck that&#39;s the bulk of my job anyway...making sure folk don&#39;t cause further scrutiny into our finances...do it right the FIRST time or not at all!
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey! I have my MBA and taking more classes in order to be able to sit for the CPA exam. I&#39;m an auditor for a gov&#39;t entity (not federal ). I really like the auditing work and discovering things about how businesses work. I love the gov&#39;t hours too . I could use more pay, but it&#39;s worth it just to work 9-5. I want to get my CPA so if I want to go private or hang out my shingle, I can be flexible enough to do that. But, the CPA is not worth much working here; it&#39;s really based on seniority (although it&#39;s supposed to be "competitive").

For my Management undergrad and my MBA, I actually split my concentration between Accounting and Finance (21 hours accounting and 18 hours finance, grad and undergrad). I wish I would&#39;ve taken at least 24 hours accounting, though, because that stopped me from getting my federal job <_< and now I have a million more classes to take for my CPA.

Someone used to tell me that even if you lean towards finance, you can do still do accounting, but I found that not to be true for my career goals...Accounting jobs want accounting classes and my 6 finance classes mean practically nothing.

I wrote all that to say, I think it would be better for you to major in accounting and minor in finance, unless you can get at least 24 semester hours (or quarter equivalent) of accounting with a minor. Also, if you are thinking about getting your CPA, check out your state requirements because you might have to take tax classes or business law classes along with your core classes. You&#39;ll also need an additional 30 hours above your bachelor&#39;s to sit.

Sorry for the long post. HTH.

Sue.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, this is PERFECT! I hate when folk say "I hate my job" or "I love my job" and leave it at that.. :P ...I&#39;m like tell me MORE! You gave me a lot to think about which is excellent.

But, the CPA is not worth much working here; it&#39;s really based on seniority (although it&#39;s supposed to be "competitive"). [/b]
    It&#39;s like I can&#39;t look at an accounting or finance job w/o the CPA being required, or atleast desired. Most of our clients prefer it too. I work for a consulting firm and in the long run the CPA pays off but it really just depends on what you come in at.....some people low ball themselves. I think the company is trying to move towards more "balanced" salaries at each level but yeah right! It&#39;s who you know really....
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

China is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don&#39;t have anything to add, because I&#39;m in the same boat. Finance major, but sitting on the fence about whether I should have gone for accounting instead.
    http://public.fotki.com/ChinafromNP/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*bump* :unsure:
    [color=#CC0000]_,-*-,_,-*-,_,-*-,_,-*-,_,-*-,_,-*-,_,-*-,_,-*-,_,-*-,_,-*|[/color]
    [color=#990000][b]In Hair & Health Spring-Summer Challenge:[/b]
    Hair:
    - Wild & Out[/color]
    [color=#666600]
    Health:
    - working out 3-4 times a wk
    - H2O myself
    - keeping the stress down[/color]
    [color=#333300] _,-*-,_,-*-,_,-*-,_,-*-,_,-*-,_,-*-,_,-*-,_,-*-,_,-*-,_,-*|[/color]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sugest you lean more to the accounting degree and minor in finance. You can do more with the accounting degree. I am a CPA working in Public accounting as an auditor. I can&#39;t say that I love my job but it is interesting and challenging. There is also travel involved. which can be a plus. As an auditor you get to meet different clients and learn different industries. There is alot of possiblity and it is the best foundation for an accounting career.
    [SIZE=2]<span style="font-family:Arial">[b]Although it feels like a roller coaster now, life will calm down.... Fortune Cookie[/b]</span>[/SIZE]

Last Chemical Fire: July 2005
    BC: September 10, 2005

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks Rese, I did decide to go with Accounting as my major! I&#39;m already shaking in my boots about the CPA exam and the GMAT.... :unsure: but I&#39;ll cross that bridge when I get to it, right now I&#39;m focusing on starting my core accounting courses in the Spring, I&#39;m excited!

Any staff accountants here? It&#39;s been hard for me to find an accounting/finance position that will let me keep my salary so I&#39;m biding my time in my admin position until the right fit comes along.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Accounting Or Finance?

BUMP! Saw it at the bottom of my screen.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Accounting Or Finance?

wow, can't believe I started this thread 9 years ago, just as long as it's taken to complete my undergrad degree, whew!