Thread: My Hair Is Hard

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need some help! I did the B/C a month ago ever since my hair feels very hard. I tried everything that I could think of. I used hot oil treatments, deep conditioners, olive and coconut oils, shea butter, and I co-wash. I know I have course, thick hair, but this is ridiculous. Am I missing something?
    Fotki.com/Snkofa2
    Natural since: September 2006
    Entered loc'dom: November 2007
    Peace and Blessings!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are u currently using? Can u give a breakdown of what u do daily or weekly?
    LAST evil chemical fire cream: March 17, 2006
    BC: NOVEMBER 19,2006
    Started Locs: June 28, 2008
    Cut off Locs: March 14, 2009
    http://b1.lilypie.com/73u9m4/.png
    http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4...giecomp.th.jpg

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you cut all the perm out of your hair? If so, you may be experiencing scab hair. It takes up to a year for scab hair to stop growing, I'd suggest regular trims if this is the case. You may want to use the search function here to read up more about it.
    God Bless!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was experiencing the same problem. It seemed like all the products everyone was raving about on this site just did not work for me.....continue with the hot oil treatments and the deep conditioners. What finally worked for me was Fruit of the Earth 100% aloe vera gel and glycerin mixed together. You can get those products anywhere and they are inexpensive. I think I spent $10 for both. the good things is that if you buy products from Rite Aid and they don't work for you, you can always get your money back.
    [SIZE=2]How can I control my life when I can&#39;t control my hair?</span>[/SIZE]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put conditioner (Pantene&#39;s Conditioner for Women of Color, Natural & Relaxed Hair) in my hair and let sit while I shower, then rinse. While my hair is still wet, I spritz my hair with a mixture of shea butter, olive oil, and water. After my hair is saturated, I pick it out and let it air dry. [I dare not do that while it&#39;s dry. Tried it once, my head was sore for a few hours.] Before bed, I cover my head with a satin bonnet.
    I use Queen Helene&#39;s Cholesterol to give my hair a deep conditioning treatment and let sit for at least an hour every weekend.

Don&#39;t get me wrong, I am not going to run back to the hell cream. I just want to know if this is natural and what to expect.

Hey LilShortRib-

I started off by cutting my chemical fire cream off; the big chop. I did not want to transition. I couldn&#39;t bare watching my hair go through that. I go to the barbershop to get a trim every two weeks. Right now I&#39;m rocking a TWA.

A year is a long time to achieve softness. Is there a temporary fix?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are co-washing your hair, you might have some build-up of product, oils, etc., in your hair and on your scalp that might be causing the "hardness" you feel in your hair. You might want to start using a clarifying shampoo, perhaps once or twice a month to remove any dirt and oils from your hair. Neutrogena has a good clarifying shampoo that&#39;s moderately priced. There&#39;s also a shampoo called "Free and Clear" that you can get at any drug store that&#39;s also excellent.

I hope that helps!
    [b][color=#990000]Last CFC - May 5, 2006
    Big Chop - November 4, 2006[/color][/b]

[b][i]Worry is the darkroom where negatives are developed![/i][/b]

britni is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was dealing with the "hardness" problem before I did my final bc this morning. I just started using Soft Sheen Carson&#39;s Optimum Oil Therapy Dry Hair Healer and it seems to be working for me. It&#39;s light and will not leave your hair greasy or weighed down. Also, have you tried water by itself? I use a spritz bottle throughout the day for a lil pick-me-up and it works well for me. Good luck! HTH.
    happily nappy since 10/12/2006; BC#2 06/19/2008
    I SUPPORT BARACK
    South Carolina! Let&#39;s meetup!
    Let&#39;s Talk About Writing...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am really particualr abt anything i put in my hair now. I have noticed that if i put anything in my hair that has more than one of the following prefixes- OL, ATE,IUM, or TYL- then my hair will end up really dry. i truly swear by products that are made from 90% natural ingredients. I love AVED Sap Moss shampoo- i tried Herbal essence hello hydration and my hair felt like a brillo pad. Sap Moss and Blended Beauty Soy shampoo make my hair so soft.

[url="http://public.fotki.com/bluesaki/"]http://public.fotki.com/bluesaki/[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey LilShortRib-

I started off by cutting my chemical fire cream off; the big chop. I did not want to transition. I couldn&#39;t bare watching my hair go through that. I go to the barbershop to get a trim every two weeks. Right now I&#39;m rocking a TWA.

A year is a long time to achieve softness. Is there a temporary fix?
    [/b]
    I think you are on the right track. Most of the products that are best for my hair (shea butter, olive oil) are all-natural. I also LOVE Sap Moss conditioner as well. All I can think of is maybe you are washing your hair too much, and if Herbal Essence made your hair feel funky that&#39;s good to stop using it. I can&#39;t think of a temporary fix other than what you are doing. Did you try doing a search on scab hair? You may want to do a search on hard hair as well...
    God Bless!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are on the right track. Most of the products that are best for my hair (shea butter, olive oil) are all-natural. I also LOVE Sap Moss conditioner as well. All I can think of is maybe you are washing your hair too much, and if Herbal Essence made your hair feel funky that&#39;s good to stop using it. I can&#39;t think of a temporary fix other than what you are doing. Did you try doing a search on scab hair? You may want to do a search on hard hair as well...
    [/b]
    My hair was in such bad shape before I did the B/C, that it wouldn&#39;t surprise me if I have scab hair. I also believe that I was washing my hair too much. I decided to just spritz the shea butter and olive oil mixture in my hair on a daily basis just so I can get the pick through it, then apply a moisturizer. What do you think?
    Fotki.com/Snkofa2
    Natural since: September 2006
    Entered loc'dom: November 2007
    Peace and Blessings!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast