Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been totally natural for a year and a half, but I am still a newbie. For example, I know that braids, twists, and etc. are protective styles but when do we start wearing them. It is getting chilly down here in Georgia, so does that mean that I need to go ahead and do the protective styles. And on to the next topic, as far as twists, I have a disaster on my hands. I am a senior in high school and my mother wants me to be responsible for doing my own hair so I can take care of myself in college. I understand that because my sister (who just went off to college this year) is totally lost in doing her hair(permie). Anyway I have done twists in my hair and am still practicing braiding. The problem with my twists is that my parting sucks for one. Then there is no way that I can twists the back first so I always start with the front. This leads to disaster. Halfway I switch to the back and the twists end up going every direction. The front goes out towards the front and looks like a bang. Then the back goes everywhere. The problem with the back is that I start twisting towards the side and up when I get to the back. This is because I have short arms and have to twists upwards. This leaves the twists going up and to the sides. My twisting styles only lasts two days at the most, and two is pushing it. My twisting routine goes like this. I wash and maybe condition my hair. Then I let my hair dry out alittle. I make sure to comb through it to make sure it isn't too tangled. I start twisting with Jamican Mango and Lime locking gel. I never know if I am suppose to slather alot on the part of hair or just put a little on the ends? Moving on this should be the last thing. As far as braiding my hair at night. What exactly does that entail? I mean many people say that they put this and that in their hair and braid it every night. I know that as my hair gets longer then it is best that I tie it up. My hair is 8-10 inches at the moment and still growing. The most I do to my hair as far as products is wash and condition it with Suave Humectant Shampoo and Conditioner ( a name I picked up from this site). Lately my hair has been dry and I think that it needs more products. I don't know what else to really use and am afraid to try something that might mess up my hair. I really do need help with products (hopefully yall can name some that are cheap (HINT: WAL MART)) As far as braiding at night is concerned, the couple of times I tried it with plaits, my head was hurting in the morning. I think that this was because I plaited too tight. Please just help me with steps. I want my hair to remain healthy and I don't think I am doing things right.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa...Nappyme rolls up her sleeves...

Protective styling
    I wear my hair in protective styling for two main reasons. First, it's just tooo dang convenient to be able to roll out of bed in the morning and NOT have to factor hair into my "get ready" time. Second, it promotes length retention. And, on top of all that, I'm pretty good at doing flat twists/twist hair styling, and I really like my hair that way.

Now this summer, I experimented a little more out styles, puffs mainly. They were cute but wrecked havoc on my ends. Didn't like that. So last month I put my hair back into protective custody. It will probably remain that way throughout the winter. I'm in Nebraska, and it gets really cold here. I want a hat on my head and when it gets really cold, I'm likely to wear a hat, a hood and a scarf; so a puff or any other out style wouldn't stand a chance.

So what should you do? That is entirely up to you. Is it convenience you're after. Are you trying to retain more length. Is your hair drier when it's out than when it's in? Do you just like protective styles? There's no hard and fast rule, just do what's best for you.

Doing twists
    Here's what works for me. I start in the back. Using the long end or a rattail comb, then I part my hair from ear-to-ear across the bottom. Pull the rest of the hair up and out of my way with a band. To make sure the part is fairly straight I try to make sure the section of hair is about the same thickness on both sides of my head. That way you know you haven't parted your hair diagonally across the back. Run your finger through the part to make sure you don't have stray hairs in it. If you do, use the rattail to clean up the part. When you're happy with your horizontal part, then start parting vertically to work on your individual twists.

If you're able, make the twists right at the nape of your neck flat twists...you'll get a better lay that way.

When you're finished with that row, start the next row up. Stagger the parting so that you get a brick laying pattern. That way each row of twists will lay between the twists in the bottom row. Continue working your way up. When I get to the sides I start closest to my ears and work my way to the top. If you want a part in the front, make that part and work up towards it.

My part in on the left in this pic. As you can see my hair is fairly thick. I don't worry about perfectly straight parts...no one can see them anyway.

Making twists last
    I've not mastered that. I'm lucky if mine last three days. At which point, I start touching my hair up in sections. Flat twists in my current style (see avatar) seem to be lasting about a week or more before I have to retouch. Not sure why cause they never lasted that long before. How long your's last depends on your tolerance for fuzz. I draw the line when my hair starts looking like a shaggy carpet that's been walked on. Also, you have to consider tangles. If I let mine go to long, my hair starts to loc up. So if my two-strand twists start to fuzz it probably should be retwisted.

Tying your hair up at night
    If you're wearing it loose like in a puff, all you have to do is put it in some big fat twists at night, slap a scarf on it (silk or satin) and go nite-nite. Doesn't have to be complicated. I use my fingers to detangle and pull apart. You can also use a wide tooth comb to help detangle. Use your instinct. Just be gentle. If your hair is feeling a little dry...sure, go ahead and use a little of your favorite product.

Dryness...more product
    I wouldn't say you need MORE product you just need the RIGHT product. For nappies (and anyone else I'd imagine, less in more. Without knowing your hair type, I hesitate to recommend products. By looking at my pic, does it look more like mine? Click here for a description of my hair. If we have similiar characteristics then what I use may work for you as well. I use glycerine/water based products. Any of the following work for me

*Carefree Curl
    *Wave Nuveau
    *Proline Comb Thru Lite Moisturizer
    *Soft and Beautiful Moisturizer (ok...this one has mineral oil but its just a little bit so it didn't seem to hurt my hair)
    *Pink's Gel N moisturizer.

Shampoo/Conditioner
    If you're not using heavy products, just make sure your shampoo doesn't contain any sulfates, which are strong cleansing agents that can make nappy hair even drier. There are lots on the market, I use JASON or Aubrey brands. Now these might be a little pricey for you. Ha! Walmart that's right. Not sure...just check the labels.

Also, if you have hair similiar to mine...stay away from grease and mineral oil-based products...they will only compound your dryness issues.

Alrighty then, I THINK I touched on all your concerns. Hope this helps and maybe some other folks will drop into this thread and help you out as well. If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me.

Good Luck!
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

practice practice.

i wear a shrunken fro 90% of the time and color but have no problems with breakages, so my hair doesnt need to be protected all that much.

to make your twists lay right. you have a few options

1- use bobby pins to help them lay down the way you want. can be done on dry hair. but

2- wet the twists and shake. this will help them lay the way your hair would naturally fall.
    3- wet AND conmbine with bobby pins. letthe hair dry with the pins in and take them out when dry.
    4. at night use a scarf and the pins if you're like me

i do #3 when I want to change btween side parts or middle parts.

parting:

there's no need to part. i only part in the middle front of my hair. everythin else is grab and twist.

products i use:
    after a conditioner wash i use a mix of oyin whipped pudding and care free curl gold. twisting helps seal in moisture. i'm doing something now where i re twist weekly and leave it alone in the meantime. just because i'm beaing lazy and want to see what will happen if i dont do daily no poos. after the intial product, every day i'll spritz with water/conditioner/jojoba oil mix, and put a little whipped pudding on the ends

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nappyme pretty much said everything I would said. She certainly knows her stuff (and that doggie is cute!!)!

I will add that Suave shampoos (not the conditioners, though) definitely have sulfates in them, which is probably contributing to your dryness. Aubrey, Jason's, and Avalon Organics are great shampoos to use. Humectant products, however, cause my hair to shrink up. I am not sure if that is what it does for your hair, but if there is shrinkage, that could be causing the weirdness of the twists. My twists lay well and I never (though I may start in order to do some other styles) part my hair because I am just too lazy. However, I do make sure that my hair is stretched somewhat in order to get better looking twists. When I do twists when my hair is in the shruken state, they too look very strange.

As far as product goes...I agree with Nappyme; the right products are essential. I stick with shea butter, mango butter, and coconut oil as my hair seems to like products that don't have too many additions to them. You'll have to experiment a bit but the results will be worthwhile!
    "To whom much is given much is required."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nappymehappyme pretty much covered everything :P

yrj4ever is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah NappymeHappyme pretty much covered all the bases. I'll just add a little to where I have the most knowledge.

How I do my twists is like this - I start at the back, with my hair in either 1,2,3,4 ponytails, watever I feel like, and however my hair dried. Then I pretty much just grab and go. I guess I've gotten the hang of feeling for similar amounts of hair. I really could care less about parts cuz my hair is thick and about 10 inches long....they're gonna be completely invisible in about 3 days! You might wanna worry about the parts in the front, or around the perimeter if you wear your twists up in a bun or something. Other than that just grab and go! When you're twisting, make sure you're twisting w/ your hands in the same direction - for instance, when you're in the front, make your hands twist down, and when you're in the back, have your hands go the same way. Don't grab and twist upward, because the twist will definitely go the way you twist it. Your arms might be short but make sure you're turning your head as far as you can. And you can try to pin them down, but if you twisted them up, most likely they're gonna look a little funkier than the ones you twisted down. If you like Jamaican Mango & Lime, I'd personally recommend the locking creme wax versus the gel. I think it's easier to keep a hold on your hair with this rather than with the gel because of it's consistency.....it can get kinda slippery.

I only braid my hair at night when I'm wearing it out (a puff generally) Depending on how much time I'll have in the morning, I'll do maybe two - four big plaits or twists just so it won't be a tangled matted mess. Or you can do cornrows, flat twists, all depends on what style you're wearing and what you'll feel like removing in the morning.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am new to this site but not to being nappy. I can definitely help you out on the dryness. There are many different opinions about how to handle hair problems on this site. The best thing for you to do is look around, ask questions and experiment. This advice is seen over and over again on threads. It is all about what works for you. Try it out it may work.

Deep Conditioning. This is an absolute must. Do this on a regular basis and you will figure out what regular is for your hair as you see it's response. There is also a deep conditioning challenge thread. You can learn a lot about different methods for deep conditioning.

Glycerin. I don't know your hair type but one thing I have seen across the board is a wide spread use of glycerin. It is used in sprays and added to shampoo/conditioners. It seems like a miracle product if you are lacking moisture. Of course, products do not work for everyone, so I would suggest a little research, considering your hair type, and try a sample. This product is fairly cheap and could be purchased in a health food store and possibly walmart.

Coconut Oil and other natural oils- There are some women who absolutely do not use oils in their hair and then others do. Oils may not work for you either but you never know until you try. Coconut oil is really popular. I have never heard so many people rave about one type of oil. It is added to products also. It is really cheap and should be found in walmart. If you like you could add it to some of your normal conditioners to make it a deep conditioner. That will keep you from buying $25 deep conditioner.

Aloe Vera Gel- If you twist with products maybe you could consider using this instead of regular gel. It is known to be a wonderful skin moisturizer and it does the same for your hair.

Mineral Oil--Avoid this at all costs. Since price is a major concern. You must be ware of hair products that contain, mineral oil and petroleum of any sort. These things will coat your hair and keep it from absorbing moisture. Be sure to read the labels of anything you find in walmart or anywhere else. Also there is a list of commercial products that have been deemed safe. They also have warnings about bad products. Click on forums and you should see them if you scroll down.

Clarifying- This is very important. If your hair has any build up from product it will get dry. It is the same concept as the mineral oil. Therefore you should be sure to clarify from time to time. With Apple Cider Vinegar rinses or clarifying conditioner (be careful to choose one that will not strip you down).

Dried out ends will not help either- Get a trim as needed,so you will not mistake ragedy ends for dry hair.

I have nappy type hair. I guess. I have got a curly nape. A somewhat kinky crown and a wavy center. But over all no very tightly coiled curls anywhere on my head. My hair rarely gets dry but when it does I am sure to clarify deep condition and trim if nessecary. I am also participating in a style challenege to get me through the winter.
    What type is your hair? If it is similar we can talk. I am coming up on year four in december and I am loving every minute. Do you have an album?

I hope this helps.
    http://public.fotki.com/Turnergirl/ Updated 8/22/07
    This is how I am wearing my hair http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...06/washngo.jpg All over the place right now