Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just sharing this because I thought it was funny and a coincidence. Someone brought up kinky twist in another post, and a co-worker (white) just realized that my kinky twist are just extensions and I've worked with her for six months now. I added kinky twist to my hair june 03( the Marley type). Now before you say ewww that's too long to have that stuff in your hair, I've already heard it and now have a deaf ear. I must add for clarity that I started out with a 1/2 in fro. I had been wearing a fro for the last 4 years and needed something different. I was also suffering from hands-in-hair-all-the-timitis. Any chance I got I would twist my hair and twist it out and twist it again...blah blah blah. Sometimes I would twist it on my 15 min ferry ride, get home and finish it by 12 o'clock, have a twistout in the morn for work, and repeat. I fell in love with twisting my hair (I hope never to have arthritis). So I added the kinky twists thinking I could cure myself, no need to constantly twist my hair if I have extensions right? Umm no. I washed it after two weeks and the plan was to have them in for a month or two just to experiment, but some fell out so I retwisted them back in (quite easy to do) heck this was a two month investment $35 (lol). And after I had this reworking the "fallen ones" back in two months had past. Time to stop the experiment ... umm no. Ok my hair grew and those of you who twist your hair know that the longer it gets the longer it takes to twist. 2 hrs now become 4hrs. Then the boyfriend liked it alot don't take them out yet- month four. Halloween came and I was a gypsy-the hair was a prop. November and December it's cold in VA-who needs a scarf I have KINKY TWIST. And before you know it January is over and it's been SEVEN Months! :doh

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Lawwwwwd! I like how you got straight gangsta with the twist longevity. I know your hair has grown by leaps and bounds. I couldn't even keep my micros in for six weeks...I tend to be very meddlesome with my hair.

Sooo...when are you going to take them out? :huh
    [url='http://www.ghettointellect.com/nappykitchen']The Hair Journal[/url]

[url='http://www.ghettointellect.com/mylife']The "Regla" Journal[/url]

[color=red]HOLLLLAAAAAAAAA![/color]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I'm with MissLisa, when are you going to take them out?

I also used the Marely Braid and the longest I had my twists in was 4 months. Granted they're a lot easier to take out vs. braids my hair was still quite matted. I had already been natural for a year before I put the twists in.

If you don't have time to take them all down and put them up (if you wanted to retwist) how about doing a few every couple days or every week? Just check some of those twists to make sure your hair hasn't dredded up too badly.

Venetter
    My album

password: gemela

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the why it's so hard to get rid of them, because I am constantly taking out an extension, work out the fuzz, oil buildup and tangles then retwisting the extension back in that section. My hair has not matted up and I wash it around every two weeks .

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When are you going to wear your natural hair? Or are you going to always hide behind the kinky extensions.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so first I was thinking "dag, when you take it out your hair might go with it," but sense you came back and said you are reworking them and keeping them clean then I say DO YA THANG!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please don't let this turn into a "real" natural vs. "closet" natural discussion....without going into a whole lot of my background, which will be another long post.........I've been there and done that.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I´ve done that when I was transitioning....kept my big braid extentions for more than 3 months coz I would do what you are doing....unbraid one, comb out, oil, and then braid again....
    I know someone who kept her tiny braid extentions for a year!!! :doh I saw how they looked inside and I can tell you they were nasty!! :shocked She had not done anything to them...and she did not even tie a scarf to hide most of it away! She would make a movement, and they would swing and part and you could see the lint, and so mucn growth... And the extentions by the way were those glossy ones with straightish ends!!! She brushed the front of the hair line with all that growth, feeling that it looked at least neat! And remember she has all that growth hanging to the sleek braids! ....I was so embarasssed just thinking of her in the bus or train with that hair! :-P
    Ofcourse I asked her several times when she was going to remove them...She felt since they were so thin, she had to wear them to death!
    Uzuri - May 2006 NoTM
    Joined NP on 2003
    last chemical fire cream-April -May 2002, Cut off all relaxed hair-Nov 2nd 2003
    Loc´d Dec 11, 2011, redid some on Jan 1st, 2012

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a question. Are you proud of the fact that you have worn these extensions for so long?? Do you really think that is something to be proud of? I am not trying to bash you, I just want you to really think about it.

This site is filled with woman, who are natural, in transititon and a few who are thinking about it. Are you thinking about what you are going to do with your own hair? Please don't use the twist as a cruch for not showing your own hair. I hope your ultimate goal is to some day wear your god givin hair.

Sorry, if I over stepped by bounds but bragging about keeping basically the same twists in for seven months is nothing to be proud of and bragging about in public.

ETA: Check out these links from Dee regarding transitioning.
    http://www.nappturality.com/modules/wfsect...hp?articleid=27

http://www.nappturality.com/modules/wfsect...hp?articleid=26

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: seven month old twists....yeah yeah yeah

Quote Originally Posted by uzuri View Post
    I´ve done that when I was transitioning....kept my big braid extentions for more than 3 months coz I would do what you are doing....unbraid one, comb out, oil, and then braid again....
    I know someone who kept her tiny braid extentions for a year!!! :doh I saw how they looked inside and I can tell you they were nasty!! :shocked She had not done anything to them...and she did not even tie a scarf to hide most of it away! She would make a movement, and they would swing and part and you could see the lint, and so mucn growth... And the extentions by the way were those glossy ones with straightish ends!!! She brushed the front of the hair line with all that growth, feeling that it looked at least neat! And remember she has all that growth hanging to the sleek braids! ....I was so embarasssed just thinking of her in the bus or train with that hair! :-P
    Ofcourse I asked her several times when she was going to remove them...She felt since they were so thin, she had to wear them to death!
    that's me- if it's not my real hair I have no idea what to do...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics