Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just wanted to mention that I was the same way, I did everything right and was gentle.After 3 years of fighting it, I started locking this fall. I came to accept that my tightly coiled hair would split just from coiling upon itself....Others had the same remark. I had to trim alot and couldnt get passed 10-12 inches without severe damage. No heat,lots of moisture,protective styles everything. You MAY reach this point as well, unless you're fine with trimming and maintenance.I became obsessive about the splits,so I had to fine a happy place for me to be...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since hair is not living tissue it doesn't have regenerative properties. The best you could hope for would be something that could "patch" it up temporarily. Not sure what that would be though since the products we use as nappies can be really different than what we'd use as a permies.

Even if you could patch it up, you're only delaying the inevitable. Midshaft damage exposes the cortex which is responsible for the majority of the strength of your hair. Once your cuticles are damaged your cortex becomes highly vulnerable to mechnical manipulation, e.g., styling combing, brushing, twisting etc., which will eventually lead to it's breakdown, which then leads to breakage.

Not what you want to hear, I'm sure. Sowee...
    [/b]
    Thanks for breaking it down NMHM you always come with the knowledge :wub: I was always curious about this and thought i'd ask cause I was always told that once the ends were breaking and damaged your best bet to get hair back to its healthy state is to trim or cut depending on the severity of the breakage. You pretty much confirmed my thoughts

ETA: I hope things work out with your hair gg :wub: I wish I had some advice to give that you'd like but all I can think to suggest is getting a trim and as others have already said the deep treatments to help prevent future breakage.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair dried out a ton when I was using ORS Olive Oil lotion. It was the best moisturizer for the price...or so I thought. I was on modified cg (i co-washed a couple of times a week and shampooed once every other week), but my dumb butt never saw that the ORS had a major cone in it. It was literally suffocating my hair and I was using it everyday!!! Now that I've switched to all natural moisturizers (and did many, many moisturizing dt's), my hair is back to normal. Protein DT's may make the problem worse, try moisturizing ones first and then go from there.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks mocha, bh, and curlynikki!

Mocha: yeah, I was beginning to wonder if this is just something that my hair just does....but then I got to thinking....I remeber this summer (June) I got um...snaps fingers....pixies...they were super tight and gave me a bad headache and were extremely uncomfortable for the whole time I had them in (about 2 months).....doing the math that was about 2 inches of growth...somewhere midpoint of 3 inches of hair right....yeah could be the culprit.....luckily for me my hair is alot tougher than I give credit for because despite the tightness of the braids my ends didnt suffer much or my hair didnt immediately break off (and I had the nerve to color nowing dang well I shouldnt!) awww well.....

bh: thanks for your concern...and dont worry, a trim may be in my future
    curly: not only the cones but the petroleum! the only reason why I like it so much is because of that creamy consistency....
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12