User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    nikistyles Guest

I have a ton of herbal powders ( Chamomile, Sage, Orange Peel, Nettle Leaf, Peppermint). I was hoping to use them for a herbal shampoo mixture. Has anyone used powders instead of oils for shampoo ? Was there problems with them clumping together ? Any suggestions and recipes needed ...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO I would use them as a herbal rinse. I have used powders do a search for -> fenugreek & shulta <- if you want a laugh! I posted my results and the wet fenugreek powders just clumped in my napps for WEEKS!!! No matter what I did I was still picking them out of my hair. It took a whole month before I got every single one of the pesky things out.
    It&#39;s up to you but if you use powders be very careful the Chamomile will clump for sure because of the high amount of mucilage it contains. Let us know how you get on if you decide to go thru. with it.
    All the best!

15% off for NP members enter code -> i am beautiful <-

nikistyles Guest

IMHO I would use them as a herbal rinse. I have used powders do a search for -> fenugreek & shulta <- if you want a laugh! I posted my results and the wet fenugreek powders just clumped in my napps for WEEKS!!! No matter what I did I was still picking them out of my hair. It took a whole month before I got every single one of the pesky things out.
    It&#39;s up to you but if you use powders be very careful the Chamomile will clump for sure because of the high amount of mucilage it contains. Let us know how you get on if you decide to go thru. with it.
    All the best!
    [/b]
    Thank you. I&#39;ll save the powders for something else. Do you have any wonderful recipes using powders ?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bump!

I&#39;m also interested in some recipes using herbal powders...I want to use the fresh herbs for rinses & spritzes but I&#39;m thinking about using powders for deep conditioning treatments

An idea I have would be mixing powders like:

cocoa powder, rhassoul clay powder, marshmallow root powder, kelp powder, & others w/ a little oil or coconut milk to make a paste to deep condition & rinse out but I have no idea how to formulate it & how well it will rinse out...

please mixtresses share your wisdom

thanks
    <div align="center">[b] [color=#FF99FF]L[/color][color=#CC66CC]U[/color][color=#993399]V [/color] [color=#FF99FF]M[/color][color=#CC33CC]Y[/color] [color=#FF99FF]L[/color][color=#CC66CC]O[/color][color=#CC33CC]C[/color][color=#993399]S[/color][color=#FF99FF]!![/color]

[url="http://public.fotki.com/NappyRina/"]http://public.fotki.com/NappyRina/[/url][/b]</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can try Shikakai Powder (instead of shampoo) or mix it with amla for deep-cond.
    I haven&#39;t experience any clumped in my hair.
    I soak the powder overnight before use and i haven&#39;t have problem rinsing it out
    http://public.fotki.com/araba/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can try Shikakai Powder (instead of shampoo) or mix it with amla for deep-cond.
    I haven&#39;t experience any clumped in my hair.
    I soak the powder overnight before use and i haven&#39;t have problem rinsing it out
    [/b]

Hey Awura Afua,

What do you soak the Shikakai powder & Amla powder in while sitting overnight? (water, oil,etc)...

this sounds interesting...

will shikakai powder clean hair well without stripping it?

What is the percentage of powder used & percentage of liquid used for both the shampoo alternative & deep conditioning treatments?

Thanks
    <div align="center">[b] [color=#FF99FF]L[/color][color=#CC66CC]U[/color][color=#993399]V [/color] [color=#FF99FF]M[/color][color=#CC33CC]Y[/color] [color=#FF99FF]L[/color][color=#CC66CC]O[/color][color=#CC33CC]C[/color][color=#993399]S[/color][color=#FF99FF]!![/color]

[url="http://public.fotki.com/NappyRina/"]http://public.fotki.com/NappyRina/[/url][/b]</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

has anyone ever tried a dry shampoo? I have seen it on shelves at the store but have bener tried it myself. If you want to use your powders for a shampoo, a dry shampoo may be an application that works.

I was wondering about using powder extracts as well in oil formulations, but I read that the powders are water soluble. I tried dissolving some in glycerin but that didn&#39;t work right away. So I heated the combination and let it cool and it dissolved really nicely Has anyone used powder extracts in oil formulations successfully? I orginally tried an oil infusion with dried herbs, but it was so strong and I was looking for a way to get the benefit of the herbs without such a strong scent in the finished product.

I&#39;d be interested to know how you decide to use your herbal powders

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ nappyrina

The only oil I use in my hair is castor oil.
    My hair don&#39;t seems to like alot of oils (olive, tea-t, jojoba, coconut oil ect.) :dunno:

AnyWho..,
    To soak the shikakai & Amla, I first boil some water and poor it over the powder.

Will shikakai powder clean hair well without stripping it?
    - It didn&#39;t stripped my hair at all. I have use it a few times now.

What is the percentage of powder used & percentage of liquid used for both the shampoo alternative & deep conditioning treatments?

- I use about 25ml (if I am mixing the 2 ) or ca 40ml (if I am useing one product) :unsure: . I don&#39;t think it mattes, if you mix too much. The left-over can be use in 2-4 days.
    - I use enough hot water to make a paste (consistency of yoghurt).

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ nappyrina

UPDATE! :lol:

I was thinking the other day how may...be I should give olive oil another go yeah & and I did.

So yesterday I soak amla and added 1 table sp of olive oil. This morning I deep-condition with it.
    MY HAIR FEEL MORE SOFTER AND MOIST :wub:.

Well, I twist my hair without product ept castor on the ends