Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think running vs jogging depends on the person and their fitness level but i'm not sure.

for instance i consider a jog speed for me to be anywhere between 5.2 or 5.6 on a treadmill. I can go at that pace for like 45 minutes. i consider run to be anywhere from 5.9 -6.2 i can only do that for 5 minutes straight. anything more than 6.3 then there better be a zombie pit bull with freddie krueger knives because otherwise i cant do it.

actually does anyone know if there's a target heart rate range for each one?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a frequently heard and well-deserved adage among runners: "I run so that I can eat what I want."[/b]
    I knew a guy who used to say this. He was skinny as hell too. We had a lot in common but I didn't find him physically attractive in the slightest.

As for me, I've long said that the only way I'd start running is if someone was chasing me with a gun. :lol: Seriously, though...I'm in my 40s and I have weird knees (hereditary). Maybe the age thing isn't a valid excuse but what about the knees thing?
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on what your fitness level is. Running for some may be jogging for others. If you're going at a pace that you feel comfortable, i.e., you can hold a conversation without being out of breath, you're jogging. That could be a 4.5 on the treadmill for some and 5.5 for others. If you can't hold a conversation, you're running.

I agree that jogging/running for 30-45 minutes a day keeps you healthy and sexy and makes the weight fall off.
    Quit tripping on what you're wearing on your behind and get some education in your head.

ashta is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

honestly, i can't understand why we're splitting hairs over jogging vs. running.

when i was doing marathon training a couple of years ago, i could run 11 miles and not be so out of breath that i was panting. does that mean i was jogging? no, it just means that my fitness was such that i didn't get winded. sometimes not being out of breath is an indication a not working hard enough - not running far enough and/or fast enough.

when you are let's say recovering from a very long run, the next day, you will do a slow jog/run - but that is not walking.

when training for a mara or half mara) you will do a long run... but it is much slower than the weekday training pace by 1-2 minutes. is that a jog? or are you running? please, it's still running. there is no speed cut off. and i've never seen anything in a book or otherwise saying, well if you're moving at such and such speed then you're not running you're really jogging. that's just garbage. technically, it's are you ever kinda airborne? when you walk, there's always one foot on the ground.

----------------------------------

Here's a column by John Bingham who calls himself a penguin in part because he "runs" ("jogging" to some) so slowly. He writes for runnersworld magazine, not joggersworld. :lol: ...as he would say... get your shoes and waddle on...

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120...--911-0,00.html

The Inner Penguin

You have to start somewhere, so why not join a group whose motto is: "It's not about being slow. Really..."?
    By John Bingham

I'm a '90s guy. Or at least I was. That all seems so 20th century now. I'm not ready to call myself a "zero" guy, but I'll bet there are others who might. I know all about male bonding, I'm in touch with my feminine side, and I'm way too familiar with my inner child. But I'm just learning how to approach my inner penguin.

At first, I didn't even know there was an inner penguin. I thought that being a penguin was about being satisfied with what I had, about finding joy in the moment--and the movement--of running. I thought that being a penguin meant looking past others' expectations and getting to the truth about myself. I thought that being a penguin was about being slow.

Not long ago a 32-minute 10-K runner introduced himself to me as a penguin. I was astonished. He had talent, skill, and the body of an elite runner. How could he be a penguin? I thought he was just being kind, so I told him that he must be wrong.

"No," he said, smiling. "I don't run like a penguin, but I'm in touch with my inner penguin." He went on to say that he struggled against his limitations just as I did. He was honest enough to tell me of his frustration as he tried to break the 35-minute barrier, and then 34 and 33. As he talked about his training, he was telling me about himself.

He explained that there were days he would cruise through a run at 6:30 pace, enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells of the day. That, he said, was his inner penguin at work. I explained that I, too, often cruised through runs, but at something like a 12-minute pace. That, I told him, was my inner penguin at work, and my outer penguin at play.

As we laughed I began to understand that we were talking about the same phenomenon. We were both talking about releasing ourselves from the pressures of training, from the demands of travel and schedules, and allowing ourselves simply to enjoy the most fundamental component of being a runner: running.

That day I learned I have more in common with a 6-minute miler than with someone who has never tasted his own sweat. I learned that I have more in common with a sub-3-hour marathoner than with someone who has never felt the flush of achievement or the ache of failure. I learned it's what goes on in our souls that unites us as runners-and as penguins.

Since that encounter I view those runners in front of me somewhat differently. I no longer believe their speed is any reason to deny them the joy of being a penguin. I now see that it is possible to increase your speed or increase your distance without losing sight of the essential pleasure of running.

This insight has forced me to rethink some of my goals and aspirations. I've always feared reaching for my running potential because I thought it would mean losing the pleasure. I've been afraid to let go of my comfort, to find the limits of my body and mind. I thought it would mean I was no longer a penguin.

But I now see that being a penguin is more about what's inside than out, more about what we feel than what we accomplish, and more about what we can achieve than what we can't. Being a penguin isn't about what we do; it's about why we do it.

Waddle on, friends.
    "The miracle isn't that I finished . . . The miracle is that I had the courage to start."
    For more Penguin wit and wisdom, go to johnbingham.com.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a BEAST! :bolt:
    I ran a 5K this morning.

I'm still hella slow but...I did it dagnabbit!!!

I've lost 65lbs since Jan 2005. I hope that running will assist me in loosing the remaining 50 by Jan 2008. If not, at least I'll have sexy legs.

My first race is coming up--Feb. 10, 2007--Run for the Whales 5K on Maui. I'll be wearing a shirt that says "Thick Chick Running--Gimme Some Room"

www.runningahead.com
    is a nice running log online.
    [/b]
    Congrats! I'm thinking about doing a 5k in January. How did you know you were ready? I'm doing a 5k on the treadmill but I know it will be very different when Im actually on the pavement.
    My journey fotki.com/Imhisrhapsody
    pw: rhapsody

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, its probably a platypus. Look deeper.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a difference between jogging and running. Jogging is trotting that is slower than running. I certainly would not tell a person who just finished a 40 yard dash or jumped 10 hurdles that he/she just had a nice "jog". They're running. If you haven't put in the effort that they have and are going at less than half the pace, are not walking but barely breaking a sweat, you're jogging. Big difference.
    Quit tripping on what you're wearing on your behind and get some education in your head.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats! I'm thinking about doing a 5k in January. How did you know you were ready? I'm doing a 5k on the treadmill but I know it will be very different when Im actually on the pavement.
    [/b]
    I don't really know that I'm ready :blush: but I am able to run a 5K on a stadium track. I don't run on treadmills but I've read that it is a little different. Putting it (your treadmill) on an incline is believed to best simulate the difference caused by running outside on asphalt or pavement. For me, there is a huge difference between running on a track, asphalt and pavement.

As far as the race, I know that a ton of people are walking. So I'll certainly finish before them :P

You GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're my hero...you and anyone else that can run longer that 30 seconds...lol.

On the real... Congratulations, I'm very proud of you!
    :clap:
    [/b]
    Thank you!! I began by using the Couch25K program. You begin by running 60 seconds at a time--so you're half way there

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think running vs jogging depends on the person and their fitness level but i'm not sure.

for instance i consider a jog speed for me to be anywhere between 5.2 or 5.6 on a treadmill. I can go at that pace for like 45 minutes. i consider run to be anywhere from 5.9 -6.2 i can only do that for 5 minutes straight. anything more than 6.3 then there better be a zombie pit bull with freddie krueger knives because otherwise i cant do it.

actually does anyone know if there's a target heart rate range for each one?
    [/b]
    I totally agree with this. There are days that I can run at a speed of 6.0 miles per hour for an hour straight and there are days that I need to alternate my speed between 5.7 and 6.3 for the same amount of time. I consider this all to be running and I have the 10 pound weight loss to prove it. I think that the most important thing is to GET MOVING and if you want to lose weight, to stay moving for at least 45 minutes each time. It works! The speed will come, trust me.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[/b]
    do it! i did my first 5k last year after only working out on the treadmill. i ran most of the way but when it came to a big hill i had to walk up most of it. believe it or not i sort of went the same speed i would have done on the treadmill. seeing all those people running along side you and all those people on the sidelines cheering you on will really help keep you inspired.
    especially if the people zooming past you are people you wouldnt expect could do it. so if they can do it at 95 and a prostetic leg, then gosh darn it you can too

ashta is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a difference between jogging and running. Jogging is trotting that is slower than running. I certainly would not tell a person who just finished a 40 yard dash or jumped 10 hurdles that he/she just had a nice "jog". They're running. If you haven't put in the effort that they have and are going at less than half the pace, are not walking but barely breaking a sweat, you're jogging. Big difference.
    [/b]

well, i guess all those world class marathoners who finish in 2 hours are runners and those who finish in 3 or 4 or 5 hours are jogging. :lol:

but please be clear, genetics, not merely hardwork contributes to someone's speed, ability, running gait, etc. but if i used your logic, a runner has hit the genetic lottery. a jogger is merely a pretender. so, there are an awful lot of people who think they are running...pity them, they are only jogging.

and let's see, what about those who do ultras? the guy who won the badwater in death valley (135 miles) ran it in something like 25 hours. he averaged over 11 mins/mile. the woman who won it before him averaged something closer to 12 mins/mile. hmmm, are they running or jogging?

comparing sprinters to long distance is really apples to oranges. many sprinters might turn into what some people regard as "joggers" if they had to stretch to doing a 5k or longer. that's why they don't crossover in a world class kinda way.

one person's jog is another person's heart attack.

Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast