Kalia is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In all seriousness. What is the best way to get started? Is it necessary to stretch beforehand?

I am so hyped about getting started!

I have always admired runners as I watched them pass by. Secretly inside always longing to be on the move just like them
    "Look at those who have less than you and never look at those who have more than you,
    this will ensure that you will not belittle the favours of God"
    (Sahih Muslim)

ashta is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i always write the same thing...

- get fitted for running shoes at a running shoe store...not a footlocker, etc. - if possible run on the treadmill in store...disregard brand names you're familiar with - nike, reebok - they may not be best for you. you don't need to pay more than $100, but not under $70 (at reg. retail) for good shoes.

- run in moisture wicking socks to avoid blisters...moisture wicking clothes too (that includes the bra), to avoid chafing. you can get this stuff at target (where they are decent, nice but inexpensive) and at other online stores, sports chalet, etc.

- light run for 5 mins. then stop to gently stretch, then finish your workout.

- visit runnersworld.com to get the answer to anything and everything you wanna know about running. search twinge and knee and i'm sure you'll get something. it's all they write about so there really isn't anything you (as a novice) can come up with that they have not already covered.

- treadmills are fine for running. don't let anybody tell you otherwise. beware of the snobbish runner, especially those who have not run a lot.

- if you're running in the street, run towards the cars.

- you really only need gatorade on runs longer than six miles or when it's incredibly hot.

-be hydrated before running.

- don't allow yourself to get stuck in what i call the 3-mile rut. it's like a goal for everyone but once people get there, they think they are doing fine. it is ok, but you have to push yourself maybe once a week. you'll never get better as a runner (in terms of fitness, speed, ability to run further, etc.) if you just get too comfortable. you'll be surprised by how far you can go. push yourself past that threshold even if it means slowing down to the (gasp) "jog." when you train for distance you always do a workout that requires you to run slow and long to get your body accustomed to the demands.

- contrary to what that coolrunning article says, unless you're running a lot, i don't think you can actually eat as much as you want or even overeat a little. if you only run for 30 mins, that's only 300 cal (more or less) depending on your size and speed/intensity. if you're overweight to begin with, the pounds are gonna drop off faster/easier. everyone is different, but in general, i think i can have a bit more leeway than a couch potato but there are many people who run but don't have a slender physic. it's probably because they think they can eat anything. when you eat cleaner, it shows up in your actual running results - speed, etc. - and of course in the look of your body. on the other hand, if you're training for a mara, your body does require more calories but i still think you've got to watch it.

my two cents...

Kalia is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote]
    i always write the same thing...

Why did you type that line?

I only asked because I honestly didn't know.

I would have rather heard from another poster then to be responded to in that manner.

Thanks for the information nonetheless.
    "Look at those who have less than you and never look at those who have more than you,
    this will ensure that you will not belittle the favours of God"
    (Sahih Muslim)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i used to run distance in high school, i lost so much weight and my body looked so great. Im starting to get back into a running regiment now- since im slowly trying to recover from my knee surgery back in febuary.. i actually ran 2.25 miles today in about 19 mins. I probably will never run long marathons, or run to much to often.. b/c running is really bad for the knees, and im not trying to weap the damage when i get older. I mainly do the elliptical in high intervals for a good period of time, and run 2x-4x a week tops only 2-3 miles a day.
    "I'm [b]sorry[/b]- but i refuse to end up baldheaded and brainwashed"-me

ashta is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gee...

i didn't mean it like that. it was just me thinking aloud - about how i sound like a broken record to myself...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the advice on running in the cold? I love to run outside but when it's cold, I'm afraid I'll pass out between the cold weather and some sweats...just conflicts. Pls advise.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for this. I lost 10 lbs in a month running. I stopped and neeless to say it's back and I don't want it...I need a tread mill I have a gym membership but I can't get to the gym with my car on the fritz and a 6 year old. Off to look into a tead mill. I know I'd use the heyl out of it as much as I was going to the gym b/f
    no more locs 12/31/2006
    hair cut 3/27/07
    UPDATED 10/07
    come check me out no pw needed

http://public.fotki.com/sarah78/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In all seriousness. What is the best way to get started? Is it necessary to stretch beforehand?

I am so hyped about getting started!

I have always admired runners as I watched them pass by. Secretly inside always longing to be on the move just like them
    [/b]
    definitely get fitted for good shoes like ashta says. i have a pair of ryka's that are so comfortable. the only thing they are running shoes and they definitely feel a bit odd when i walk in them.

do a warm up for 5 minutes and then stretch and then get to doing it. one thing that worked for me when i first started was doinging intervals, so i'd walk for 2 minutes then run for 1. the next week or so i'd walk for 1.5minutes and then run for 1.5. etc. eventually i got to the point where i could run 30 minutes straight. then after that you can start adding more time, more hills and more speed.

also stretch afterwards too. not just the large muscles like quads, and hamstrings but also hip flexors, that muscle at thebottom of your booty/start of your hamstring and of course low back.

wise you should check nearby gyms, sometimes ta the end of the yeatr they get rid of their old machines to upgrade. i know someone who got a stairmaster and treadmill that way. they were gym quality so even though they were used they didnt break down.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^ thanks GalaxyGirl.
    I've been searching NP on suggestions for brands. Nothing yet.
    If I can't find one from a Gym would you have a model you'd suggest or even a price range? I read if you get one for less than $500 it'll break down on you.
    no more locs 12/31/2006
    hair cut 3/27/07
    UPDATED 10/07
    come check me out no pw needed

http://public.fotki.com/sarah78/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^ thanks GalaxyGirl.
    I've been searching NP on suggestions for brands. Nothing yet.
    If I can't find one from a Gym would you have a model you'd suggest or even a price range? I read if you get one for less than $500 it'll break down on you.
    [/b]
    call a y or gym near you. there are also a few places i think that sell gym quality machines not sure where you are.

my friend got her machines from a ymca. she just called to see when they were planning on upgrading and if they would be replacing any machines soon. they werent pretty of course but they are sturdy. she's had the stairmaster for about 10 years now and the treadmill for about 5 and they are both going strong. i know she paid under $300 for each one.

i've only bought a few machines for home use, but they all broke down what about nordictrack?

Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast