Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/163.shtml

Balancing the Scales
    Running is one of the best weight-loss activities out there. Make it even more effective by tuning your workouts for improved fat-burning.

With consistency and a sound diet, the pounds will take care of themselves.

E-mail this page
    Printer-friendly page

By Josh Clark
    Posted Saturday, 23 February, 2002

Anyone who has been passed in a race by a runner thirty pounds heavier than they are (and it has happened to almost all of us at least once) knows that a few extra pounds do not by any means relegate you to the back of the pack. It may be true that the very best runners have wire-thin frames, but for most recreational runners, slashing your weight to improve your running performance should not be an overriding concern.

Not that you should put aside your weight-loss goals. Many come to the sport, and rightly so, as a way to lose weight and regain fitness. As one of the most vigorous exercises out there, running is among the best regimens for dropping pounds.

All good things, however, come in moderation. Runners are a disciplined lot, often completely devoted to our sport and to getting in our beloved miles every week. For some of us, however, this dogged determination can have a negative underside when it is applied too obsessively to diet and body image. While you should certainly follow a healthy, low-fat diet, understand too that as a runner you are an athlete and you burn enough calories to give yourself some leeway. Feel free to reward yourself from time to time with a few extra calories. It is a frequently heard and well-deserved adage among runners: "I run so that I can eat what I want."

It is in the end a question of balance. Given a healthy diet and a steady exercise routine, your body will find your natural healthy weight on its own. With a little planning, you can help it happen that much faster. But give yourself time. Crash diets are a fantastically bad idea. The best way to lose weight is by dedicating yourself over a long period of time to good eating and exercise habits.

Running for weight loss>

As weight-loss exercises go, running is right at the top. Although you may hear that lower-intensity exercises such as walking and jogging are better for fat-burning, it's not entirely the case. It is true that the proportion of fat to carbohydrates burned is higher with low-intensity exercise -- the same is true for sitting in front of your computer right now. But high-intensity exercise, like running, burns more total calories per minute (and marginally more per mile), including a higher absolute number of fat calories.

That said, this does not mean that you should necessarily do heavy, intense sprinting to burn the most fat. It's the law of diminishing returns. As you increase the intensity of your workout to maximum effort, your body uses fewer and fewer calories of fat and more from carbohydrate-supplied glycogen. This is because it's easier for your body to convert glycogen into energy -- when your body works at peak effort it seeks energy from the most efficient source. So the key is finding the right balance: an exercise level that is sufficiently intense to burn more calories, but not so intense that you stop burning fat altogether.

Turns out that you can find this balance in an easy-paced run of at least forty minutes. Keep the pace below your 10K pace, something more like a marathon pace. To burn this fat most efficiently, it is ideal to run for at least forty minutes per session. While you burn mainly carbohydrates in the first minutes of your run, your body switches to fat as its primary fuel after about 30 minutes.

The key is managing the intensity of your workout. When your running becomes very labored, you're not burning much fat. If you can keep up an easy comfortable pace for 40 minutes, that's ideal. If 40 minutes is a stretch for you, or if you start becoming very tired, take frequent breaks of brisk walking. You will burn more fat with three of these 40-minute workouts per week than you will with six 20-minute workouts.

Over time, too, as your body becomes more and more accustomed to exercise, your muscles become trained to use more fat as fuel, rather than carbohydrates. Because muscle feeds on fat, it becomes a snowball effect: the higher your percentage of muscle, the more fat you burn all day long. Keep in mind that as you lose fat, you may not necessarily lose weight. Muscle weighs more than fat, and you should not be alarmed if you actually gain weight with your exercise program. Look again: you may be gaining weight but losing inches.

A simple formula>

The calculus of weight loss is not terribly complicated: burn more calories than you take in.

By running, of course, you step up your calorie use significantly, since the average forty-minute run burns about 500 calories. By eating moderate meals and grazing on healthy snacks throughout the day, you can keep your calories below the break-even point (about 2500 calories per day for the average runner) without ever feeling hungry.

Although most people seem to associate weight-loss with hunger pangs, that is precisely the wrong approach. Better to avoid ever getting too hungry in the first place. It is when you are hungriest that you are most likely to throw caution to the wind and engage in a flat-out binge. For details on when and how much you should eat, read "Portion Patrol."

Exercise, much more than diet, is the key, however, since a healthy lifestyle leads on its own to a healthy body. Diets alone often don't keep weight off for long, since self-denial is neither fun nor sustainable over the long haul. Fitness, too, seems to promote a better communication between your mind and body; runners typically become more sensitive to the times when they are over-eating or eating the wrong foods.

Have patience, enjoy your running and put your weight worries on the back burner. With consistency and a sound diet, the pounds will take care of themselves.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

anyone else running foir weight loss?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually Im not Running Yet Im Joggin at a good pace for me..Im hopes I will be able to Run..Next year I wanna do a Marathon...Put yea Running and or joggin..uses the bigger muscles which burns more calories So I can see why its on the top for Weight loss..another good one is Hiking...that sure gets ur heart pumping..
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/YaYaNatural/"]UPDATES!!! updated August 5,2009 You Have to LOG IN to see the PICS.
    My First BC-May 22,2006
    2nd BC- SEPTEMBER 27,2007
    RELAXED Nov 9th,2008
    Transition Decided on Nov 20th.
    3rd BC-December 12, 2008

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats the cut off between running and jogging. :lol: maybe i'm jogging. i can jog/run 12 minute mile for 40 minutes but a 10 minute mile i can only keep up for 7 minutes before i need to walk and catch my breath and do it again.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to run everyday after work. I kid you not, the weight just FELL off! I need to start running again!
    "All of the children of Adam make mistakes, and the best of them are those who repent." - Muhammad (salalahu alaihi wa salam)
    [color=#CC33CC]Build Your Own Freelance Writing Career[/color] [url="http://avid-writer.blogspot.com"]The Avid Writer[/url]
    [url="http://www.avidwritercommunications.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/twitter.pdf"]FREE Tutorial[/url] for Businesses New to the World of Twitter

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running is the only way I lose weight and keep it off. I ran today for the first time in a couple of months- I felt fantastic! I only ran for about 20 minutes but it really energised me. I've been feeling lethargic lately and I decided I needed to get back into the swing of things.

I've lost about 20 lbs over the last year or so which is a huge deal since I am only 5 feet tall so you can really see the difference. Most of this weight was lost by running ( the rest was lost through stress- bad idea).

Even at my best this summer, I only made my way up to running for 3 miles which is only about half and hour, not sure if I can handle 40 mins but 30 mins has worked well for me.

"What is for you cyaah be unfor you" Colin Channer
    5 year lock update
    5 1/2 year update

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy running on the treadmill regularly. It feels good. This article was really helpful.
    "A true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. A true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginningless time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purified light."
    Taken from Avatar: The Last Airbender, the series.

Proud CNA and Nursing Student :))

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a BEAST! :bolt:
    I ran a 5K this morning.

I'm still hella slow but...I did it dagnabbit!!!

I've lost 65lbs since Jan 2005. I hope that running will assist me in loosing the remaining 50 by Jan 2008. If not, at least I'll have sexy legs.

My first race is coming up--Feb. 10, 2007--Run for the Whales 5K on Maui. I'll be wearing a shirt that says "Thick Chick Running--Gimme Some Room"

www.runningahead.com
    is a nice running log online.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a BEAST! :bolt:
    I ran a 5K this morning.

I'm still hella slow but...I did it dagnabbit!!!

I've lost 65lbs since Jan 2005. I hope that running will assist me in loosing the remaining 50 by Jan 2008. If not, at least I'll have sexy legs.

My first race is coming up--Feb. 10, 2007--Run for the Whales 5K on Maui. I'll be wearing a shirt that says "Thick Chick Running--Gimme Some Room"

www.runningahead.com
    is a nice running log online.
    [/b]
    You GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're my hero...you and anyone else that can run longer that 30 seconds...lol.

On the real... Congratulations, I'm very proud of you!
    :clap:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been thinking about doing this. I walk alot but I think jogging would be a good idea for the winter. A few trips around the block would do me some good :lol:
    THiNK PiNK!~Nappy & loving it since 6.25.05~
    public.fotki.com/Loquacious1
    Be Decadent! Decadentindustries.net
    COMING SOON - DecadentBeauty.net
    Ad Approval Code: N1311

ashta is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually Im not Running Yet Im Joggin at a good pace for me..Im hopes I will be able to Run..Next year I wanna do a Marathon...Put yea Running and or joggin..uses the bigger muscles which burns more calories So I can see why its on the top for Weight loss..another good one is Hiking...that sure gets ur heart pumping..
    [/b]

a few years ago, when i was running 9-10 min miles, a very experienced runner made fun of me by insisting that i was only jogging.

some runners can be snobby, especially men. i'm sure you're running. now, sometimes i do see some people, usually elderly, who are threading a fine line between running and walking. but at least they are out there doing something.

Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast