Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MOM - She always told me to speak my mind and question everything, no apologies

Mo'Nique - Isn't ashamed of her looks, encourages all people to be their best selves, and even though she lost weight, she doesn't brag or talk about it much; it's not a big deal

Maxine Shaw (from 'Living Single') - Not real, but so what! Had really cool hair, told people about themselves, had a successful career but wasn't boring, never lessened herself for a man

Khadijah James (from 'Living Single') - Not real, but so what! Very driven and career-oriented, was her own boss, never lessened herself for a man

I really can't think of too many.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Exotica_X View Post
    Maxine Shaw (from 'Living Single') - Not real, but so what! Had really cool hair, told people about themselves, had a successful career but wasn't boring, never lessened herself for a man
    I can totally relate to this!!! She always reminded me of myself and I absolutely loved her on the show!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jasmine Kelly, One of my sisters and the focal member of our clan
    Unnamed NP Member, Future Dictator & Co-Owner of my Life's Work
    Cynthia McKinney, Politician
    Ann Wolfe, Boxer
    Irma Washington, My Former Boss @ a Fortune 500 Company
    Jill Scott, Singer & Songwriter
    Lisa Leslie, Basketball Player
    Mary J. Blige, Singer & Songwriter
    Lauren Hill, Multi-talented Artist & Entertainer
    DeeCoily
    Jean Grae, Lyricist
    If your import amid discussion is to ridicule, sabotage, and/or dismiss, you will no longer receive the privilege of my attention. Passive aggressive behaviors are a defense mechanism of oppressed and ultimately even self-defeated persons. Disregarding and/or ridiculing the concerns of others doesn't legitimize or address your own. You have betrayed a critical trust I must have in you that you are engaging or asking of me to enhance each of our perspectives rather than ridicule mine or reaffirm your own biases. Express your own concerns and/or support your own ideals. Your antics reek of repression and aren't constructive.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Thread Idea!!!!!

1) MY PHYSICAL PLANE TRANSPORTER AND CARRIER aka mommy - Amazonian strength with a the most giving heart. Could've chosen to "put me back" due to external pressures, but loved me before she she even knew my face and fought for my right to exist

2) LAURYN HILL - Modern day Prophetess

3) QUEEN IFRICA - Representing for all the Rasta Empresses and putting female reggae in the spotlight while simultaneously lifting the consciousness of female reggae

4) JILL SCOTT - Philly native with soul that runs sooo deep and confidence and swag that is blinding!

5) ELLEN JOHNSON SIRLEAF - First Female President in Afrika!!

6) WANGARI MAATHAI - Kenyan Nobel Prize winner for environmental causes. First Woman in East/central Afrika to get her doctorate.

whooo! I'm really thinking here!!! Kinda upset with myself that its taking so long to think of ten names

7) CYNTHIA McKINNEY - Female Politician working in Babylon for our benefit all the while getting constantly maligned.

8) ASSATA SHAKUR - Black Panther that has been wrongly exiled to Cuba.

9) SONIA SANCHEZ - Her aura is.... unexplainable. One of the few responsible for successfully fighting for a Black studies department to be instilled in Colleges nationwide. She could have given up on Amerikkka but instead chose to fight, and still is to THIS DAY at 76!!!!!

10) SUNNI PATTERSON - Spoken Word Artist/Prophetess that is so real and talented, that her poems sometimes hurts just by the blunt force of it hitting your spirit so hard....

Wow......

Thank you for this thread. I never knew how much these Womyn have impacted my life and growth as a Black/Afrikan womb-man. Bless sistren!

Quote Originally Posted by Intellexual View Post
    Unnamed NP Member, Future Dictator & Co-Owner of my Life's Work

P.S Dee is a default option so I don't even even need to put her on my list. I mean think about it, this IS her website, LOL!! :P

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My List

Let's see if I have 10, it was hard to think of that many. In no particular order...

1. Oprah Winfrey
    2. Tyra Banks
    3. Michelle Obama
    4. Venus Williams
    5. Serena Williams
    6. Beyonce
    7. Halle Berry
    8. Janet Jackson
    9. Condoleeza Rice
    10. Editor of Essence Magazine

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maya Angelou-the first black author I ever read
    My Granny-born in MS in the 1920's still managed to own property and raise a family
    My Auntie G-She fierce and determined
    Mrs. Barbie-a teacher in my elementary school, she was so strong and positive even though she wasn't my teacher
    My Big Sis-she has overcome hardship, kept her faith and kept her family close
    Oprah Winfrey-no explanation needed
    Queen Latifah-first female rapper I ever heard go for reals... I was hooked
    Mary J. Blige-her music allowed my soul to bleed and grieve it saved my life no joke
    Whoopi Goldberg-she's just real, her original one woman show changed my life
    Gayle King- shows what true friendship and sisterhood is, she rides for O and that is hard to find
    ~Never allow someone with limited vision to limit yours~
    Officially Nappy 6 Feb 03
    Loc Journey began 17 Mar 07
    I be bloggin'...PM me for the lank!
    iStruggle...I'm a work in progress
    If I don't respond to your post directed at me, I probably have you on ignore #truestory

murakan is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Queen Sanaa..got to LOVE Audre Lourde..

I love all the above (even the ones I wouldnt nominate get respect for being black women, surviving and striving!)

I would add bell hooks to this list as she kept me SANE throughout my undergrad career also Michelle Wallace and OLIVE MORRIS..the black women I have worked with, who resist white supremacy and press on with our agenda even though they are constantly overlooked, derided and patronised..of course my mother who is just the most amazingly strong beautiful woman Ive ever known..all the unamed women who gave time and energy to the struggle, the daily struggle of feeding us and our men..I dont think we could ever compile a list that would accurately or adequately do black women in their forms justice..we were, are and will always be amazing!!

Thinking about this has made me feel so blessed, I have grown up and continue to be surrounded by black women that are absolutely AMAZING in every aspect..acheivers, lovers, mothers, writers, lawyers, teachers, phenomenal women..and with the exception of a few..they were ALL napptural women!!
    Black man know yourself...dont forget your past ~ Fela Kuti

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Maya Angelou
    2. Angela Davis
    3. Toni Morrison
    4. Annette Rainwater: A local Political Activist
    5. Ollie Pruitt: My Great Aunt
    6. Rosa Parks
    7. Sharon McGhee's "The Pocketbook Monologues," (a combo of strong black women)
    8. Michelle Obama
    9. My Mom Erma D.
    10. Sojourner Truth
    I am my hair and my hair is me, God gave it to me the way he wanted it to be, so I am here now sporting it, for the rest of the world to see! NiceNapLady

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is so interesting.. because I honestly can't think of not ONE Black woman that has really been influential.. I will come back to you on this one..
    "Life is an unfoldment, and the further we travel the more truth we can comprehend. To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those that lie beyond." ~ Hypatia

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast