Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BEFORE ANY ONE TELLS ME TO LOOK AT THE PINNED TOPIC "MUST READ FOR LOCERS", I ALREADY HAVE!!!

ANY HOW, I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS DEVELOPED ANY HOMEADE RECIPES TO COMBAT WINTER LOC DRYNESS? I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING FROM LOC SOAKS TO OILING MY SCALP AND LOCS(WHICH I NEVER DO) AND MY LOCS ARE SO DRY...TO THE POINT THEY COULD BREAK OFF FROM THE BRITTLENESS!!!

THE PRODUCTS I HAVE BEEN USING ARE ISLAND OIL BY JAMAICAN MANGO AND LIME THAT I INFUSE WITH PEPPERMINT AND ROSEMARY ESSENTIAL OILS, EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, COCONUT OIL, BLACK SOAP SHAMPOO(HOMEADE) PURE ALOE VERA GEL FROM THE WHOLE FOODS STORE, AND HONEY(MIXED WITH COCONUT AND EVOO AS CONDITIONER). I AM TRYING TO STAY AS NATURAL AS I POSSIBLY CAN AND MY LOCS ARE STILL DRY!!! I HAVE HAD MY LOCS FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS(NEXT MONTH) AND I STILL DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! IF ANYONE HAS ANY RECIPES THAT HAVE BEEN WORKING WILL YOU PLEASE POST THEM SO I CAN GIVE THEM A TRY????? THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!
    'SHA

[url="http://public.fotki.com/khashasknaps/"]http://public.fotki.com/khashasknaps/[/url]

[url="http://www.glitteryourway.com"][img]http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1562/glitteryourway5b72ae2fc3e996f07042bb41eea00449il1.gif[/img][/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked a similar question on another thread (Winter locs). So far this is what I'm doing. Increased my water intake(this is difficult in winter) I'm doing the usual oil/water spray/spritzing. More acv rinses. And I found knotty boy dreadlock coconut conditioning spray (sorry I'm not sure if it's all natural, it's certainly not home made.) I'm using this sparingly with water. It contains glycerine. I've noticed some improvement. However, I'll be glad if someone has a better idea.
    God is faithful

feepee Guest

BEFORE ANY ONE TELLS ME TO LOOK AT THE PINNED TOPIC "MUST READ FOR LOCERS", I ALREADY HAVE!!!

ANY HOW, I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS DEVELOPED ANY HOMEADE RECIPES TO COMBAT WINTER LOC DRYNESS? I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING FROM LOC SOAKS TO OILING MY SCALP AND LOCS(WHICH I NEVER DO) AND MY LOCS ARE SO DRY...TO THE POINT THEY COULD BREAK OFF FROM THE BRITTLENESS!!!

THE PRODUCTS I HAVE BEEN USING ARE ISLAND OIL BY JAMAICAN MANGO AND LIME THAT I INFUSE WITH PEPPERMINT AND ROSEMARY ESSENTIAL OILS, EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, COCONUT OIL, BLACK SOAP SHAMPOO(HOMEADE) PURE ALOE VERA GEL FROM THE WHOLE FOODS STORE, AND HONEY(MIXED WITH COCONUT AND EVOO AS CONDITIONER). I AM TRYING TO STAY AS NATURAL AS I POSSIBLY CAN AND MY LOCS ARE STILL DRY!!! I HAVE HAD MY LOCS FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS(NEXT MONTH) AND I STILL DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! IF ANYONE HAS ANY RECIPES THAT HAVE BEEN WORKING WILL YOU PLEASE POST THEM SO I CAN GIVE THEM A TRY????? THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!
    [/b]
    dang sha, you're not using all that at once are you? lol

hmmm. when my locs are dry i use this deep conditioner that La'Vida Given by Nature (www.lavidagivenbynature.com) makes. It's made with avacado and some other stuff. you not gone make me go to the closet and read it are ya? lol! i'm not even sure if she has it on her site. you may be better off emailing her to make a special request, just tell her feeps referred you and she'll make up a batch for you. ANYWAYS.. that stuff smells so good it make me hungry. lol.

this is how i use it. I use a clarifying shampoo (for me usually suave daily clarifying, but use whatever u like). i do that to make sure my locs are CLEAN. most time my dry "looking" locs are actually dirty locs. after that i slather on some of that avocado deep conditioner. now i leave it on for maybe 15 minutes. it says u can leave it on for a couple hours. im not that patient lol. once i did leave it on for almost 3 hours. i put on a plastic cap (or grocery bag, hehehe) and a headscarf and ran some errands. got back home and SHAMPOOED again. yes u read right. the conditioner is thick and i don't think its save to NOT wash them out of locs. because of potential build up. so i shampoo my hair one last time and squeeze my locs dry. then usually let 'em air dry.

now i KNOW Everyone's locs are not the same. but that stuff ALWAYS has my locs feeling light fluffy and soft. and smelling good. i've gotten compliments on the smell. and now my locs are long enought where i'm stitting at my desk and i'll pull a couple under my nose and sniff them. what? dont act like i'm the only one to do that. lol.

La'Vida's stuff is handmade and all natural. you may even want to just email her and let her know what your issues are and she MIGHT make something special for you. She also makes this bomb loc twisting gel that's mostly aloe. i use that on my hair clients and they usually like it so much they want to place an order. leave the locs soft. i normally mix a light oil with the loc gel for more sheen. and a little goes a long way.

La"vida goes by Barklel on napp so please do PM her or check out her site and contact her there if you are interested.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dang sha, you're not using all that at once are you? lol

hmmm. when my locs are dry i use this deep conditioner that La'Vida Given by Nature (www.lavidagivenbynature.com) makes. It's made with avacado and some other stuff. you not gone make me go to the closet and read it are ya? lol! i'm not even sure if she has it on her site. you may be better off emailing her to make a special request, just tell her feeps referred you and she'll make up a batch for you. ANYWAYS.. that stuff smells so good it make me hungry. lol.

this is how i use it. I use a clarifying shampoo (for me usually suave daily clarifying, but use whatever u like). i do that to make sure my locs are CLEAN. most time my dry "looking" locs are actually dirty locs. after that i slather on some of that avocado deep conditioner. now i leave it on for maybe 15 minutes. it says u can leave it on for a couple hours. im not that patient lol. once i did leave it on for almost 3 hours. i put on a plastic cap (or grocery bag, hehehe) and a headscarf and ran some errands. got back home and SHAMPOOED again. yes u read right. the conditioner is thick and i don't think its save to NOT wash them out of locs. because of potential build up. so i shampoo my hair one last time and squeeze my locs dry. then usually let 'em air dry.

now i KNOW Everyone's locs are not the same. but that stuff ALWAYS has my locs feeling light fluffy and soft. and smelling good. i've gotten compliments on the smell. and now my locs are long enought where i'm stitting at my desk and i'll pull a couple under my nose and sniff them. what? dont act like i'm the only one to do that. lol.

La'Vida's stuff is handmade and all natural. you may even want to just email her and let her know what your issues are and she MIGHT make something special for you. She also makes this bomb loc twisting gel that's mostly aloe. i use that on my hair clients and they usually like it so much they want to place an order. leave the locs soft. i normally mix a light oil with the loc gel for more sheen. and a little goes a long way.

La"vida goes by Barklel on napp so please do PM her or check out her site and contact her there if you are interested.
    [/b]

THAAAAAAAAAANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH FEEPS :wub: !!! THAT WAS SO INFORMATIVE!!!! AND NO I DONT USE ALL THOSE NATURAL PRODUCTS AT ONCE...LOLOLOLOL!!!!! I WILL BE EMAIILING BARKLEL VERY VERY SOON!!!! THANKS AGAIN GIRLFRIEND!!!!

I asked a similar question on another thread (Winter locs). So far this is what I'm doing. Increased my water intake(this is difficult in winter) I'm doing the usual oil/water spray/spritzing. More acv rinses. And I found knotty boy dreadlock coconut conditioning spray (sorry I'm not sure if it's all natural, it's certainly not home made.) I'm using this sparingly with water. It contains glycerine. I've noticed some improvement. However, I'll be glad if someone has a better idea.
    [/b]

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING...THIS GIVES ME MORE OPTIONS THAN I WAS DEALING WITH!!!!
    'SHA

[url="http://public.fotki.com/khashasknaps/"]http://public.fotki.com/khashasknaps/[/url]

[url="http://www.glitteryourway.com"][img]http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1562/glitteryourway5b72ae2fc3e996f07042bb41eea00449il1.gif[/img][/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just the other day i made a spritz of my regular spring water and walnut/avocado oils, with essential oils of eucalyptus, rosemary, ylang ylang, sweet orange, and jasmine. and it was NOT doing the trick. so i added more of the walnut and avocado oils, and in addition through in a couple squeezes of abba nourishing leave in and a dallop or two of castor oil. and my hair has been light and moisturized. even my flaky scalp is calmer.

before putting on the spritz, i washed with paul mitchell tea tree (generic) and nexxus therappe. muah, light, fresh smelling, moisturized hair.

and the spritz really locked it in.
    http://public.fotki.com/londylocks --updated August 2010
    pw: strange fruit

follow me twitter: http://twitter.com/londyjamel
    check out my music: http://music.jdgreensoul.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still a newbie but I'm finding that nothing can replace drinking the appropriate amount of water. I got off my 6-8 glasses for like 2 weeks, and my dandruff came back after like a month of no problems.

The other thing I do that's working well is to wet my locs daily.

Now my skin is another story, but that's what I get for buying products made of mineral oil and petroleum.

puchi is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not sure if i will be much help, but during the winter i usually keep my hair soft w/ an oil spritz made with olive oil and a bunch of EO's (too many to name). it absorbs pretty quick and doesnt weigh my hair down. Also i try not to expose my hair to the dry air as much. Im not sure if that will be easy for you based on your job, but if you can get away with it...wrap those babies up!!

Maybe your products may be causing dryness, just b/c they are natural doesnt mean that they will make your hair super soft.

Good luck!!