Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i keep reading how some people do protective styles that last not only weeks but a whole month or more. whew! my head starts itching after one week. it is a struggle for me not to wash my hair everyday.
    for some reason strong conditioners or heavy moisturizers, although good for my hair, irriatate my scalp.
    my scalp actually feels sore if i don't wash it often.
    anybody have this issue? can't wear protective styles due to need to wash hair?
    ....and, my hair will tangle for life i even think to leave it in a style for more than 2 weeks (i've done it and it wasn't pretty).

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've wanted to try finger and comb coils, but i havent because i also need to wash my hair and scalp a few times a week.

for me, boxed braids are the best because they hang the same after they dry and i dont get tangles and they dont come undone like twistd

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have got pretty tangly hair. But I still protective style for weeks at a time. I have a very normal scalp. Almost no itchies. But I still have to clean it with sea breeze or something. Because my hair tangles so much I do not wash or co-wash in twists. I keep a set of twists in for 6-7 weeks. This set I am trying for 8 weeks. I am getting to the point where I would like to deep condition more than once every 6 or so weeks. I hear that box braids are a lot more forgiving than twists. They do not tangle as much and you can wash wash away and they will look good. Maybe you can try box braids and co-wash or wash a couple of times a week. Then you could protect and take care of your scalp.
    http://public.fotki.com/Turnergirl/ Updated 8/22/07
    This is how I am wearing my hair http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...06/washngo.jpg All over the place right now

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep a set of twists in for 6-7 weeks.
    Maybe you can try box braids and co-wash or wash a couple of times a week. Then you could protect and take care of your scalp.
    [/b]
    ooh you lucky. i wish i could keep my hair in that long.
    yes, my hair is in box braids right now. well, they're not exactly all boxed shaped, kind of rectangular or trapezoid shaped.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the dreaded scalp itch also. I just do my hair every weekend. At times I am lazy and wash the twists but I concentrate on the scalp. I exercise so I do get the itchies durring the week and I just rinse the my scalp. It does tangle a bit when I have to take them out but not a bunch. I am just careful when I take them down.
    "You Tied that thing up outside?" said Kepler. "What if he got hungry and ate a mailman or a kindergarten class or something? The least you could do is tie a decent knot." Metzger's Dog by Thomas Perry

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm not one of them. I wash my protective styles at least 2 times a week. That's why box braids and cornrows are good.
    [color=#660066][i]I believe your promise is too hard to give me courage.
    All with my feelings...
    the precious time seeing you.

I'm marching on...[/i]
    [b]TiA - Ryuusei (Shooting Star) - Naruto 6ED theme[/b][/color]

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n236/Only1biancab/keikoxmew2.jpg[/img]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me. Can't do it. Longest I've gone between shampoos is six days. My scalp just won't have it. Now, I know when were were little and Mama was taking care of our hair, the shampooing was bi-weekly. Dunno what was going on different (besides Blue Magic). I'm tempted to try greasing my scalp, but... I might ask Shulta about her sapote oil, see if that might help me get to two weeks, at least. Most recently, I did twists on wet/damp hair, wore those for three days, then a rinsed twist-out for three. By then my scalp was in full-on rebellion -- and this was after I preceded the shampoo with a scalp scrub. What gives?

Ketchup is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my scalp actually feels sore if i don't wash it often.
    anybody have this issue? can't wear protective styles due to need to wash hair?
    ....and, my hair will tangle for life i even think to leave it in a style for more than 2 weeks (i've done it and it wasn't pretty).
    [/b]

My scalp gets sore as well..especially the crown region..
    Lately I had some tiny twists put in..after 2weeks I ..Just ..Had To Wash My hair...

I didn't want to go through the process of taking down the twists..so I washed with the twists still in and then put the in perm-rods to dry..That gave a nice styling option plus the curls lasted for about 5 days...

I just took them out yesterday to re-do..and had to be really really gentle with my hair..plus castor oil+ Qhemets Olive cream leave-in detangler were a life-saver! (Just left them both in my hair for a few hours then procedeed to gently unravel..)

On the other hand box-braids would also be a great option...you can rinse/co-wash as many times as you want..and they'll still look good... It's just the process of putting them in and taking them out that puts me off..

I'm not one for protective styles..but these days..I just have to try and make them work..as time wouldn.t permit otherwise..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm right there with you. I tried (once again) to start the crown and glory challenge with box braids. I had them in for about a week, and I washed them about 2-3 times in that length of time. I personally prefer daily shampooing, but the longest I can go is about 4 days. My scalp itches and STINKS after that. Sometimes we just have to accept what we can and can't do. I took those braids out. It took a LONG time, but it was worth it. I get build-up under the root of my braids in just one week. I just let well enough ALONE!! Just like Yam's signature.
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with the OP. I do wear twists but only for a week, and then it's time to take them down and wash my scalp. I really don't understand how anyone can go longer than that without a good washing. I've only tried washing with my twists in once, and it wasn't pretty. My hair got all tangled when I finally tried to undo them.

I'm not knocking anyone who can go longer, but it just doesn't work for me. My scalp cries out for a good scrubbing if I wait too long.
    I don't need no Hollywood. ---- India Arie in "Little Things"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast