Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Ladies,

So I'm just surfing through the vast amount of homemade recipes here on NP and was wondering if there are any ladies who don't buy commercial products at all!! Is there anyone who makes ALL of their own products from scratch . If so what are you using, and how are you using it? (shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser etc.) I'd really luv to hear about it.

Dreamyb Guest

yes!

i've been thinking about this for a minute so thanks for starting this thread BlackPearls.

homemade shampoos made from castille soaps don't work for me at all. they leave a weird buildup so i'm wondering what folks use if they choose not to use that or black soap? due to my previous so-so experiences with the above mentioned ingredients i just went back to a store bought shampoo (currently avalon organics).

in regards to conditioners- i use apple cider vinegar infused with herbs or essential oils (sage, rosemary and lavender) after washing. that works pretty well in preparing my hair for a thorough detangling with my wide tooth detangling comb.

that's it.

now all i need is a nice shampoo recipe ^_^ .

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for replying Dreamyb, I was hoping someone would share the same interest. I have used ACV as well but as a mild shampoo. I find I have to let it sit for a little while sometimes before rinsing out. I've never tried it as a conditioner alone, I'll have to put that on my to-do list.

I definitely think the homemade route is simpler and cheaper.

C'mon ladies I know you're out there. Who else uses purely homemade products

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is a thread out there just like this where people have listed there routines mines is there all home made except for the dr bronner soap as poo look around the hair forum it should not be to far down the list

Dreamyb Guest

i searched for the thread that MOEtastic mentioned but i'm not sure if what i found is what she was referring to.

shoot, i'm determined to be free from the $$ products so i'm going to make another contribution. heh heh.

here's what i found in my search...

this was posted by Awura Afua

shampoo alternative

you can try Shikakai Powder (instead of shampoo) or mix it with amla for deep-conditioner. I soak the powder overnight before use and i haven't have problem rinsing it out. To soak the shikakai & Amla, I first boil some water and poor it over the powder.

Will shikakai powder clean hair well without stripping it?
    - It didn't strip my hair at all. I have used it a few times now.

What is the percentage of powder used & percentage of liquid used for both the shampoo alternative & deep conditioning treatments?

- I use about 25ml (if I am mixing the 2 ) or ca 40ml (if I am useing one product) . I don't think it mattes, if you mix too much. The left-over can be use in 2-4 days.
    - I use enough hot water to make a paste (consistency of yoghurt).

deep conditioner >> yesterday I soak amla and added 1 table sp of olive oil. This morning I deep-condition with it.

i believe this is a Shulta recipe...

Great for moisture - excellent for locs - apply when you do your twists as it will make a twist out look fluffy. Great for the night time plaiters & silk wrappers out there too ... like me

Coconut & Honey Spritz

Equal amounts of
    Coconut Water from the Coconut
    100% Aloe Vera Juice
    Teenie bit of Honey
    1 drop of Rosemary or Sage EO
    2 drops of Vanilla EO or EO of choice
    1 drop of Benzoin to lift the scent of the others and preserve it for a short while.

The only problem is that you must make it in small batches & keep it in the fridge & use it up within 2 weeks.

so there ya' go. i'm going to try that shampoo alternative whenever i find those ingredients. and the coconut spritz should be a welcome treat for the senses.

enjoy the simplicity of saving

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok here is what i do

dr bronner peppermint soap with rosemary EO as shampoo

coconut milk, aloe vera juice and jojoba oil for lit conditioning

coconut milk, aloe vera juice and a raw avocado for deep conditioning (no oil in this )

when you start homemade product you will put out some buying your first set of suppies. but after that you will not need so much .

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I make most of my own products.

Generally, I use with hazel for my scalp. One a week, because I go to a swimming pool, I was my locs with Dr. Bronners. But generally, I just use organic honey and lemon cleanser. Basically, mix one spoonful of honey in hot water and some lemon. Then, clean each loc.

I palm roll my locs with oil and essential oil. Sometimes I use almond oil, but if I don't have the money, I use olive oil because it's cheap. I am currently using rosemary as my essential oil.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about Baking soda and/or lemon juice for cleansing? I think this is what MotownGirl used to use...

Dreamyb Guest

...But generally, I just use organic honey and lemon cleanser. Basically, mix one spoonful of honey in hot water and some lemon. Then, clean each loc.

[/b]
    ah, that seems so simple! i'm wondering if this would be as effective on loose hair though?

@ Sykee

baking soda and/or lemon juice as a cleanser appears as if it would do a good job BUT i'm wondering whether the baking soda would eventually dry out the hair. plus, how do you use those ingredients to thoroughly wash the hair?

do you just rub the mix on the scalp and then work on the hair itself?

maybe i should check out motowngirl's site...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm hoping to get there. right now i use whipped shea butter for my mousterizer. i buy a conditioner. other than that i don't use anything besides acv for an acv rinse once every month. eventually i want to try to make my own conditioner.
    [color=#6633FF]was jessicakitty[/color]
    [color=#6600CC]transition started december 2005[/color]
    [color=#FF6666]BC march 2006[/color]
    [color=#CC33CC]natural five years and going![/color]
    [COLOR="Blue"]hair album: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v343/jesskitty/hair/[/COLOR]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast