Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More than apathy... it's hands-off malice. People have been knowing that this was going to happen for a while now. They are going to wait until most of the damage is being done, then they are going to intervene at the last minute so they can take Sudan's petroleum, gold, iron ore, and copper resources.

Aje
    My Flying and Aviation Blog
    - http://garyisairborne.blogspot.com/

Facebook
    - http://www.facebook.com/garybooker

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And why is it that folks in this country don't seem to give a crap about anything until celebrities jump on the bandwagon? I mean its great and all that George Clooney and his dad have brought attention to this and that other white celebrities have spoken on it as well, but why aren't any Black leaders speaking out on this?
    Of course, this is no excuse to do nothing but I think the majority of people don't think they can really do anything to stop what's happening.[/b]
    I know that is how I feel at times. I mean I sign petitions, I send out mass emails to raise awareness and so forth, but it makes me so sad about what is going on over there but I feel I can only do so much.
    ~The Secret to Life is to Live It! Think, Speak and Be who you are meant to be!~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't speak for anybody else, but I know for me this situation is confusing as hell. (But then it took me forever to comprehend the situation in Rwanda--so maybe I'm just slow). This is one of the reasons I bought a book about African history since the end of colonization. It really helped me clarify some things, but damn this one is hard as hell to get a grasp of.

I barely understand the problem, and haven't a clue as to the solution. I'm guessing that a lot of people feel the same way. Yes, I can and have signed petitions, but beyond that I'm not sure what on earth I can do.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about the situation in the Congo? The death toll far outweights whats happening in Sudan....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about the situation in the Congo? The death toll far outweights whats happening in Sudan....
    [/b]
    Start a thread about it, and post some information with links about it.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Ketchup is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Two Cents: A country in power only cares about a conflict of another smaller country if the solution of that conflict will positively affect the economy of the country in power.
    [/b]

Simply put...And it's such a damn shame..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't speak for anybody else, but I know for me this situation is confusing as hell. (But then it took me forever to comprehend the situation in Rwanda--so maybe I'm just slow). This is one of the reasons I bought a book about African history since the end of colonization. It really helped me clarify some things, but damn this one is hard as hell to get a grasp of.

I barely understand the problem, and haven't a clue as to the solution. I'm guessing that a lot of people feel the same way. Yes, I can and have signed petitions, but beyond that I'm not sure what on earth I can do.
    [/b]
    aside from buying the history book, ^^^this is pretty much my position at the moment. i read the internet timeline of events to get a better idea of how things have culminated to the present, and it's still rather confusing, as the infomation i've read seems a bit diluted.

my question is "besides signing petitions and posting articles on various sites for people to read, what else could be done to make a substantial difference here or abroad?" and do petitions (in general) really make change happen?
    I felt so bad, but so deliciously satisfied. --gigglezk

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes. -- unknown

I asked, "What is Kemi Oyl?" and she replied, "Kemi Oyl." Then I asked, "What is a Kemi?" She read the bottle, then said she didn't know. "Maybe a plant."
    --Drizzle

ashta is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The apathy isn't limited to the media. Just look at this thread, which has gotten maybe ten responses. Meanwhile, discussions about Beyonce frequently hit ten pages.

I think that Westerners in general have Africa fatigue. The overall attitutude is that Africa is overpopulated, full of corruption, poverty, famine, AIDS, machete-wielding fanatics. . .a hopeless mess of its own making. We don't really identify with Africans the way we do people of a white country.

My own response: I was sufficiently moved to sign up for savedarfur.org's email list a few months back, but that's as far as it went, I'm kind of ashamed to say. Thanks for this thread. I need to go sign some petitions or write a letter or whatever. I really believe that only a concentrated outcry from many millions of people worldwide will have any kind of counter-effect on the lethargy.
    [/b]

i actually agree. it's true we don't identify with africa so much but the reality is that there always seems to be something tragic like you said. it's hard to keep caring when there never seems to be an improvement. i remember watching the original liveaid concert as a young girl - and listening to the we are the world song. it seemed a worthy cause. if i had money then, i would have been happy to help.

but how do you continue to truely care at a level above normal concern when it always seems a continual downward spiral? this year i made a donation to a charitable cause - new orleans area habitat for humanity. my peeps are from there and i know it's going to help by building houses people will live in.

what good will it do to give to darfur? really - beyond aid to relief organizations who will feed and clothe people (which is important) but won't actually affect change.

i don't believe our government should disconnect from that region. i think our government should support (not install) democratically elected govts. i think we should provide program-related (as in we'll help you build water lines, wells, roads, infrastructure) for countries around sudan - chad, congo, ethiopia, car - to isolate sudan which is being helped by china.

i just think the situation is more complex than merely signing a letter or a petitition and it requires delicate diplomacy and stealthy moves.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

amy question is "besides signing petitions and posting articles on various sites for people to read, what else could be done to make a substantial difference here or abroad?" and do petitions (in general) really make change happen?[/b]
    Excellent question and I&#39;ve wondered the same. Obama was on Oprah back when he was promoting his Audcity of Hope book and he suggested calling our local politicians telling them to put more pressure on the United Nations to do more over there. I contacted my state representatives and of course, got the usual standard response like thank you, their stance on the issue and that they will follow up. <_< So not sure if it even mattered, but I wanted to do something besides the petitions. Other than that, I just continue to raise awareness in hopes that the word will get to someone influential who gives a crap and will try to get someone to listen

what good will it do to give to darfur? really - beyond aid to relief organizations who will feed and clothe people (which is important) but won&#39;t actually affect change. [/b]
    Well if everybody had that attitude nothing would ever change, anywhere. It does seem pretty hopeless when its such a huge problem and African as a continent, has continually been plauged with crisis after crisis, its like what can I possibly do?

Helping to feed and clothe people is pretty important (like you said) when you don&#39;t have food or clothes on your back. And whose to say those that are helped, that their lives won&#39;t be changed? A lot of kids have been orphaned and need help. I donate to a lot of charities and while I am only one person who can only give so much, I give what I can and hope that it is able to provide something for someone. I think that is all we really can hope for as just one person. But it starts with one person, there are people who are simply one person, who have made a difference in this world. Maybe someone will come out of the tragedy in Dafur and become a great leader. I guess we have to think on the smaller scale, cause obviously the situation won&#39;t change overnight because it didn&#39;t happn overnight. Similar to the One campaign, obviously it won&#39;t solve the Aids crisis overnight but something is being done and thats all we can hope for, we can&#39;t help ALL but helping SOME is still a good thing. Do continue to donate and support causes that are close to your heart but don&#39;t discount something because it isn&#39;t right here in the U.S. thinking nothing really can be done. We are the human race, not just Americans, so if we are able to do so, I would hope we would want to help people outside of the U.S. But of course, none of this is a requirement, cause people don&#39;t have to support anything if they don&#39;t want to. I am just speaking from my personal point of view. I&#39;m in social work and I really think about humanity on all levels, and how I can make a difference globally, not just whats close to home. :wub: I really do try to be the change I want to see in the world, as Ghandi said.

i don&#39;t believe our government should disconnect from that region. i think our government should support (not install) democratically elected govts. i think we should provide program-related (as in we&#39;ll help you build water lines, wells, roads, infrastructure) for countries around sudan - chad, congo, ethiopia, car - to isolate sudan which is being helped by china.[/b]
    I totally agree sis. If only we could get our government to stop spending BILLIONS on a pointless war and put that money to more good use, say EDUCATION, HEALTHCARE, SOCIAL SERVICE ENDEAVORS. That would be too much like right though cause helping folks wouldn&#39;t further their agendas. <_<

Here are websites with up to date info about whats happening in Darfur as well as ways to help, if interested:
    Darfur: A Genocide We Can Stop
    Save Darfur
    From BBC: Sudan accepts UN &#39;help&#39; in Darfur
    Ways to Help Africa
    Help with Suffering in Sudan
    From Oprah.com: Crisis in Darfur: Take Action
    ~The Secret to Life is to Live It! Think, Speak and Be who you are meant to be!~

sonce Guest

The apathy isn&#39;t limited to the media. Just look at this thread, which has gotten maybe ten responses. Meanwhile, discussions about Beyonce frequently hit ten pages.[/b]
    Yup.

I think that Westerners in general have Africa fatigue. The overall attitutude is that Africa is overpopulated, full of corruption, poverty, famine, AIDS, machete-wielding fanatics. . .a hopeless mess of its own making. We don&#39;t really identify with Africans the way we do people of a white country. [/b]
    "Africa Fatigue"--Did you coin that, Swingbolder? What a fantastic term and totally true explanation.

To be fair to Westerners, it is understandable that many are tired of Africa. I don&#39;t think that the average person understands the active role that Western governments and organizations like the World Bank are taking in keeping Africa&#39;s situation bleak. Corrupt African leaders are the ones who are held up in the media as being to blame for everything, and that reinforces the idea that Africa&#39;s situation is orchestrated solely by Africans against other Africans. Everyone has his own problems to deal with and it&#39;s easy to look away from other people&#39;s drama when the impression is that those people could singlehandedly save themselves if they tried but are just refusing to get their acts together. It&#39;s the same impression that makes it easy for White Americans to look away from the suffering of Black Americans in their own country. It&#39;s not an altogether untrue impression since both Africans and Black Americans have a hand in the continuing cycle of suffering ravaging our communities.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast