Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Has anyone here ever started their own group over at Meetup.com? I've been waiting (and hoping) that someone would start the group I'm looking for but no luck. So I'm tempted to do it myself now that things have settled down for me.

If you've started a group, please share your experience. How difficult was it? Is it a pain in the azz to organize and keep afloat? What days/times were good for your meetups? Any advice/warnings to give?

TIA.

tangytic is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was thinking about the same thing. Would love to see the responses as well.
    http://chicagoist.com/attachments/ch...5_11_obama.jpg[img]

The only Hope I have to help me deal with all this drama is, this year in November, I'll be cheering for OBAMA! - Mary J & Big Boi

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't. I'm signed up for the bellydance group, along with hundreds of others. So far, no one has stepped up to be an organizer. I don't feel qualified since I've only had a few lessons. It is getting ridiculous though.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far, no one has stepped up to be an organizer. I don't feel qualified since I've only had a few lessons. It is getting ridiculous though.[/b]
    That was the thing. 161 people signed up to be alerted for such a meetup (Los Angeles area backpackers group) but no one has done anything since I joined in October 2004. Though I have 5 backpacking trips under my belt, I didn't feel qualified to lead a group. My desire to get back to backpacking once a month pushed me into action. Going solo, I only go when it's summer. Plus I want to start doing longer trips and those are more fun with a group.

After posting this thread, I went ahead and took the plunge. It took about an hour to set up the group with the basics. It wasn't hard and they prompt you throughout the whole process. Found out there are fees to organize a group, but they aren't steep (I usually lose that much money in a month anyways). That's probably another reason why people don't want to step up as Organizer. I chose the 3-month option which was $15/month billed as one payment. We'll see what happens.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm planning to use this to start a hang gliding group in the near future.

Aje
    My Flying and Aviation Blog
    - http://garyisairborne.blogspot.com/

Facebook
    - http://www.facebook.com/garybooker

cmsheart is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm involved in like 10 groups :lol: but not as an organizer and to boot I really don't have time for them! I like the meetups that I have been able to attend and it is a lovely was to meet people with common interest. Therefore I wish you the best and know you will have fun with your new pals who share your interest.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already have 23 members and an Assistant Organizer! People have RSVP'd "yes" to meeting. We just need to finalize a location. I'm think I've found a place and will just made the executive decision if no one comes up with anything better by Tuesday.

I'm glad I went ahead and bit the bullet. I think this is going to work.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tangytic, I think you should go ahead and do your thing.

My group has gotten off to a great start. We had our first meeting on Monday. Met at a Starbucks downtown. Of the 7 that RVSP'd "yes", 6 attended. Even split between men and women. Nice, helpful, active people. We ended up planning a trip for next month. I'm so stoked! In addition to another meet-and-greet on the 22nd, where we're going to discuss/demonstrate/inventory our equipment, we've scheduled two conditioning hikes (with packs) in early March before we hit the trail in earnest. Several people need to get acclimated to the sport: the two other women haven't been backpacking in years and one of three guys is completely new to backpacking. If it were just me, my assistant organizer and the other guy, we'd be out there next weekend.

The difficulties I've run into thus far have to do with scheduling and location. People are BUSY and Los Angeles is HUGE!! So juggling times, places, etc. has been hard. I've decided to rotate meeting days and locations. We'll switch off on Tuesdays and Thursdays (possibly adding Wednesdays since classes are often held on a Tuesday/Thursday schedule), alternating between two Starbucks locations (one downtown and one in South Bay). Between those two, I think we've got L.A. county residents covered within reason.

I can't believe there are now 69 people signed up.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Sehkmet! It's great that it's going so well. I guess everybody was waiting for someone else to make the first move.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just signed up to be an organizer for a group called Carson Blackology. It is a group that is designed to raise the consciousness and celebrate black culture.

I would love to meet other people interested in talking about books, music, art, politics, relationships, images from the African American perspective. I scheduled the first meeting for March 17. So far no one has rsvp-ed, but then again I just signed up today :lol:
    Either way it's a great idea.
    AFTERSHOCK... what goes around, comes around. coming soon to a bookstore near you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast