ray is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I have a dog but would love to have a cat too but I am afraid that my dog would not like that. I have several friends who are single and have cats. And I have some who are married and the family pet is a cat.

They are a nice company. I know my dog is especially when I am bored. I think he knows this and comes beebopping along to get me to play with him. So I guess I will be the old dog lady but I don't care pets are fun.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps it's a shame that we live in such a narcissistic society that the only way some people can get a companion that isn't high-maintenance is to seek a companion out from another species. :lol:

Aje
    My Flying and Aviation Blog
    - http://garyisairborne.blogspot.com/

Facebook
    - http://www.facebook.com/garybooker

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just thinking this because I'm about to adopt a cat :lol: . I think alot of people believe that having a dog is a good way to meet men, b/c men are supposed to love dogs more than cats :rolleyes: . However, according comedic canine parts on tv shows and in movies, dogs scare men away. I don't know, but I think that most single women fear that people will stereotype them into being the sad, lonely woman that can't get a date or has no social life :dunno: . When I was younger, I had an elderly lady as a neighbor who had over ten cats! She was in her 70's-80's. I think she's one of the culprits for making female cat lovers a stereotype :lol: .

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow!

As someone who has a cat and I've had the same cat for, hmmmmm, 16 years now I think I'm well on my way to spinsterhood.

Actually, I take the single woman and cat thing as a gag.

It does come from somewhere though as others have mentioned.

I just don't think it applies to me, but maybe that lady with the messed up haircut and broaches thinks the same thing? :unsure:

I don't know. I love my cat. She's moved with me from L.A. to San Francisco and to three apartments in Korea. She was with me when my parents passed away. This cat has been a fixture in my life for a long time. She's been around longer than a lot of the humans I know and definitely more consistent (but I do realize that's because I feed her.) But, I have dated and been proposed to during those 16 years, so experience tells me the stereotype is, mostly, in good fun.

I'm also just used to cats. I had one when I was young simply because my parents didn't want to deal with a "shi&&y dog" (that's a quote I remember my mother saying about dogs.) I had my second cat literally fall into my lap. I was in a lecture in college. This cute cat came into the lecture hall, jumped on my lap and fell asleep. It was love. I'm actually thinking that my next pet will be a dog simply because it will force me out more on those days when I should get up, get out and take a walk. With my schedule I work non-stop during school, but during the breaks, unless I'm traveling, I'm a bump on a log unless I'm going out at night a lot. It's easy. With a cat, you can lounge, change the litterbox and not worry about whipping out the pooper scooper and taking the dog on a walk. With a cat, I can party until ridiculously late and I don't have to get up to walk anything.

I think it goes there when like Peaches described, on top of the cat, you're not just an introvert, you're a recluse. You're maybe socially awkward and creepy weird. The thing is, you can be all of that and STILL get married. However, I like going out and sometimes I like staying in. I stumbled into my apartment a bit too drunk a week or so ago after a night out. I left the cat at home while I went skiing last month for a week. I actually LIKE contemporary fashion and music.

Plus, I have a couple of girlfriends with cats who got married/engaged while in possession of said spinsterhood securing cat.

I don't take the stereotype personally because she's not me...yet :P

I'll check-in again in ten years.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bumpity bump meow!
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, Denny...thanks for the trip back into memory lane...

For those who don't already know, my cat passed last fall at the age of 16.5 years. He had a good long life and I still miss him.

That said, even though I dream about cats approximately once every other week, I won't be getting any more pets for the foreseeable future. The main reason is that I will be moving on from my current location in the next year or so and I want to be as flexible as possible (I'm actually looking at going overseas for work). But there's a second reason that I haven't admitted to anyone until now: I want my next live-in companion to help with the cooking and cleaning and the bills AND have vigorous sex with me on a regular basis. Once I get that, then I'll consider getting another pet.

This isn't to say that I buy into the single cat lady theory. I don't believe that my not having a pet will increase my chances at finding a man. (Especially since at some point, if I find that lifelong companion, I probably WILL want a cat or dog if he's open to it.) I'd just like to know what it's like to live with a man instead of a cat. I already know how some women will respond to that: TAKE THE CAT!!!
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well let's see:-

Live in cat requires food, drink, house training, needs petting and is either housebound or needs to be let out now and again BUT cannot answer back. Sharing property has no legal ramifications since the cat believes he/she is Ruler of all they survey.

Live in Man requires food, drink, house training, needs petting and is either housebound or needs to be let out now and again BUT does answer back. Sharing propery has legal ramifications and in some cases an expensive lawyer.

mmmmm its a hard decision
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    In the interest of time, I'm just going to bullet my problems with this stereotype:
    - Would it make a difference if a single woman had a dog?
    - Does a single woman have to get rid of her cat before she can get married...hell, before she can even get a man?
    - Does her having a cat mean she can't be in intimate relationships with humans? If so, then the first point comes into play again: would it make a difference if she were a single woman with a dog?
    - What if she just likes animals? Why does having a cat have to equate to having some character flaw?

What are your experiences with / opinions on this?
    Welp, since I'm REALLY sick of being single right now, I'm planning on my next pet being a dog (actually, I'm going to apply to get a service dog for my diabetes, but either way, the next furry friend in my life will be a canine.) However, in the interest of full disclosure, when my dear, dear cat was in her senior years, I'd decided that I'd never be able to replace her, so why try? I'd just get a dog instead.

Does it make a difference? Probably not, but I'm really getting twitchy about how long I've been single and am turning a lens on me. It can't be the men considering how many I've gone through. However, maybe there are some personality traits I've got that has made it hard for me to settle and hard for a guy to settle with me. (Working on it.)

However, of course, you don't have to get rid of the cat. I have friends that got married being cat owners. In fact, a few of them had more than one cat! <Gasp!!!>

I think it's more about a certain type of personality traits. However, those traits exists with or without a cat. I can't really articulate what those traits might be though.

What's interesting though is if a guy has cats, oh, it's just endearing and cute. If we have cats we're doomed to be old maids.

It's a load of bull poo-poo. I just think there might be some personality traits that are common with certain sorts of cat owners.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend of a friend had cat for a few years and met a man who didn't like her cat.

You'd think she would either try to work it out with the man and try to retain the cat. If it came down between the man or the can, she would then seek suitable accommodations for the cat. No, she didn't do that. She didn't even take the cat to a shelter.

Instead, she took the cat to a vet to be put down. No, the cat wasn't ailing or very old. She just thought it would be quick and easier to have the cat killed. The vet killed the cat.

After a month or so, the man left her. No man and no cat.

I'd like to slap that stupid, evil, selfish woman so it is a good thing that I don't know her personally.

I'm an animal person who prefers dogs but I've had cats (who were turned into dogs). Any man who lives with me will have to like animals too. Even my niece, who is allergic to pet fur, hinted about me getting rid of my dogs or containing them when she stayed with me. I suggested she see a doctor or find another place to be.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    A friend of a friend had cat for a few years and met a man who didn't like her cat.

You'd think she would either try to work it out with the man and try to retain the cat. If it came down between the man or the can, she would then seek suitable accommodations for the cat. No, she didn't do that. She didn't even take the cat to a shelter.

Instead, she took the cat to a vet to be put down. No, the cat wasn't ailing or very old. She just thought it would be quick and easier to have the cat killed. The vet killed the cat.

After a month or so, the man left her. No man and no cat.

I'd like to slap that stupid, evil, selfish woman so it is a good thing that I don't know her personally.

I'm an animal person who prefers dogs but I've had cats (who were turned into dogs). Any man who lives with me will have to like animals too. Even my niece, who is allergic to pet fur, hinted about me getting rid of my dogs or containing them when she stayed with me. I suggested she see a doctor or find another place to be.
    Wow! That's a total dumb heffa moment. I feel fir the poor cat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast