Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

[b]im a newbie and i started comb coils in dec 26 2006 and then they came out and i started the followin week with regular twisting wit the hair and i was wondering ..how long will it be till i get out of the "ugly stage"? I washed my hair but not really washed it jus let the water run through it to get the beeswax out... and now im using gel to retwist my hair and that helps it to stay.. so my next question is how often should i wash it and retwist it? and are there other ways i can get miii hair to grow faster?.. thankz

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome! It really depends on the texture of your hair....some people start the teenage stage of locs at about 3 months, some don't start until around 6. Most people can expect locs to mature around the 1 year mark, but for others, it takes a little longer. The softer/looser your hair texture, the longer it'll take to loc up.

How often you wash and retwist is really up to you...when I started my first set of locs, after the first month, I washed and retwisted every 2 weeks.

I don't think there's really any way to get your hair to grow faster. HTH
    Last chemical fire cream: 10-08-05
    BC: 04-26-06

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey the ugly stage is just a mind set! :P No, but I do understand that the locs have a mind of there own in the beginning. The washing and twisting totally depends on your hair. My hair was about a 1/2 inch when I started, so I didn't wash mine often becasue I was afraid of washing then out. I only twisted once every month and a half b/c my hair grows slow (a curse and a blessing ). But what I have read here is that you shouldn't be afraid to wash and unraveling is to be expected. If your hair grows fast twist away, but if not i would wait awhile.
    Nappy journey

Shoot for the moon...even if you miss you will be among stars!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't forget to check the pinned topics at the top of the forum, particularly the "must-read for all lockers" thread.

welcome to np
    http://public.fotki.com/londylocks --updated August 2010
    pw: strange fruit

follow me twitter: http://twitter.com/londyjamel
    check out my music: http://music.jdgreensoul.com

msjaim2 Guest

WELCOME SIS,
    ALL JOKES ASIDE, ONCE THAT NEGATIVE PERCEPTION OF THE UGLY STAGE IS NO LONGER PRESENT, EVERYTHING ELSE WILL FLOW NATURALLY & EFFORTLESSLY.
    SERIOUSLY...AND ALSO, TRY NOT TO THINK TOO OFTEN ABOUT HOW NEAT UR LOCS MAY NOT APPEAR- THE FUZZIES AND FRIZZIES ARE PRETTY MUCH UNAVOIDABLE...IM SURE UR HAIR IS FINE

I WASH MY LOCS ONCE A WEEK (RINSING THEM MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK IN BETWEEN). I RINSED MY LOCS 1 WEEK EXACTLY AFTER MY INITIAL TWISTING. YEAH SOME CAME LOOSE, BUT I "GENTLY" COAXED THEM BACK INTO PLACE.

AS FAR AS LOCS MAKING UR HAIR GROW FASRTER, THERE REALLY IS NOTHING THAT WILL HELP UR HAIR ITSELF GROW FASTER. U CAN USE/ DO THINGS THAT MAY MAKE AN OPTIMAL ENVIRONMENT FOR HEALTHY HAIR GROWTH, BUT ULTIMATELY HAIR GROWTH IS BASED ON GENETICS & WHAT FOOD U PUT IN UR BODY.

AND AS THE SISTER ABOVE STATED, THE PINNED THREADS @ THE TOP HAVE SO MUCH INFORMATION THE SISTERS ON THIS BOARD HAVE CONTRIBUTED FOR ALL OF OUR USE.
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU!.. LIKE I SAID, IM SURE U'LL BE JUST FINE

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You make your locks, it does not have to be an ugly stage. Make them the best looking newbie locks people have ever seen.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there really is no "ugly stage" of hair if you're taking care of it the way you're supposed to.
    I just want you to recognize me in the temple, you can't hurt me I found peace within myself--Michael Jackson (RIP)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im a newbie and i started comb coils in dec 26 2006 and then they came out and i started the followin week with regular twisting wit the hair and i was wondering ..how long will it be till i get out of the "ugly stage"? I washed my hair but not really washed it jus let the water run through it to get the beeswax out... and now im using gel to retwist my hair and that helps it to stay.. so my next question is how often should i wash it and retwist it? and are there other ways i can get miii hair to grow faster?.. thankz
    Growth varies to person to person but I can tell you this beeswax is a no no try aloe vera gel or a natural alternative! Wash it when it is dirty! Let them be! Tie them up in a silk scarf and they should be fine. They will do what they do. As far as making them grow faster have patience they will grow believe me they will. Less manipulation the better. In this case less is more!!!!!! Ugly stage is a mind set loose it you hair is in its baby stage would you call your newborn ugly? lol! Just let nature do its thing!
    TO BE LOCKED IS TO BE FREE!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Relax and enjoy the journey...follow your instincts!
    "BASIC BLACK" = Elegant*Sophisticated*Stylish*

[url="http://public.fotki.com/basicblack/"]http://public.fotki.com/basicblack/[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one thing in your post that got my attention was that you said you washed your hair with only water to get the beeswax out. Beeswax will not come out with just water. I am not a fan, nor have I ever been one of beeswax. This is just my opinion based on my hair type. It would be like coating my hair with melted candlewax. You should always keep your hair clean (find a good translucent clarifying shampoo.)

Your hair will grow when it grows. I don't think there is anything that will make hair grow faster to include not washing it. I always question "Dirty hair grows faster." Keep hair clean, don't load it with a bunch of unnecessary crap and you will have healthy hair.

Experiencing the "Ugly Stage" will help you grow in confidence and redifine what is "ugly." Changing your mindset will be the "growing" stage in your journey early on. You'll be find and remember, we are here to get you through it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast