Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason I went natural: I got tired of fighting my hair every month and BPSing (Between Perm Syndrome) just cause my roots came in. My fiance recently said that it really was a self-esteem roller coaster ride. My bias against perming, that I think it inhumane to subject ourselves and our children to the process and it's implications, does not extend to straightening (for adults). Although I haven't put heat to it yet, (because a wrap is pointless for me unless my hair is shoulder length again, which is why it was very easy for me to stay natural after the big shop)... Anyway... Although I haven't put heat to it yet, I play with my texture all the time, going from afro to coils and curls. (I love the shine a nice twist can unviel.) So why wouldn't I straighten my hair every now and then. That's the fun of being natural. With a perm I can only wear my hair straight but natural I can switch it up however I please. Still, some people rely on the hot iron too much. Don't straighten your hair everytime it's a special occassion. We're black. We have to learn a way of interpreting standards of class or conservatism or elegance into something attainable by nappy hair. And don't tell me I can't wear my hair out for a special occassion. If white people can wear their hair out, than so can I. I shouldn't have to tame: braid, straighten or lock my natural hair. Still, I let go of my bias against perming brothers and sisters. I don't assume that their self-esteem was as tied up to it as mine was anymore. I think us black women are beautiful. I think my pre and post perm beauty is equal. And I think a sign of freedom is not that all blk women are natural, but that we accept ourselves and one another in all our shapes, colors and textures. You don't see white people dissing other whites cause they have a curly perm, or got a tan, or got a lip injection. We have a habit of thinking that if someone doesn't like straight hair for themselves, than they must think natural hair (us) is inferior. So it's like an insult. We shouldn't feel insulted by people with straight hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may get quite a few responses to this.

I am not sure you realize it or not, but review the mission statement for this site. We do not and will not support the altering of natural hair.

The goal here is to support women of color who are ready to take the journey and all it entails of being natural and dealing with natural hair unaltered. We would love to assist you with that goal if that is what you wish to obtain. But this site is specific in its guidelines and how it can be of assistance. This is also the main reason it was created and the vision of it's creator.

I realize you have your opinions and are more than welcome to them, but this is a site that only talks about and supports the maintenance of natural hair care. I don't believe anyone here feels or should feel superior or inferior to anyone who changes the texture of their hair. I know at least, that is not the goal of this site.

You may want to visit other sites that do support your views about using tools to alter the hair texture. That is the beauty of the internet there are sites or others who do agree with your views and will support you in your cause and goals for your hair. This site is not one of them and that is fine, would you not agree?

I truly don't mean for this to come across as aggressive or combative that is not my desire.

Hopes this helps.
    Thickalicious!!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said mscocoface.

Heck of a first post OP <_<

I&#39;m leaving it here so you can see the response. Don&#39;t start any like minded threads please. NP doesn&#39;t debate the merits of straightening, and the "freedom" it gives.

Closed.

resistance to the nap is futile
    ...not everyone is prepared to experience the entire journey to get to the finish line, some run the diameter and some run the circumference ...
    -Deecoily
    If you see me, a Black woman with nappy hair, and assume I'm afrocentric...you're right. ~Mod W