dahabu is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone been following this series on CNN? Paula Zahn is doing an excellent job discussing black issues with various perspectives. What do you think?
    They were just talking about Hiphop: Art or Poison.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I MISSED THAT!!?>?!?! there better be reruns.
    current stats: locked, shoulder length; started from loose napps past shoulders
    Dec 26 2004: last re.laxer

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't even know about this. Thanks for the heads-up and yes, hopefully there'll be reruns.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/paula.zahn.now/

She has been doing it for a couple of weeks now everyday. Some topics were

- 'Skin-Deep: Racism in America'
    Is racism still prevalent in America? Do we have biases that might be hidden even to ourselves? Take the following test from Harvard University to see what tendencies you might have when it comes to judging people by the color of their skin.

- Sundown Towns
    In his new book, Jim Loewen explores a period of American history when many towns and cities didn't welcome African-Americans after dark. The following excerpt is taking from this book, "Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism."

Today's Show: The inner-city's "mean streets," where murder is a cold fact of life. What's behind all the bloodshed? We're bringing it "Out in the Open." Tune in tonight at 8 ET.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah she's been hitting race a lot. Which I like, because it needs to be talked about. However, I wish that she would get better people on there. I love MED ... but sometimes he is SOOOOO inflammatory. For example, he was talking about the homosocial/homosexual content of hip hop culture, and he said something to the effect of, "Look at 50 Cent ... with his shirt off, all oiled up, with his pants hanging down to show the crack of his bootius maximus for easy acess." While I agree with the general content of the comment ... I was like was the bootius maximus part necessary?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone been following this series on CNN? Paula Zahn is doing an excellent job discussing black issues with various perspectives. What do you think?

[/b]

I like the series and I'm liking Paula right now. She handles her interviews and her panels very well.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am disappointed not more people have been folowing her series because they have been really good and she is a great moderator. The fact that she actualy had Yung Joc speaking so eloquently in defense of hiphop made me smile.

She also had the discussion in this town in Texas that used to be a Sundown Town and now have like 1 black person living there now yet they claim their town is not racists. After having several members of the black community in the next town state stories about how they were threatened and told to keep moving when they stopped in diners and this is within the last months, the townspeople had nothing to say. As usual Al Sharpton layed it down and they had several white people say yes they know many town that were that way and many whites were just in denial. A pastor from the racist town mentioned a ministry of reconcilliation with black churches from the next town over to clear up the reputation of their region. It was really interesting.

I was surprised Sundown towns sort of still exist...sort of.

britni is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I've caught a few episodes. "Hip Hop: Art or Poison" was the last one I saw and I liked it.
    happily nappy since 10/12/2006; BC#2 06/19/2008
    I SUPPORT BARACK
    South Carolina! Let's meetup!
    Let's Talk About Writing...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like Paula Zahn, she's a good reporter. I hadn't heard about this, went to the website to check it out. Why do they use that stupid Harvard IAT Test to attempt to tell whether people are racist or not? I had an assignment this week in my multiculturalism class and our assignment was to go to that page and take two of those tests, one had to be about homosexuality/heterosexuality. If you ever take one of those tests, tell me do you think they are as stupid as I do. Its all based on how fast you can hit the E or I button under certain words and pictures, allegedly "proving" if you responde faster to one or the other, you have a preference for one over the other. Ive taken many a psychology class and I do like some psychological tests, some I think are pretty valid in assessing certain behaviors, thought patterns, etc. But this one just seems highly inaccurate to me, but they do address problems with the test themselves in their FAQ section.

Anyway, will check out her series.

bootius maximus [/b]
    :lol: That was cute. Its gluteus maximus sis. BTW, who is MED? You mentioned he was inflammatory. Ive never heard of him.
    ~The Secret to Life is to Live It! Think, Speak and Be who you are meant to be!~

mahsoul1 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^I dont like the test either. We had to take it for my medical ethics class.
    "I am what time, circumstance, history, have made of me, certainly, but I am also, much more than that. So are we all"
    ~James A. Baldwin