Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How badly do you cheat?

I know there are several diets (Body For Life, specifically) that recommend taking one day as a cheat day to eat whatever you like in order to keep cravings during the week at bay. While I'm not on any specific plan I do allow myself one day a week to cheat if I so choose.

This week I chose last night. I decided I wanted to go out to eat and was nowhere near my minimum calories for the day. Plus I'd done two strenuous 45 minutes workouts (2 rounds of shoveling my driveway). So I went to Fridays and ordered a turkey burger on whole wheat and soup. That wasn't the problem. The problem came later on when I went to the movies and also ate a bag of nachos and cheese, then went back to Fridays for the Brownie Obsession I was originally craving. When I put all that food into the food tracker I was blown! I knew I went over for the day but I didn't realize just how bad it was. Before the movie snack and brownie dessert I was at about 1600 calories which is in my range (1440 - 1820). After the nachos and cheese and the Brownie obsession my calories for the day ballooned to over 3293.

Now I knew going into the evening that I wanted to cheat, but clawdhammercy!! I obliterated the concept of cheating. I'm going to put it behind me and focus on eating right and getting my exercise in today. However, I'm wondering if going over so badly is going to do major damage to my overall progress. I've gotta ask those of you who swear by cheat days, how much do you cheat? And do you find that it puts you a few steps back from where you would've been without it?

creation is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How badly do you cheat?

I know there are several diets (Body For Life, specifically) that recommend taking one day as a cheat day to eat whatever you like in order to keep cravings during the week at bay. While I'm not on any specific plan I do allow myself one day a week to cheat if I so choose.

This week I chose last night. I decided I wanted to go out to eat and was nowhere near my minimum calories for the day. Plus I'd done two strenuous 45 minutes workouts (2 rounds of shoveling my driveway). So I went to Fridays and ordered a turkey burger on whole wheat and soup. That wasn't the problem. The problem came later on when I went to the movies and also ate a bag of nachos and cheese, then went back to Fridays for the Brownie Obsession I was originally craving. When I put all that food into the food tracker I was blown! I knew I went over for the day but I didn't realize just how bad it was. Before the movie snack and brownie dessert I was at about 1600 calories which is in my range (1440 - 1820). After the nachos and cheese and the Brownie obsession my calories for the day ballooned to over 3293.

Now I knew going into the evening that I wanted to cheat, but clawdhammercy!! I obliterated the concept of cheating. I'm going to put it behind me and focus on eating right and getting my exercise in today. However, I'm wondering if going over so badly is going to do major damage to my overall progress. I've gotta ask those of you who swear by cheat days, how much do you cheat? And do you find that it puts you a few steps back from where you would've been without it?
    [/b]

No, girl you'll be fine. When I cheat I really cheat. :lol: I usually eat whatever I'm craving and let my mind relax from all the mental stresses of dieting.

Now if you find that cheating leads to you having a lose of control and you end up cheating two or three times a week then cheating might not be a good thing for you. I find that for cheat days I buy the "no,no...food :lol: " only on my cheat day. And I don't allow big boxes of sweets lying around because that's when you get in trouble. And it work out find for me. It helps keep my cravings at bay and I am able to regain my focus. Enjoy yourself!!!

And having one day of a larger amount of calories is actually good for you because it tricks your body into thinking that it's not dieting. I sure was happy when I heard that new. :lol:

HTH

Congrats to you for your new journey!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gotta admit, that when I cheat...I cheat. I have something that I normally would never eat. But, I try not to do complete cheat days, more like a cheat meal. Note: I said I try not to have a full day of cheating, but sometimes a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do :lol: . If I get too strict, I find myself craving like crazy, and eventually bingeing and really setting myself back.
    www.public.fotki.com/mrssmif (copy & paste)
    *updated Spring 2010*

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, girl you'll be fine. When I cheat I really cheat. :lol: I usually eat whatever I'm craving and let my mind relax from all the mental stresses of dieting.

Now if you find that cheating leads to you having a lose of control and you end up cheating two or three times a week then cheating might not be a good thing for you. I find that for cheat days I buy the "no,no...food :lol: " only on my cheat day. And I don't allow big boxes of sweets lying around because that's when you get in trouble. And it work out find for me. It helps keep my cravings at bay and I am able to regain my focus. Enjoy yourself!!!

And having one day of a larger amount of calories is actually good for you because it tricks your body into thinking that it's not dieting. I sure was happy when I heard that new. :lol:

HTH

Congrats to you for your new journey!
    [/b]
    I didn't know that tidbit of information. Do you have any more info on how that works. I know that when your body thinks you're dieting it tends to hold on to calories. So one day of extra calories tricks your body into releasing those calories? Is that how it works? Good lookin out for the info!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheat days turn into weeks, months and years, :lol: so I lack the discipline to dedicate a whole day to cheating....what I've learned is how to take a sip of soda or one chicken nugget instead of all 6 or 10 :unsure: just to get that "taste" of something sinful without going overboard. At night when my grazing is sure to occur I make sure I have plenty of ice cold water at hand in my fridge in my room and I don't keep anything in there but water and I don't go downstairs per chance there is something in the main fridge that could tempt me....plus water gives me that "full" feeling w/o wrecking my plan.
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gotta admit, that when I cheat...I cheat. I have something that I normally would never eat. But, I try not to do complete cheat days, more like a cheat meal. Note: I said I try not to have a full day of cheating, but sometimes a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do :lol: . If I get too strict, I find myself craving like crazy, and eventually bingeing and really setting myself back.
    [/b]
    I did very well the entire day. It was around 10 p.m. that the cheating happened. I went out to eat and had a very sensible meal. I had wanted a dessert after dinner but I wasn't really hungry for more so I skipped it. Got to the movie theater, smelled the concession stand and it was OVER!!!

msdeevan is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How badly do you cheat?

[/b]
    Hey girl, u know I've been looking for what to do to lose my extra poundage for a good minute. I've finally decided what to do (lo-carb) so I've been on their sites like a fiend all weekend doing research and reading. I can relate totally to what you are saying but I tend to agree with sis that said one cheat is Ok and in some cases can trick your body into losing more weight the next day or so cause it realizes that "ok, she isn't gonna starve us", but I think u have to really know your personality and how u are.

I have realized that if I say ok Friday night I'm gonna enjoy myself and have a big cheeseburger and my fave rum & diet coke that sets me up to just blow the whole weekend, so when I start AGAIN, yet again on MONDAY I'm going to really go as long as I can w/o any cheating cause like I said that sets me up for a couple of days of just craziness, not serious binging like whole cakes and stuff but pretty much like what u did, even though sweets is not my thing I love the cocktails and the fried shrimp and the lobster and baked potatoes .

OK, so to answer u , NO I don't think one night of enjoying yourself will kill u just as u said get back on the wagon today and try to exercise and I don't think it will make a difference u may even see a bigger loss next week. I have learned too that if u up the water that will help to flush it through also and if u don't mind (don't object to) maybe a cup or 2 of senna tea to get that brownie thru your system :P . One leader that I had at WW one time said that don't quote her but she lost her weight allowing her self one cheat day every weekend. I know at this point though that I can't do it until I make some real progress and then I'll see.

creation is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know that tidbit of information. Do you have any more info on how that works. I know that when your body thinks you're dieting it tends to hold on to calories. So one day of extra calories tricks your body into releasing those calories? Is that how it works? Good lookin out for the info!
    [/b]

No problem sis. We gotta encourage each other on this journey. Here is brief article that kinda touches on scheduled cheats. Under the benefits of cheating that is where they talk about the refueling of glycogen stores. But I will post some of the info here as well.

A cheat meal or day, since it often means an excess of calories and carbohydrates taken in, will serve to replenish some of these stores, which will help give you more energy and train harder at your next workouts.

Along with decreased muscle glycogen that goes with dieting, there is also a slowing of the metabolism effect. The body senses starvation and tries to lower the amount of energy it needs to continue to function on a daily basis.

This means you will be burning less calories just sitting there than if you hadn't been dieting, which makes weight loss even harder.

When you shock your system with a high influx of calories at one time, the body's metabolism will show an increase and you'll kick start your 'furnace' into high gear once again.

This will help you body to get less accustomed to running on a lower caloric level and make getting lean easier.

Cheating article

Please keep us updated and keep up the good work sis. Give yourself a big pat on the back from your sister Creation! :lol:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a "cheat" week, and only put back on 1 lb and a half so, I doubt a cheat day will do any damage.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, I am on a program similar to Body for Life, with an online physical trainer and I usually limit my cheat days to every 10 days or so.

Well, I had gone for 12 days and I was out with the BF and I said, I needed something.

So, I usually wait until later in the day so I have a cheat meal and maybe a cheat snack so I won't go too overboard.

I ate a Cheeseburger Pita w/ fries from Bennigans and then went to the store and ate almost a whole bag of goldfish crackers and a bag of popcorn. Then the BF made coffee that night.

The next morning, I have no desire to keep up my cheating, so I am usually good for at least another week.
    Last Re!axer -March, 2004
    Big Chop on September 23, 2004
    Sisterlocks installed July 21, 2007
    Dstdiva Sisterlocks Blog
    http://images.meez.com/user04/06/04/...0006161085.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast