Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's wrong with the rough stages?? it's not something you have to endure..baby fuzzy locs aren't bad. if someone wants to use faux locs, that's their business. but it's my opinion only here that you miss out on something.
    locs:12/12/02-9/9/2006, reborn 9/20/07

blog:aquababie's world
    1st locs
    2nd locs

Aquababie Handmade....Crafted from my hands to yours!
    aqua on etsy

NP Approval code 775

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by aquababie19@Feb 21 2004, 06:38 PM
    what's wrong with the rough stages?? it's not something you have to endure..baby fuzzy locs aren't bad. if someone wants to use faux locs, that's their business. but it's my opinion only here that you miss out on something.
    I didn't make a value judgement on the "rough stage." Some people want to go through it, some don't. For those who prefer not to, they have options like those shown in Essence. People can have the same or a similar hairstyle, but that doesn't mean it has the same meaning or significance to them. For you or someone else on this thread, locks might signify some spiritual transformation or have metaphysical importance. For someone else, who just might choose to start locks with fake hair, they might want to see how they look with locks before committing to the style, or they might like the way locks look and have alopecia on a part of their scalp that cannot readily grow hair and therefore they seek such an option ... who knows for sure?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by expecting@Feb 21 2004, 01:51 PM
    I didn't make a value judgement on the "rough stage." Some people want to go through it, some don't. For those who prefer not to, they have options like those shown in Essence. People can have the same or a similar hairstyle, but that doesn't mean it has the same meaning or significance to them. For you or someone else on this thread, locks might signify some spiritual transformation or have metaphysical importance. For someone else, who just might choose to start locks with fake hair, they might want to see how they look with locks before committing to the style, or they might like the way locks look and have alopecia on a part of their scalp that cannot readily grow hair and therefore they seek such an option ... who knows for sure?
    If they like locs so much they should research them to make sure it is for them BEFORE embarking on this journey. Locs are like braids, or weave. You don't wear them because you are trying to look cute for prom or an evening out. It is a lifestyle.

And the advertising of faux locs is harmful to folks doing the real thing. As if we don't have to already deal with folks saying ish about our hair, now we have to authenicate them to ppl (really we don't but trying to prove a point :razz)

Having locs, IMO, is about throwing away society's idea of beauty and finding your own. I have heard of women STILL getting real locs with bald areas or alopecia. If they are brave enough to do this why can't others. Cop out, plain and simple.

Peace and Napptural hair grease :rainfro
    Patrina
    Starting Loc journey again. . . and boy is it fun!

[img]http://www.roshini.net/images/avatars/3dflagsdotcom_guyan_2faws.gif[/img]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Expecting. Also, we can't let this be another issue that shows division among our people. I give Essence credit for making other aware of our natural state. Perhaps we should write them not to criticize but to enlighten them that their is a "movement" of women who honor their hair and would like the "nappturals" to be acknowledged.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Patrina@Feb 21 2004, 07:00 PM
    It is a lifestyle.

Having locs, IMO, is about throwing away society's idea of beauty and finding your own.
    These are your opinions. Everyone with locks - or natural hair for that matter - does not share them. The last time I checked, people with locks or naturals did not think monolithically, just like anyone else.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coco,

I agree for the most part. I mean, it is not the role of Essence to make all African-American women wear natural hair. Essence focuses on different aspects of beauty in each issue. I think last month, the focus was largely on short relaxed hair. It was something else (maybe long relaxed hair), I'm sure, the month prior. Essence has shown real locks before. Real twists. Real coils. The continuum of natural hair care is pretty loosely defined to many, and weaving and braiding to give the appearance of a natural style is something that both many natural stylists and traditional stylists make money off of.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ChocolatChaud+Feb 21 2004, 02:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ChocolatChaud @ Feb 21 2004, 02:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-expecting@Feb 21 2004, 09:22 AM
    It&#39;s not that serious for many people. It was presented as an option, not an absolute, and the article states that.
    Well it would have been nice to see an article on how to grow/start real locks... As opposed to just providing the "fast food option" of how to do it.[/b][/quote]
    ITA. Magazines like Essence are often used as a yardstick by many to judge the standards of AA/black beauty, and when an article features on faux, fake or whatever locs without any mention of the natural way....it MATTERS.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by paulicia@Feb 21 2004, 12:51 AM
    BTW, does anyone know of any hair magazines specifically for locs and natural hair? I&#39;m sick of seeing hair mags that cater to the relaxed and weaved. WE want some hair care tips. WE want to see different style examples too. WE want to see articles on loc&#39;ed celebrities and THEIR faces and naturals gracing the cover. Can&#39;t a napptural get some love in the publishing world?
    Check out this thread Paulicia...

http://www.nappturality.com/modules/ipboar...showtopic=21946

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(box .. this article was and is a slap in the face to many. I read the article and looked at the pictures. There are many who have been locing for years. Some have gone through struggles, and to see pictures of the quick fix locing method of sewn in hair. What is wrong with those of us who have natural locs, we would like to see them instead of the pre-weave in locs that many are now running to get.... :smug

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by kenyalikimmie@Feb 21 2004, 06:08 PM
    (box .. this article was and is a slap in the face to many. I read the article and looked at the pictures. There are many who have been locing for years. Some have gone through struggles, and to see pictures of the quick fix locing method of sewn in hair. What is wrong with those of us who have natural locs, we would like to see them instead of the pre-weave in locs that many are now running to get.... :smug
    ITA,

We hear your hair is a not acceptable put a chemical in it.
    If you are locking your hair, your hair is not good enough add some extensions. ops: This, in my opinion, supports the belief that we cannot grow long hair without the use of extensions.

I stopped buying Essence several years ago. I wanted to see more natural hairstyles.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast