Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, the article was in the beauty section called "Strands". It is titled "The Start of Something Beautiful". It is on pg. 56 and the writer is Julia Chance.
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/paulicia"]http://public.fotki.com/paulicia[/url]

[url="http://www.myspace.com/pauliciag"]http://www.myspace.com/pauliciag[/url]

[b]"People might not get all they work for in this world, but they must certainly work for all they get."
    - Frederick Douglass[/b]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was excited when I first read they had a section on natural hair, and was disgusted when I read it and saw it was all fake locks.. I rolled my eyes and threw the magazine across the couch.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this too. I was so impressed initially because the styles are gorgeous. Then I read the title like "Faux real"? Doesn't 'faux' mean fake? I was thinking to myself it is so odd that they would have an article about locs and every last one (except the 1.2" inch one) is FAKE? As though there is a shortage of real loc wearers? I don't get it.

They may as well have gotten real loc wearing ladies and just had a paragraph explaining how you CAN get fake ones done, but why advocate this as though this is the optimal way to get them done.

Seriously, read that article as though you don't have a clue about locks and you will think that the fake way makes all the sense in the world.

I am disgusted. I am going to write to them in the most articulate way I can, and pray that one of us gets published.

Mocha

ChocolatChaud Guest

Originally posted by paulicia@Feb 20 2004, 07:51 PM
    I mentioned this in another thread and now I see that I am not the only one seriously annoyed w/ the article. Isu is so on point- these are HUMAN HAIR extensions. There is some poor bald woman in a third world country who had to sell her crowning glory for money, and here they are advising someone to let that stuff mat up w/ their own hair. I guess for the people who see locs as just a fad, this suits them just fine because they can always remove or cut off the extension part and start over w/ no regrets. For me, cutting my locs would be an amputation.

BTW, does anyone know of any hair magazines specifically for locs and natural hair? I'm sick of seeing hair mags that cater to the relaxed and weaved. WE want some hair care tips. WE want to see different style examples too. WE want to see articles on loc'ed celebrities and THEIR faces and naturals gracing the cover. Can't a napptural get some love in the publishing world?
    Okay letting some random person's hair lock up with mine....ewwww What an eerie thought! Hair holds energy, especially locks. So what kind of energy are you starting with when you begin your locks with someone else's amputated crown??? :-? That's just bizarre to me. Everyone wants instant gratification these days. Instant everything: wealth, weight loss, locks... No one has patience anymore. Why go through all the lock stages when you can just slap on a lock weave for 80 bucks??? :rolling :smug Well imposters eventually get found out so no worries...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not that serious for many people. It was presented as an option, not an absolute, and the article states that.

ChocolatChaud Guest

Originally posted by expecting@Feb 21 2004, 09:22 AM
    It's not that serious for many people. It was presented as an option, not an absolute, and the article states that.
    Well it would have been nice to see an article on how to grow/start real locks... As opposed to just providing the "fast food option" of how to do it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ChocolatChaud@Feb 21 2004, 09:33 AM

Well it would have been nice to see an article on how to grow/start real locks... As opposed to just providing the "fast food option" of how to do it.
    ITA!
    It would have been nice if they praised a persons natural locked hair, regardless of length.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by paulicia@Feb 20 2004, 07:51 PM
    BTW, does anyone know of any hair magazines specifically for locs and natural hair? I'm sick of seeing hair mags that cater to the relaxed and weaved. WE want some hair care tips. WE want to see different style examples too. WE want to see articles on loc'ed celebrities and THEIR faces and naturals gracing the cover. Can't a napptural get some love in the publishing world?
    There are some Natural Hair Magazines out there- the names escape me.To be quite honest I'm not necessarily impressed w/ the natural hair care mags b/c many of the magazines are filled w/ pictures, not real substance. Another thing I noticed was that the women and men in these pictures had loc & braid extensions as well. While I find nothing wrong with promoting styles w/ added on hair sometimes (especially b/c our African ancestors rocked them for creativity), I think that mags do it too much. Also, when there is a picture of someone wearing their own natural hair, it's usually what backwards negros call 'good hair.' They don't have a wide variety of black people w/ different hair textures. I see too many pictures of sistas w/ 'curly', ringlet like afros.

In any event, we cannot rely on Essence to cater to us (the group of Black women who go against the grain and wear our hair natural).

@ ReddyLoques, I :heart the pictures in your signature.

BlakStaar
    Life is the spirit and the body is the temple...one life, one love.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Mzfitbodi+Feb 21 2004, 09:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mzfitbodi @ Feb 21 2004, 09:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ChocolatChaud@Feb 21 2004, 09:33 AM

Well it would have been nice to see an article on how to grow/start real locks... As opposed to just providing the "fast food option" of how to do it.
    ITA!
    It would have been nice if they praised a persons natural locked hair, regardless of length. [/b][/quote]
    Exactly! ITA.

And what is the point of showing people with fake locks? Why not show people with real locks and then in the fine print they could say something about fake alternatives. The article is making a statement to real loc wearers. I hear it loud and clear.

Furthermore, this is the type of thing that makes people start asking rude questions about whether or not OUR locks are real. (Just like in the thread about someone&#39;s lock authenicity being questioned) And I for one, don&#39;t like it. If you look at my hair and have the audacity to assume it is fake AND tell me so, just be ready... (box

Mocha

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point of showing people with fake locks was that the article, in my interpretation, was about how to get the look of locks or actually embark on the process of locking without having to endure the "rough stage" characteristic of most authentic (done with own hair) locks. The first model was shown with her own hair, the other two were not. If people have issues with the methodology, they shouldn&#39;t attack Essence for it; perhaps they should boycott, write to or rally against the stylists and salons who offer this "short cut" option.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast