Thread: Let's Rock

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, let's rock the 40s. No talk about chicken necks, bad feet, stomach rolls, and sloppy breastesess. Enough of those threads.

I'm rocking my 40s. I'm going to do some stuff I've never done before yall. First off I wouldn't relive the drama of my 20s and the stress of my 30s for anything. I have a house, a job, a car, and am ready to rock and roll.

I'm rocking nappy hair and hoop earrings, funky eye shadow and wedge heels. I like my butt, so I'm wearing skirts that make it look good.

I'm jamming to The Brother's Johnson's "I'll Be Good To Ya" and "Strawberry Letter 23", Frankie Beverly and Maze's "Happy Feelings", Christopher Cross' "Sailing", and just because I have the right to keep it funky, Kool and the Gang's "Jungle Boogie".

Since I have an attitude and am feeling good, I'm making plans. I'm taking at least one big vacation every single year. I'm cutting off 'associates' and spending more time with close, dear friends that I can trust. I'm challenging myself to learn a new and different culture every year. Every month, I'm creating a "must have" list of things that a woman like me deserves to have.. not just material things but things relating to health, wealth, and peace of mind.

I'm also making a list of my rights.. like my rights to happiness and fun.

OK, your turn. 5 things you're going to do to rock your 40s.
    Quit tripping on what you're wearing on your behind and get some education in your head.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Sailing...takes me away...to where I always wanted to be..." OMG, Peaches...I remember when that song was ALL they'd play on the white pop stations. :lol:

Okay, um...things I HAVEN'T done before?

- I'm going to start dating again. It's been TOO long. This time, though, I plan to date as wide a variety of men as possible. And I won't let the fact that I'm in eastern IA deter me. I'm going to make a project of it. :afro:

- I'm going to flirt! I was always too insecure/shy to do it before. It's all going to be in good fun. Tied to that, I'm going to get my girly on, but in a tasteful yet affordable way.

- I'm going to define myself as a fiction writer with a day job (whatever that job is; I don't have it yet), not as a technical writer who does fiction on the side. Besides, this MFA I'm about to get not only stands for Master of Fine Arts; it also stands for Mother F***ing Artist. :Cool_049:

- I'm (hopefully) going to Italy or Scotland in the next year. It depends on where my friend wants to go.

- I'm going to become an athlete before I'm 50. I don't know what sport it'll be in (leaning towards one of the triathlon sports: running, bicycling, or swimming), but I plan to be good enough at it to participate in amateur competitions if I choose.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^I feel you on the day job thing. I'm in nursing school, but that will basically be a day job for me. I'm finally starting to self-identify as a musician and you know what? It feels great.

I'm so over this whole fear of aging, anti-aging thing. We Americans have a very pathological attitude toward the whole thing, and we are basically being 'racist' against ourselves by our revulsion of old folks, since we will all be old one day if we're lucky enough to live long enough. I'm not going to judge myself by young folks' standards when it comes to looks, relationships, conventional wisdom, anything. I'm not going to steal my joy in the years going forward by keeping my eyes looking backwards, chasing youth. Eff that.

Looking forward to being an empty nester in a few years. I love my son and devoted many years to caring for him exclusively, but am looking forward to being able to say to myself "well done" and then focus more on me.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna finally have a career not just a job...as soon as I figure out just exactly what it is I want to do!!!!
    Round two: 2nd set of locs
    @http://public.fotki.com/rastagalnj
    Tatiana's blog: Designer Diva @http://rastagalnj.wordpress.com
    Minister of Style: @http://urbandomesticdiva.wordpress.com

SilverQ is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna finally have a career not just a job...as soon as I figure out just exactly what it is I want to do!!!!
    [/b]
    :lol: I can relate.
    'Education as the Practice of Freedom' bell hooks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot believe I am actually counting down until I am the big 40!!!

Already planned: Traveling out west. Approaching a publisher for my book. Sticking with college. Getting healthier.

I'm excited.
    Nappy since November 11, 2003

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm taking a motorcycle course and as soon as i'm done, i'm getting a Harley and joining the motorcycle ministry at my church
    Livin.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm taking a motorcycle course and as soon as i'm done, i'm getting a Harley and joining the motorcycle ministry at my church
    [/b]
    Now you rock on!!! That is hot.
    Round two: 2nd set of locs
    @http://public.fotki.com/rastagalnj
    Tatiana's blog: Designer Diva @http://rastagalnj.wordpress.com
    Minister of Style: @http://urbandomesticdiva.wordpress.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a few months left and then goodbye 40's.

What am I doing?

Travel, travel and more travel.

In school.

Relocating to the southwest in the next year or so.

Starting a new career.

Standing up for me by addressing issues with my ex that I did not want to be bothered with.

Taking a chance with the sweetest man I have ever met.
    7 year locs, relaxing and enjoying life

album pw: gummy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm an empty nester.
    Medusausi's Blog - Ani L'dodi V'dodi Li

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ricaAfrica.pngLoc'd - July 9, 2005. In the Pink - March 23, 2006.

"Everybody knows politics is a contact sport." - Barack Obama, The New Yorker, May 31, 2004

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast