Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this is probably old news to some, but this is new to me.

Apparently, there are been music groups in Japan who don "blackface" to perform music. One particular group is the Gosperats who consider themselves to be a R&B group. Some have claimed it is supposed to be a tribute to black people.

I am just shocked that a group of people would try this crap in 2007 and that an even larger group of people (the fans) would buy into it. And to have Sony Music support it...

I believe racism and its eradication is everyone's responsibility, yet I find myself blaming Sony Music much more than the Japanese music group.

Thoughts? Anyone been to Japan and noticed this phenonmenon?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently, there are been music groups in Japan who don "blackface" to perform music. One particular group is the Gosperats who consider themselves to be a R&B group. Some have claimed it is supposed to be a tribute to black people. [/b]
    This isn't the only blackface that Japanese have. They also have Jazz Mouth, Darkie, and Blackface toothpaste (http://www.atomicbombcinema.com/engl...-16_detail.htm) Japanese toymaker Sanrio Corporation, who makes Hello Kitty, exported a darky-icon character doll in the 1990s, but the controversy prompted Sanrio to halt production.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey I've never been to Japan, however I first heard about all this from a visiting artist to my college course in African American Expression. She is an African American painter and told us about an R&B group called the "Bubble sisters", who would perform dressed as black women or in "blackface". Anway we focused for a class or two on this phenomenon that occurred in japan, i believe in the late 90's early 00's where the youth began darkening their skin. This became a part of Japanese culture, and these youth were labelled Ganguros because of their darkened skin and urban dress style. (it would be interesting to read a translation of this word). Anyway they began to really surpris her because she claimed young people would come up to her and say "whats up my n****".
    Eventually she grew accustomed to it, and realized that these people weren't being malicious in anyway but actually admired "black" and "hip hop" culture in America. I'm not sure how common it is nowadays but it is extremely INTERESTING to see the influence of black people and hip hop culture across the world whether it be good or bad.

IF YOURE INTERESTED IN SEEING A PICTURE OF THE "BUBBLE SISTERS" IN THEIR "BLACKFACE" YOU CAN GOOGLE IT OR CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW.

http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&svnu...SISTERS&spell=1
    [SIZE=2]<div align="center">[b][color=#666600]Shirron

A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn&#39;t will find an excuse.
    Stephen Dooley, Jr.[/color][/b]</div>[/SIZE]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting indeed.

stephbut is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fukc the apologists. This is appalling.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is still degrading and extremely offensive nor is it flattering to anyone black. We need a revolution quick
    "So I take everyday as it comes to me waiting on God to fulfill my destiny" Kindred The Family Soul

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I clicked on the link...and it doesn&#39;t seem like they &#39;admire&#39; Black musicians.
    Why is the one chic wearing curlers in her hair? I don&#39;t know any R&B singers/rappers who do that. And what&#39;s with the puffed out cheeks and excessive pink blush?
    That&#39;s some phukked up admiration if you ask me
    CkT

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shirron: it is my understanding that Ganguro girls are not imitating black people but an anime character that is a portrayal of ultra-tanned beach-bunny girls from California. That is why they dye their hair blonde.

The Bubble sisters have always been racists. There is no other way to describe them. I saw on the internet where they were quoted they wore make-up to "uglify" themselves. I think the group still exists but they have dropped the make-up.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just read this post: http://metropolitician.blogs.com/scribblin..._from_my_p.html

This is really scary. I didn&#39;t realize until living abroad that the problem with American racist media is not just a problem for Americans. American popular culture is THE must pervasive culture in the world, we are exporting negative images and stereotypes of black people EVERYWHERE. When I came to Asia, I had no idea how people got the ideas in their heads they had about black people when many had never seen one before in real life or had any kind of experiences (positive or negative) with us.

And then it dawned on me, if all you knew about America came from DVDs, you too would think 1) all American women where easy 2) white men worthy of worship 3) black people inferior, less intelligent, and quite possibly dangerous. (Guess which one of those three groups of people makes most of the movies?? Who wouldn&#39;t make themselves the hero of their own art?)

Of course, it definitely does not help that so many of the drug dealers here are Nigerians. But then again, I don&#39;t think people feel quite the same way about the Russian mafiosos...because they look white.

At least in the US, people are much more sophisticated consumers of information. Dont&#39; get me wrong - there is still plenty of ignorance at home- but abroad, there are NO ALTERNATIVES to the mainstream hollywood crap. And there are no activists getting out there to fight this.

It&#39;s just scary, because as the world becomes more globalized and international, and more and more people of color start seeking their fortunes, careers, futures in other countries, we are going to be subject to the same crap as at home, thanks to the export of white American culture.

SOS!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default wow!

Quote Originally Posted by ccbanks7004 View Post
    This isn't the only blackface that Japanese have. They also have Jazz Mouth, Darkie, and Blackface toothpaste (http://www.atomicbombcinema.com/engl...-16_detail.htm) Japanese toymaker Sanrio Corporation, who makes Hello Kitty, exported a darky-icon character doll in the 1990s, but the controversy prompted Sanrio to halt production.
    This is terrible!! Stereotyping another person's culture isn't right, but people do it all of the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast