Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Nappturality and it's helped me a lot with staying natural and developing a positive view of my natural hair. I'm in this for good.

However, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who isn't all that into "growing toe length hair" as one thread jokes ^_^ (I know it's a challenge) or making/using all sorts of concotions on my hair.

I mostly co-wash it (although sometimes I do use shampoo), finger comb it and twist it up and go. I every few weeks I do an Aphogee treatment because my hair is fine and really needs strength. I did discover the vatika oil bandwagon and bought some. It seems to work well, but I just pretty much slap some on my hair and go. I've got thin or fine hair which I think most would categorize me as a c-napp.

I like playing around with various hairstyles. I go from a wash and go shruken fro to stretched out styles like twists, twist-outs and even banding (but the bands I use just end up making it hyper coiled. :blush However, I've got tight and soft naps so even as I get more length, it's not going to show that much.

I'm sure a lot of this is because I've got the schedule from h%ll right now, and I'm busy pretty much everyday. There is no time. However, even when I have time, I really just don't care. I've never been one to put much time into my hair. That's probably the main reason I wore microbraids for so long. They were easy. One afternoon of sitting and just wash and go for weeks after. I ended up growing whatever perm I had out and discovering my natural hair. When I have more time, I'll still wear twists and twist-outs mostly. Nothing much has changed except that now I'll let a twist-out morph into a fro because I don't have time to twist it back up.

My hair looks good. I'm learning how to style it for various occassions and that's about it. I want it healthy. I want it to grow. But I know if I take care of it that's going to happen.

Are there any other minimalists who are just happy that they appreciate their hair natural, do what they must to have it look nice and stay healthy, but, beyond that, just aren't caring too much?

BTW, no judgment on people who LOVE fussing with their hair and becoming expert mixtresses. It's just that sometimes going through the threads I feel like the odd one out. So I'm just wondering if there are others who are like me.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care. I went natural so I wouldn't have to care. I love that I don't have to. But some people like to play around with their hair a lot, and there's a lot of fun in it, especially since this stuff isn't as common as with dealing with relaxed hair. Some girls just really love their hair and love to play with it. :lol:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea thats one of the reasons why I went natural. I didn't want to invest TOO MUCH time on my hair. I can just wash n go without worrying about perming, greasing, and all that mess. I have to admit, I did obsess over my hair when I did the BC. Now that time has elapsed, the obsession died down and I feel like.....whatever..it's hair.
    Love yourself always

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah! Two so far!
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I just don't care too much or I am not as active as I was because I've been natural so long(8+ years). I am also really lazy and like to keep things simple as much as possible.
    Know when to let go of those things which do not serve you, but force you to serve them

- Aryadeva

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there any other minimalists who are just happy that they appreciate their hair natural, do what they must to have it look nice and stay healthy, but, beyond that, just aren't caring too much?[/b]
    Guilty as charged.
    Big Chop: January 2004

Current style: Big azz afro

Niya is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think most people go through that obsession where it's so exciting to learn something new and experiment with it. (And growing it to long lengths is just one of those factors.) As with all things, the newness dies down and fades into the background or something else takes its place.

NadaJ is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sis, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you care more than you think! You want to make sure your hair is conditioned and that it looks nice. I think that counts as caring--shoot, you even style it! ^_^

What I'm reading is that you aren't waiting for your hair to grow, and I feel that. I'm a product junkie, but I am also style-challenged, so all I wear is a shrunken fro. I really just care that it "feels" right, so maybe I'm a minimalist too?
    Last re.laxer: 2/15/06
    BC: 6/17/06
    Locs born: 7/12/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sis, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you care more than you think! You want to make sure your hair is conditioned and that it looks nice. I think that counts as caring--shoot, you even style it! ^_^

What I'm reading is that you aren't waiting for your hair to grow, and I feel that. I'm a product junkie, but I am also style-challenged, so all I wear is a shrunken fro. I really just care that it "feels" right, so maybe I'm a minimalist too?
    [/b]
    Well, I said I just don't care that much. Which differs a bit from folks who don't care at all versus folks who are always fussing with their hair. I'm stuck somewhere in the middle but more towards the "I'm not spending more than X amount of time on this, period" end. Yesterday, I went to a social function and was happy because I looked nice and my hair was cute. Yes, I do care, but that took me just twisting it up and then taking the twists out literally before I walked out the door.

I'm actually REALLY thankful for the mixtresses and nappturals who care more than I do. Why? I learn about some new trick or product that makes it easier for me. ^_^ One example is when I first started twisting, I'd always use some product. Then a thread appeared and people said they just dry twisted their hair with nothing at all. Guess what? I started doing it and it works great for me.

Like I said when I edited my initial post, this isn't about blasting those who do care. I'm just wondering about those of us who are much more casual about their hair care.

Clearly, all of us fall somewhere on the "care" spectrum.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely a minimalist. So much so that when I want some length to play with I loc it up because my hair is too much to deal with and requires too much time when it's long and loose. Right now my whole wash routine takes all but 30 minutes and then I'm free to let it air dry and move on to other things.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast