Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive always been a finger twister...but recently i saw that tutorial with the paperclip and it looked so easy to do that i tried it...now it makes my re-do last longer and my roots are tighter but it takes longer and my arm is killing me when im done...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I'm no longer going to the beatuy shop and spend half my day/night getting my hair re.laxed or the old "wash and set", I go to someone to get my hair re-twisted (kind of like a treat to myself). She uses the latch hook tool. I usually wait at least 10 weeks between appointments. I figure at some point, I'll learn how to do it myself, just don't feel led to do so at this time!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ I didn't get that from Cheleski's post at all.

What I got from that was that due to the frequency of the OP's maintenance schedule and changing the methods, she could be in danger of weakened locks.

Any type of maintenance; latching, twisting, rolling, etc. done too often can be bad for some folx.

Every two weeks wouldn't be good for MY hair but others have stated that it works for them.

HTH
    [/b]
    I already know that too much manipulation of either method will weaken the loc, but something she said threw me off. I reread her statement and I see where I got confused..lol. Thanks for replying.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good thread. latching was/is going to be my next venture. i want to latch because i started thinking using gel is something like a quick fix to a junky. you end up needing more & more as the week rolls by. This being my first summer having hair up there. Im sweating like a beast, i wash my hair maybe every 3-4 days. Washing plus the sweat is not allowing the roots to stay twisted with gel. I'm going to youtube me some clips a little later because i've read about how to do the latching but it has made little sense to me. *visual learner*

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so i peeped a few fine youtubing women who showed me how to finger latch and tool latch. So i went ahead and made me some latching tools and BAM! latched a few dreads while i played a video game. if you want to, check out my homemade tool via fotki link. I F* on a dread and got scared because it felt like i really pulled the wrong thing through. it all worked out fine though lol. just paranoid i guess because i saw someones thread today about pulling other roots through or something.

larenee is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a newbie, too - only about 3 months in, I like fingerlatching damp hair about once a month. I use coconut oil all over and aloe vera gel and ORS twist and loc gel to smooth my frizzies down the end.

Tried that paperclip thing and thought
    I had it all figured out, until I got one tangled in for about 10 scary minutes. :-)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I fisrt started my journey, I used to get my hair maintained about every 2-3 weeks. My stylist would either finger latch or use the latch hook depending on the amount of growth I had. Now 14 months into the game, all the excitement have worn off and I am just mellowing it out so I get my hair done every 4-6 weeks. My stylist mostly use the finger latching method now because there is alot more growth to work with. She works with damp hair but she also uses ORS loc and twist gel as well.
    Tola Empress

Fotki Album updated
    http://public.fotki.com/TolaEmpress/

Jewelry PW: creativity

Taqwa is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I'm no longer going to the beatuy shop and spend half my day/night getting my hair re.laxed or the old "wash and set", I go to someone to get my hair re-twisted (kind of like a treat to myself). She uses the latch hook tool. I usually wait at least 10 weeks between appointments. I figure at some point, I'll learn how to do it myself, just don't feel led to do so at this time!
    [/b]

Where in OHIO are you? I am looking for somewhere to get my locs latched.

I had my locs latch hooked twice and I must say they "looked" really nice.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sooo glad I ran across this (& a few other) latch threads!!
    I keep my son's locs up & it's a challenge 'cause he is very active and sweats, swim, & all the other stuff that makes his roots come undone in like 1-2 days!!! I just tryed latching last nite on him and the results were FANTASTIC!!! I didn't even wash it just did it dry ( do plan to wash it this week). Anyhoo, I made a tool out of a bobby pin to do his smaller locs & use my fingers for the larger ones. Its was fast compared to the palmrolling I usu. do!!
    I LOVE my NAPPZ :) !!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in my 4th year of locking and I have been latching for 3 1/2 years I started out latching every 4 weeks, then six weeks and now it is every 6-8 weeks. I have gone longer, but that is not advised. I use plain water to latch in. Afterwards, I spritz with a mixture of carrot/aloe oil, island oil, vitamin e oil and water. I sometimes spritz with plain water. I also use JML Cactus Oil Moisturizing Lotion and the No More Itch Growth Spray at times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast