msoyekan is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! I love it. That artivle definitely rings the bell the tune of truth. I love my hair and I am a napptural for life. However, there is my dilemma. I'm looking for a job right now. At first I thoght I waould wear my afro and everything would be ok. This and other things that I've heard recently make me believe that I may have to straighten my hair for interviews. A part of me says I don't want to be denied a job because of a perceived notion. On the other hand I think the job that God has for me is for me. What do you guys think?
    Ms. Oyekan
    As BOLD as a lion and as COURAGEOUS as a tiger, I am unapologetically me

Last CFC May 12, 2006
    BC: October 13, 2006

I love me and my hair

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Black women spend approximately $50 million per year on chemical straighteners alone"
    Wow...just wow. The things our community could do with 50 million dollars annually....
    [/b]
    I know, right!! That reminds me of that Korean video where black women in the projects were spending $30,$40, $50 at the hair store...That could be a decent amount of groceries...Maybe pay some of a bill...
    My fotki!
    ~small June update~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accordingly, a great deal of time and expense is required to transform Black hair so that it conforms to traditional workplace norms for appearance -- in other words, so that it looks more similar to the hair of their White, Asian, or Hispanic counterparts. [/b]
    I'm glad she's sippin on the Keepin It Real Juice.

Journalist Charisse Jones and clinical psychologist Kumea Shorter-Gooden interviewed Black women, finding that most were uniquely concerned with being perceived as too different or "too Black" in the work place[/b]
    That's exactly what I've been saying...
    My fotki!
    ~small June update~

aeburo is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This and other things that I've heard recently make me believe that I may have to straighten my hair for interviews.[/b]
    As long as the hairstyle is neat, you have nothing to worry about. Just put on your suit and rock your natural hairstyle!
    "Good hair is hair that do its job which is to keep your head warm." -Tiffany Turner (Washington Post)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to say that nappy hair won't ever matter, but that's not the truth. It depends on the company/firm, and who's sitting across from you, during the interview. If you've never not gotten a job, because of your hair, or your weight, or your color, then be thankful, but don't be so quick to think it won't or couldn't EVER happen. This society hasn't gotten there...yet.

I think the most important consideration is if you're willing to risk it mattering, and you're in a position to let the chips fall — for me, that means trusting God to direct me, and direct those who are in a position to hire me. If an employer rejects me, because of my hair (BTW, I do believe some natural hairstyles ARE more professional than others, just like with straight styles), then I see that as a blessing. I can say, "The Lord will provide", cuz that's my testimony and I truly believe that. But can everyone else say the same? No, because they don't have that much faith. Talk is cheap, but walk is costly.

I can't argue with somebody who says, "I can't risk not getting this job, because my hair may not pass inspection", cuz I'm not in a position to pay their rent, buy their food and pay their child's daycare, if things go south. Sometimes, for some people, standing for a particular principle is not worth the sacrifice — regardless of what I may think.

So it's back to my original point: Each person must determine how they're willing to (or if they're willing to)
    compromise, to get their foot in the door. For me, frying/cracking my hair is not an option.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that my hair sends a message. I haven't really defined the message ...but it's sayin' somethin'! I don't need my hair to identify but rather to enhance my blackness. I exude BLACKNESS I can't help it, and I don't want to hide it. It is evident from the moment you look at me...big eyes, thick lips, baby-makin' hips...skin that bronzes not burns in the sun i could go on and on....

With all the tanning and texturizing products that are out there for "others" i've long realized that what I have "naturally" is coveted, and envied. People PAY big $$$ for this hair, this skin, these lips, this a$$....this 'tude!

Corporate America (represented by my current white male senior management in NYC) has told me thus far that my hair is "awesome" "i really like your hair like that"....etc. I'm looking for a new job in a new state so it will be interesting to see what my experience will be in another state.
    BC: April 1st 2007

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! I love it. That artivle definitely rings the bell the tune of truth. I love my hair and I am a napptural for life. However, there is my dilemma. I'm looking for a job right now. At first I thoght I waould wear my afro and everything would be ok. This and other things that I've heard recently make me believe that I may have to straighten my hair for interviews. A part of me says I don't want to be denied a job because of a perceived notion. On the other hand I think the job that God has for me is for me. What do you guys think?
    [/b]
    Don't do it. You may very well end up with a supervisor who absolutely loves your hair straight and goes out of her way to "tease" (insult) you in front of other coworkers once she sees it natural. I found out through the "back door" that she was having this conversation with other managers and the only reason they didn't "make" me straighten it out again is because one manager very wisely pointed out that they couldn't oblige me to change the hair that was growing out of my head without putting themselves at risk for a hardcore lawsuit. It took me telling her in private during an MSN convo at home that I didn't appreciate her commentary to make her stop. You may not have that luxury.

Besides, there are many women on this very board who got hired for their current positions nappy hair and all.
    Please visit my Fotki!

My reality check bounced! -- Come visit me or my cat at Myspace

R-E-A-D-A-B-O. Okay?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[/b]
    The purpose of the article is to educate and make folks aware, lest we forget and think that all the world is like Nappturality. If you believe that God will open the door that you're supposed to walk thru, then stand on that faith. Even if I really wanted a job, and my faith went out the window, I would slap a wig on my head, before I would burn or crack my own hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whether nappy hair affects your chances at employment is entirely up to you. Walk into an interview with a BAA and some huge hoop earrings, and yeah your nappy hair might be a problem. However go to an interview with neat twists pinned into an updo and they probably won't even notice your hair. There are professional styles for all types of hair textures. A neat TWA is more professional than a frohawk. A low puff is definitely more professional than a raging high puff. If you don't make your hair something that draws attention, then it won't be perceived negatively in interviews.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whether nappy hair affects your chances at employment is entirely up to you. Walk into an interview with a BAA and some huge hoop earrings, and yeah your nappy hair might be a problem. However go to an interview with neat twists pinned into an updo and they probably won't even notice your hair. There are professional styles for all types of hair textures. A neat TWA is more professional than a frohawk. A low puff is definitely more professional than a raging high puff. If you don't make your hair something that draws attention, then it won't be perceived negatively in interviews.
    [/b]
    Amen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast