Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi ladies!!!

You've helped me with my hair...and now with this new forum, I thought I'd ask for help in this area too!

I would like to kinda develop/create a new fashion sense for myself. I don't think I've ever really had one before...I know the things that I like...I know how I would like to look, but I don't really know where to begin. I do like the funky, bohemian, neo-soul kinda look that I see many ladies wearing. I have a pretty decent shape, so I can probably wear just about anything.

Can you ladies help me? Give me some ideas??

Oh...by the way...I'm on a budget...single-parent, college student...you know. But any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. And I'm a pretty good seamstress too.
    Last chemical fire cream: October 6, 2005

B/C Date: 2/21/2006

Don't remove the kinks from your hair. Remove them from your brain. - Marcus Garvey
    My Blog and Pictures

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ebayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy . miss whitley gilbert is also nifty at making lovely bohemian wear, maybe she can drop in a share with us.
    Thanks to my angel who made me PANK again!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hola Seeker of Faith!

I'm no fashion expert, but I'm a college student on a budget (read: NO MONEY), so I've done discount shopping. I think the key to the bohemian look is unique fabrics, prints and shapes. So tip #1 would be scouting out cute items at African/African-American festivals and markets. You can find fabrics for headwraps, skirts, cute T-shirts (and usually HAIR PRODUCTS TOO!). Plus you'll be buying Black. Hopefully you're in an area where these kinds of events happen during the summer.

Tip 2: Jewelry! I think good earrings always set off a funky outfit. Think shells, ropes, wood...You can find cute jewelry in a lot of places now, so don't be afraid to check out Claire's and Wal-Mart and Target. And the beauty supply store!

Tip 3: Earth tones. I think the stereotypical bohemian wears browns and greens and tan, so look for items in shades that compliment your regal skintone. But that doesn't mean you can't play with bright colors, too.

Tip 4: Flowy silhouettes. I feel my most bohemian in long, light skirts and fluttery blouses. With sandals! Try on dresses that you would ordinarily walk away from--you might like the way they look.

Other than that, I would just say that changing one's wardrobe takes time. I'm trying to do the same thing you are and it's expensive. So just start small and soon, you'll have some things to choose from. And don't be afraid of looking at clothes in cheapy places like thrift stores, Wal-Mart, Target, Rave/G&G. Just make sure it's not falling apart And don't forget your beautiful napptural hairdo!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

op: op: I soooooooooo need help in this area. I like the bohemian look myself. I am plus size. Any plus size women out there? I am about a 18/20 in bottoms and 1x some 2x in shirts . i am usually a jean, shirt type of girl. I need some FABULOUSNESS in my life :lol: :lol:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

op: op: I soooooooooo need help in this area. I like the bohemian look myself. I am plus size. Any plus size women out there? I am about a 18/20 in bottoms and 1x some 2x in shirts . i am usually a jean, shirt type of girl. I need some FABULOUSNESS in my life :lol: :lol:
    [/b]

plus sized diva chimming in

i say that boho is one of the easiest looks in the book because it works in all seasons (with the earth tones) and it can be madd affordable

instead of buying clothes in "outfit pairs" build up over a period of time. see some hot cheap earrings, cop them. next month, see some flyy shoes, grab em. dont try to get everything ALL AT ONCE!

i look horrid in the broom skirt- but regularly check out the plus sized stores (torrid, lane bryant, ashley stewart) and see what they have on sale (if you cant afford the OG prices) and go from there. clothing styles evolve. so dont ever think that you missed the skirt, i guarantee it may come back around next season..

also keep in mind that you can make your own look. cut up a skirt or a shirt. i know for me, i may have a shirt that originally fit too small, but something about cutting around the neckline to make it off the shoulder the shirt widens up ALOT!

i dont do thrift stores cuz never find ish to fit me- but you can hit them up as well. ^_^

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

plus sized diva chimming in

i say that boho is one of the easiest looks in the book because it works in all seasons (with the earth tones) and it can be madd affordable

instead of buying clothes in "outfit pairs" build up over a period of time. see some hot cheap earrings, cop them. next month, see some flyy shoes, grab em. dont try to get everything ALL AT ONCE!

i look horrid in the broom skirt- but regularly check out the plus sized stores (torrid, lane bryant, ashley stewart) and see what they have on sale (if you cant afford the OG prices) and go from there. clothing styles evolve. so dont ever think that you missed the skirt, i guarantee it may come back around next season..

also keep in mind that you can make your own look. cut up a skirt or a shirt. i know for me, i may have a shirt that originally fit too small, but something about cutting around the neckline to make it off the shoulder the shirt widens up ALOT!

i dont do thrift stores cuz never find ish to fit me- but you can hit them up as well. ^_^
    [/b]

thanks buttah for the advice.I so want to make my own look and do my own thing. I am partially there, but I need a little more practice. The 1thing i think i have down is the accessories. I LUV Accessories! I usually am the type of shopper that gets on item from here, one from there and on and on. This is really a good post topic

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tip 3: Earth tones. I think the stereotypical bohemian wears browns and greens and tan, so look for items in shades that compliment your regal skintone. But that doesn't mean you can't play with bright colors, too.

Tip 4: Flowy silhouettes. I feel my most bohemian in long, light skirts and fluttery blouses. With sandals! Try on dresses that you would ordinarily walk away from--you might like the way they look.

[/b]
    IA with Buttah and curlycoilyfroily. Especially the above part.

For me, the more I stay around people that know how to put together outfits (people online and celebrity blogs), the better I get at making some of my own. I'm a little better at knowing what goes with what.
    [color=#660066][i]I believe your promise is too hard to give me courage.
    All with my feelings...
    the precious time seeing you.

I'm marching on...[/i]
    [b]TiA - Ryuusei (Shooting Star) - Naruto 6ED theme[/b][/color]

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n236/Only1biancab/keikoxmew2.jpg[/img]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also, dont be afraid to mix match YET coordinate. i hate seeing outfits thats "matchy matchy".

have fun with colors!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omg buttah that last dress is SO FLYYY! where did you get that pic from?? i NEED that in my life! lol.
    Fotki a few new photos up.

<---my personal blog

visit my Award Winning nappy diva fiction blog, Life and Times of Ata Nafia.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

harrietsalteregoonline.com

you&#39;ll be payin a penny!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast