Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say use the aloe vera gel. You can go to walmart and get it.

For twisting I use Naani loc'd down butta and I mix it with aloe gel. Its a pretty good hold if I sit uder the dryer for an hour.
    [img][link=http://lilypie.com][img%20noborder]http://b1.lilypie.com/dscRm5.png[/img][/link][/img]

My fotki <------its back up

My yahoo 360

Join my yahoo group learn how 2 live & eat healthy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div align="center">....hey FaithSoulSistah and Newlynaturalkitty2...whew what a mouthful....

but yeah

Faith (if I may)...there doesn&#39;t seem to be anything that&#39;s STRONG enough to hold our hairtype and PURE enough to not cause flakes/buildup....we just gotta deal with it I guess until things get better....are you using the 99.9% Aloe Vera (I think it&#39;s 99.9 or 99 or something like that)...good luck with it and please keep us updated....do you have pictures?

....thanks for the support and encouragement yall....LOCK IT UP!!!!

((RED))
    [/b][/quote]

Well that is very discouraging Red. My hair always looks great after its done, but then in a day or two I see flakes on my locs. Then my scalp starts to flake. When my loctician used her gunk, I did not see any flakes on my hair. Its just that the itching and flaking on my scalp was out of control. Plus it seems like it was too slick. My hair is much softer w/o the gunk in it. My co-worker&#39;s sister used Carol&#39;s Daughter Loc Butter when she had locs. Maybe I will try it. And I can&#39;t seem to go beyond a week w/o washing my hair and retwisting.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that is very discouraging Red. My hair always looks great after its done, but then in a day or two I see flakes on my locs. Then my scalp starts to flake. When my loctician used her gunk, I did not see any flakes on my hair. Its just that the itching and flaking on my scalp was out of control. Plus it seems like it was too slick. My hair is much softer w/o the gunk in it. My co-worker&#39;s sister used Carol&#39;s Daughter Loc Butter when she had locs. Maybe I will try it. And I can&#39;t seem to go beyond a week w/o washing my hair and retwisting.
    [/b]
    I first tried twists, but they kept coming out on the top of my head. After much frustration, I went ahead and got Sisterlocks. For my hair, it took either that or tiny braids all over. The braiders in my town looked at me like i was crazy when I would ask them so that&#39;s why I decided to look for a Sisterlock consultant.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I first tried twists, but they kept coming out on the top of my head. After much frustration, I went ahead and got Sisterlocks. For my hair, it took either that or tiny braids all over. The braiders in my town looked at me like i was crazy when I would ask them so that&#39;s why I decided to look for a Sisterlock consultant.
    [/b]
    Garne, my hair has begun to loc a little already. I thought about sisterlocks though. I just really hate putting products in, but I guess I will have to keep at it until I find the right one for me. The aloe didn&#39;t hold well this time and my hair is very frizzy after just a few days. So its back to the drawing board.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RED, I use Jamaican Mango and Lime Loc gel and I mix in a lil olive oil and sit under a dryer for about 30 min then let it air dry. It doesn&#39;t flake and I&#39;ve been happy with it. Maybe you can try that.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RED, I use Jamaican Mango and Lime Loc gel and I mix in a lil olive oil and sit under a dryer for about 30 min then let it air dry. It doesn&#39;t flake and I&#39;ve been happy with it. Maybe you can try that.
    [/b]
    <div align="center">i think it&#39;s safe to say that i&#39;m a product junkie cuz i&#39;ve tried that...and then my thing is i hate sittin under dryers...it gets so hot and dries my eyes and makes me sleepy....LOOOOOOOOOOOOL....i got problems...yall don&#39;t pay me no mind.

((RED))</div>
    <div align="center">Love yourself...

[url="http://public.fotki.com/red-rage82/"]Red Rage&#39;s Fotki[/url]

[img]http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5584/mylocs2nv7.jpg[/img]
    </div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just use water and metal duckbill clips to twist my hair. I think it works better for me because you don&#39;t have any product up in there that could lubricate your hair, almost.
    I can&#39;t seem to go beyond a week w/o washing my hair and retwisting.[/b]
    :lipsrsealed: Twisting every week? I think that&#39;s a bit much...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can be overwhelming ... here&#39;s my story. I have about four different textures on my head-I basically go from Africa at the crown to Europe in the "kitchen". I also have a scalp that itches and flakes in 1 day if I put something wrong on it. My scalp also will act up if I don&#39;t wash/cleanse it at least once a week.

So with all that going on, I thought locks were out of the question for me. I was very patient and did my research while i enjoyed my loose natural hair for ~12 years. I wanted the freedom of locks, but not the build-up I had seen on many. I didn&#39;t want to have to use a lot of product to hold, but knew the back of my head would lock very slowly, and I needed to wash frequently.

What worked for me was to start with 2 strand twists in Africa, braids in Europe, and maintain by latching. I can wash when needed (I no-poo) and have minimal unraveling, and zero scalp issues.

I know talk is cheap, I&#39;ve been on here too long to not have pics. I&#39;m working on it.
    "A**ed out all over town...Will you forgive me?"- Maxwell-"Bad Habits"
    New Music from Black Summers&#39; Night
    Maxwell&#39;s Space

I&#39;m still just moving in...
    raya&#39;s Space

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ So... you wash your hair every week, which is great, but you don&#39;t twist every week, do you?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ So... you wash your hair every week, which is great, but you don&#39;t twist every week, do you?
    [/b]
    Nope, I re-latch every...maybe 6 weeks. I don&#39;t really keep track now, but go by how my roots are feeling/looking. I don&#39;t really twist at all, after a wash I may roll/twirl a few locks between my fingers for less frizz or a rounder shape, but that&#39;s it. ITA, from what I&#39;ve read, twisting too often, especially with small/thin locks causes breakage. That was another reason why I choose latching. I wanted smaller locks, and prefer a neat look, but knew the size locks I wanted couldn&#39;t stand the twisting I would need to do for the look I like.

ETA- Actually, I co-wash 2-3 times a week. My scalp thinks it&#39;s in heaven.
    "A**ed out all over town...Will you forgive me?"- Maxwell-"Bad Habits"
    New Music from Black Summers&#39; Night
    Maxwell&#39;s Space

I&#39;m still just moving in...
    raya&#39;s Space

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast