Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah...one teen at my rec center told me I looked "African" when I had my Badu wrap in...and her fam's from Guyana or somethin...I'm "Regular black". I asked her "well what the hell am I spose to look like!?". Gave her the stuckface real quick.

When some people say stupid stuff u gotta respond in their language...cuz if u don't most of the time it just goes over their head.

ETA: fftop: Ms_GG...your avatar is soo cute :wub:
    LAST evil chemical fire cream: March 17, 2006
    BC: NOVEMBER 19,2006
    Started Locs: June 28, 2008
    Cut off Locs: March 14, 2009
    http://b1.lilypie.com/73u9m4/.png
    http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4...giecomp.th.jpg

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off Topic, like Miss Mack: Ms. GG, YOUR hair is too pretty. Wow!
    My Travel Blog | October 2007 Napptural of the Month (still looking for the link)

"The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself."
    ~Rita Mae Brown, Venus Envy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since joining NP a couple of months ago I’ve read a number of threads about the inane comments co-workers, classmates, parents, family members, friends, and perfect strangers have made to nappies about their hair. I’m always left scratching my head wondering what’s going on here.

I’ve been natural for more than thirty years, and I don’t remember folks giving me as much grief and flak about my hair. Of course, I’ve forgotten more things that I remember – which is probably good.

In the meantime I think I’ve finally come up with one explanation for the grief some of you experience from family and others. Folks think they can say anything to you when you’re young. They assume you’re naive, flakey, gullible, easily swayed by trends, and not likely to have any well reasoned convictions behind such a bold choice for your hair.

So, they say what they want to you.

I’ll give parents the benefit of the doubt (because I am a parent myself). When parents (mothers especially) say the negative things that they do about your hair it's because they love you and are genuinely afraid for you. (It may not feel like it at the time.) They fear that your unconventional hair choice may cause you to miss out on some things in life (e.g., good job, romance, social opportunities). Mothers hate to see their children miss out on things they deserve to have.

What about when other folks who say dumb things to you about your hair? Well, they are just being jacka*%#sses. And you have to figure out what will be your stance toward jacka*%#sses who think they can say whatever they want to you. :Angry:

I close with this observation: we live in a culture that despises women who refuse to conform to conventional notions of beauty and acceptability. Depending upon your region of the country and your circle of family and friends, choosing to be napptural is choosing to be a warrior. And warriors leave home anticipating the possibility of battle.[/b]
    Amen.
    My fotki!
    ~small June update~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She's 14. Now, wait till you hear it (or something else just as...interesting) from a 35-year old — now that may rock your world, if you let it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She's 14. Now, wait till you hear it (or something else just as...interesting) from a 35-year old — now that may rock your world, if you let it.
    [/b]
    And she should definitely be prepared for it. I was 18/19 and getting rudeness from women twice my age.
    My fotki!
    ~small June update~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What people usually say when you are natural and they see you start to get length is I bet your hair would be so pretty if you straighten it.

To which you should drop the truth on them. And trust that you do it once or twice folks won't mess with you again.

Yeah... but to straighten it I have to apply at least two heat sources blow dryer and flat flaming hot tool of hair torture and probably a curling iron which is going to straighten it at first but then to get it REALLY straight I got to run the risk of frying my hair.

If I use chemicals they are permanent and I can't get my naps back

And then after I straighten it I have to cut a an inch or more off to even it out and take care of the split ends that WILL occur from the straightening process. Then reshape it into a cut that will work for my naps and straight.

So why would I go through all that trouble to grow a healthy head of hair so that it is in good enough condition to mess up.

Because the truth is its only going to look cute for a minute, then I either become a slave to straightening and resting my hair with braid extensions again... trying to get my hair to grow, or have to cut it all off and start again because my hair is jacked up.

Why do I want to get back on that merry go round again... no thanks I've already done that ride. ~W
    GET INSPI(RED)

You gotta be grateful you need haters
    What are you complaining about
    What do you think a haters job is
    To hate
    So let them do their job ~ Katt Williams

SO BE IT ~W

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh my goodness people always tell me to straighten my hair, just once, "it will be so pretty and long "
    i think my hair is pretty already. Or people with natural hair tell me to grow locs.
    check out my fotki
    [url="http://members.fotki.com/jsmith842/"]http://members.fotki.com/jsmith842/[/url]
    no pw

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: "your Hair Is Too Pretty..."

Quote Originally Posted by jnicoles42 View Post
    oh my goodness people always tell me to straighten my hair, just once, "it will be so pretty and long "
    i think my hair is pretty already. Or people with natural hair tell me to grow locs.
    my mom used to tell me to blow my hair out occasionally... glad I'm loc'd now...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics

9. Thanks Miss T thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have many hair conversations these days, but just recently, I was talking to a guy about hair for some reason. And, I mentioned that I really didn't like straight hair on black women. I too had to take him there. That we've been conditioned for too long to believe that straight hair = pretty/beautiful/acceptable hair. He thought about it for a moment and agreed.

Yes, we are finally getting through to folks that our hair is just fine/beautiful/pretty/acceptable just as it grows out of our head.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Napia Mia View Post
    I don't have many hair conversations these days, but just recently, I was talking to a guy about hair for some reason. And, I mentioned that I really didn't like straight hair on black women. I too had to take him there. That we've been conditioned for too long to believe that straight hair = pretty/beautiful/acceptable hair. He thought about it for a moment and agreed.

Yes, we are finally getting through to folks that our hair is just fine/beautiful/pretty/acceptable just as it grows out of our head.
    Did you see this? I'm not a huge fan of Museveni but I see his point.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-46631401

My coworker who ran back to the perm after having a TWA for about three months has mentioned her stylist to me on several occasions. Last time she mentioned the silk press without out-and-out saying "You should get one." She's actually a very nice person but I've already decided that if I ever show up to work with straightened hair, it'll be during my last week of employment.

For some reason YouTube keeps recommending silk press videos to me as well, lol. There was one that I actually liked because the stylist used large rollers to stretch the hair prior to flat-ironing it. I wanted to add something along the lines of "Should've stopped there" to my comment, but I didn't.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12