Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

I've had alot of mixed responses about my decision to go natural. The majority of people usually say, "Well, you have good hair, so you can do that." And of course, I try to tell them that ANYONE can make the right decision to go natural....no matter what the texture of their hair. They just have to have a patience.

Regardless, yesterday at a Memorial Day outing, my best friend's little sister came up to me, ran her hand through my two strand twists, and said, "What are these supposed to be? Kinky twists?"

I looked at her and I shook my head. I told her they were two strand twists with my own hair. And she shocked me with her response, "Your hair is too pretty for that."

Now I was surprised for two reasons: 1) I ALWAYS have my hair in two strand twists and she's actually complimented them before. This time around though they were smaller and done on dry hair so I guess they look a little different; 2) How can your hair be too pretty for a style?

Trying to remember that she is young (14) and not very educated about hair since hers is brittle and breaking and coming out in the front, I asked her, "Well, how should my hair be?"

And she told me, "I don't know. You should flat-iron it or something." :Angry:

Again, I held my composure and politely told her, "My hair is sooo pretty because I DON'T flat flaming hot tool of hair torture it or anything. My hair is as straight as it wants to be."

That was yesterday and I'm still thinking about her comment. I mean, how misguided can you be?!?!?!?!?!?
    Photo is from my first episode of shingling.....shrinkage was there with a vengeance!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to remember that she is young (14) and not very educated about hair since hers is brittle and breaking and coming out in the front,
    I mean, how misguided can you be?!?!?!?!?!?
    [/b]
    The immaturity and lack of education on our hair probably explains her being misguided
    my fotki
    password is np updated 8/31

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The immaturity and lack of education on our hair probably explains her being misguided
    [/b]
    I mean I know that ... it's just sad to me.
    Photo is from my first episode of shingling.....shrinkage was there with a vengeance!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These girls in my high school (a grade below me) were like "You should take your locs out and straighten it! Your hair would be so pretty!" and I was like, "Since when does having straight hair equal having pretty hair?" or something like that. One was black, the other Peruvian. We were friends, but I said, "Straight hair =/= pretty hair". The black girl (who looks up to me, I think) was like, "Really?" and gave me this curious smile... but I was too <_< to respond further. And my teacher told said to go back to our seats. I think the black girl looks up to me because she said things like, "You&#39;re so smart", and "I&#39;m going to be like you" (refering to my grade)... maybe we&#39;ll be in the same class next year. She said she&#39;d like dreads, but thinks there&#39;s a lack of versatility in natural hair. I&#39;m wondering if I should just buy the Nappturality yearbook for her because I think I have a chance of changing her mind.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there was a time when I didnt like twists and braids in done by ones natural hair too...you just gotta think about the culture we live in and how these people are influnced.....if all we know is straightened styles then what are we going to consider pretty? Ugly is always the opposite of pretty so we all know what some folks think ugly is unfourtentely (sp)
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These girls in my high school (a grade below me) were like "You should take your locs out and straighten it! Your hair would be so pretty!" and I was like, "Since when does having straight hair equal having pretty hair?" or something like that. One was black, the other Peruvian. We were friends, but I said, "Straight hair =/= pretty hair". The black girl (who looks up to me, I think) was like, "Really?" and gave me this curious smile... but I was too <_< to respond further. And my teacher told said to go back to our seats. I think the black girl looks up to me because she said things like, "You&#39;re so smart", and "I&#39;m going to be like you" (refering to my grade)... maybe we&#39;ll be in the same class next year. She said she&#39;d like dreads, but thinks there&#39;s a lack of versatility in natural hair. I&#39;m wondering if I should just buy the Nappturality yearbook for her because I think I have a chance of changing her mind.
    [/b]
    Shoot, you could just direct her to the site.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get stuff like that pretty often from mom. I"m just thinking, "I stay awhile from heat and chemicals and that&#39;s why it&#39;s so healthy." <_<
    My fotki!
    ~small June update~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to remember that she is young (14) and not very educated about hair since hers is brittle and breaking and coming out in the front, I asked her, "Well, how should my hair be?"

Kinda asking for irritation if you ask me - her response would have been what I expected! I would have missed out the question out and gone straight to -

I politely told her, "My hair is sooo pretty because I DON&#39;T flat flaming hot tool of hair torture it or anything, and yours could be too!" Then I&#39;d look at her hair, pat her shoulder, and go bout my business...

Dread since 2005

The Revolution will not be televised - Gil Scott Heron

My Fotki - pw: simiya

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since joining NP a couple of months ago I’ve read a number of threads about the inane comments co-workers, classmates, parents, family members, friends, and perfect strangers have made to nappies about their hair. I’m always left scratching my head wondering what’s going on here.

I’ve been natural for more than thirty years, and I don’t remember folks giving me as much grief and flak about my hair. Of course, I’ve forgotten more things that I remember – which is probably good.

In the meantime I think I’ve finally come up with one explanation for the grief some of you experience from family and others. Folks think they can say anything to you when you’re young. They assume you’re naive, flakey, gullible, easily swayed by trends, and not likely to have any well reasoned convictions behind such a bold choice for your hair.
    So, they say what they want to you.

I’ll give parents the benefit of the doubt (because I am a parent myself). When parents (mothers especially) say the negative things that they do about your hair it&#39;s because they love you and are genuinely afraid for you. (It may not feel like it at the time.) They fear that your unconventional hair choice may cause you to miss out on some things in life (e.g., good job, romance, social opportunities). Mothers hate to see their children miss out on things they deserve to have.

What about when other folks who say dumb things to you about your hair? Well, they are just being jacka*%#sses. And you have to figure out what will be your stance toward jacka*%#sses who think they can say whatever they want to you. :Angry:

I close with this observation: we live in a culture that despises women who refuse to conform to conventional notions of beauty and acceptability. Depending upon your region of the country and your circle of family and friends, choosing to be napptural is choosing to be a warrior. And warriors leave home anticipating the possibility of battle.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although, I&#39;ve never experience comments like these...I think that this was very well said.

...Depending upon your region of the country and your circle of family and friends, choosing to be napptural is choosing to be a warrior. And warriors leave home anticipating the possibility of battle.
    [/b]
    Last CFC: November 2004 BC & 100% Natural Since: March 25, 2005 (8 yrs!)
    View "My Hair Journey" (Parts 1 - 3) at: https://www.facebook.com/tiana.townsell/photos_albums
    Ms. Nappturality 2008, Ms. Black Washington USA 2009 The journey is the reward

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast