Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found my maternal gm on the 1920 census (I believe it's her although her name is spelled wrong. Everything else fits). I also found her SS death index.

Ive found my maternal ggm on the 1900 census.

I've found my maternal gf on the 1920 census and I've found his father's WWI registration card.

I've found my paternal gm on the 1920 and 1930 census's along with her brother.

I got stuck there as I don't know birth dates or states of births.

erinm is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I found my g-g-g-grandfather--Namon Reed-- on the 1840 census in Morgan County, Indiana. If he's who I think he is, I also found the record of his purchasing 40 acres of farm land from the US government in 1836.

I'm a little frustrated with my g-grandfather--Elijah Elihu Reed His records--census and selective service-- are really inconsistent. Sometimes he says he was born in Indiana, and sometimes Oklahoma. The only reason we know who his parents are-- Sarah (Goss) Reed and Noah Reed-- is because of his death and marriage certificates. But I've yet to find a document that has them living in the same household.

Another thing that bugs me is that we can't find a marriage certificate for his second wife-- my g-grandmother--Anna Bell Phillips.
    Erin's fro: Frightening suburban youth since circa 2000

Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me. --Harvey (1950)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the help of Ancestry.com I have been able to disprove the lie that has been passed down through two generations about my Maternal Great Grandmother. She didn't give birth to 22 children as I have been lead to believe. I have been able to disprove the union of my Maternal Grand Mother's siblings. Boy was that a relief!

I was soooooo displeased to find the 1890 or1900 Census missing due to a fire as it has left questions unanswerable. It was sad to run into the "wall" of 1870 Census.

I recorded what I could and have made copies for my family members.
    "Crafted and molded, sculpted and folded, designed to praise in everyway. Gifted with music, anointed with lyric You made me an instrument of praise". Clark Sisters

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My greatest success thus far has to be finding the last slave owners for several family members. Seeing in actual print that these ancestors were REALLY slaves blew me away. I always heard and thought so, but confirming it made me happy.
    [/b]
    How did you go about doing the research? I don't know where and how to start..??
    Newnappydew

I'm loving this nappy journey so far!

Last chemical Fire cream: September 6, 2008 (Finally got exact date)
    Date of BC: December 13, 2008

I got a fotki, finally.......
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/newnappydew/"]http://public.fotki.com/newnappydew/[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found my Grandfather's information on my father's side on ancestry.com. My sister found some information about my great-grandmother being a Mulatto from the Georgia Archives.I decided that I am going to start all over and gather information from my parent's about our family history. I had a file that I lost during my move down south, so all of my research is gone Hopefully, I can go back and find new information with the new technology available to me.

NewNappydew, I would start with talking with your oldest family members and the immediate family. I would work my way from parents, grand parents, great grand parents and build a family tree.

Peace,
    Rasta
    "As you educate a woman, you educate the family. If you educate the girls, you educate the future."

Queen Rania Al Abdullah of Jordan

Never be limited by other people's limited imaginations. If you adopt their attitudes, then the possiblity won't exist because you'll have already shut it out. You can hear other people's wisdom, but you've got to re-evaluate the world for yourself.
    Dr. Mae Jemison, astronaut

Run Isiah 40:31

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started by asking my great aunt (the oldest living family member) to tell me everything should could remember about my family (my maternal grandmother's side). I wrote down every name, every place, etc that she mentioned, and made copies of every obituary she had, then I went and signed up for ancestry.com and made a couple post in the genforum at genealogy.com. From there i just printed out everything that looked like it may be useful and began to make a huge family tree.

I have done everything I possibly can from another state.. I've called and harrassed Vitals at Health Departments and Court Clerks for birth and death certificates and other records... begged volunteer researchers for help and I must say I got further than I expected.

I have records from 1969 back to 1880's.

As you go thru it you will get the hang of it, there are many sources out there. Give it try.. i must warn you it can be addictive

How did you go about doing the research? I don't know where and how to start..??
    [/b]
    Its quite simple.. to be or not to be... nappy and free!

Last CFC 9/6/2008
    BC'd 1/29/2009
    Feel free to visit my FOTKI [url="http://public.fotki.com/kitaboo44/"]http://public.fotki.com/kitaboo44/[/url]
    ADD ME

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was able to find my g-g-g grandmother Isabella Sumlin of SC and her place of burial including her tombstone. Still looking for more info.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One success I have had was to obtain my uncle's military record from WW2. I started out with his parent's names, his name and the fact that he died while serving in the Navy. I scoured the L.A. Central Library catalog looking for anything relating to military personnel. I found a set of 2 books listing everyone who died in the Navy during WW2. Then I found a book written by a guy name Johnson on how to find anyone in the armed forces. I went to the section that talked about personnel who died during service and decided to write 5 letters per week (there were several agencies listed) until I got an answer. It did not take me long; I got an answer from an agency in Virginia (American Monuments Commission). They wrote me a letter and sent a copy of his death record complete with the key for access to his military file ...his service number. My uncle's name is inscribes on the Wall of the Missing at a memorial in Normandie, France. Also, I have my uncle's compensation record from when he died, with a lot of help of my friend and mentor, Katherine. You might would ask why is such a file is important? Well, he made his mother (my grandmother) the beneficiary on his insurance policy and every time she moved, she had to write a letter stating her new address (so that she could get the check in the mail). So, with his compensation file, I knew every place my grandmother had lived since the time of his death and I also have a very good starting point of when she married her second husband.

Another success that I had in the genealogical section of the Central Library (again), I happened to stumble upon a book on blacks in Northeastern Connecticut. What a gold mine!!!! It listed 5 generations, going back, starting with my g-grandmother and including THE SLAVEOWNER! From that information, I was able to get a copy of the slaveowner's probate (I am now in the process of transcribing these documents). Got to love those New Englanders, they write down everything. On the same line, I have information taking me back to England in the 1600's (I just have to prove it).

So I have had several successes that I am very proud of and hope to have many more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12