Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use my bfs. That way I can use it FRESH.
    [/b]
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    [color=#660066][i]I believe your promise is too hard to give me courage.
    All with my feelings...
    the precious time seeing you.

I'm marching on...[/i]
    [b]TiA - Ryuusei (Shooting Star) - Naruto 6ED theme[/b][/color]

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n236/Only1biancab/keikoxmew2.jpg[/img]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess i'm in the minority here but i think that white people's hair does grow faster than black people's as a whole (there are always exceptions).

my sister is 15 years old and has never had a chemical fire cream or major cut in her life. she gets regular trims but no more than 3/4 of an inch every 4-6 weeks or so. my mother straightened her hair once and it reached about halfway between her bra strap and small of her back. most white people i've told about this said that if they never cut their hair for 15 years (other than regular trims) that their hair would most likely be past their ankles. most whites (and indians) that i know that have hair down to their waist grew it out for no more than 3 years.

of course this doesn't mean that their hair is better in any way, shape or form. it's just something that i've observed.

185/140!!!/150
    new goal weight: 135

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could your sister have a slower growth rate? For me, considering that I started from nothing as of March 06, trimmed well over 3 inches of hair since then, my hair is 6 inches long right now....going at that rate hopefully I should be bra strap length in 2 years or so.....

Like said before, growth rate is specific to an individual and their personal genetically programmed growth rate than based on an entire race....
    Last Relaxer March 23 2006, BC Sept 26 2006
    Youtube: new vid 1/8/2012
    blog Fotki Twitter
    Facebook

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going to answer the OPs question, cause I think I did answer it in another thread. Plus, I tried my best to stay out of this thread because I knew the responses would be predictable, and I didn't think I'd have anything more to add than what I've already contributed to in similiar conversations. But here I am, back again, with what I hope will be my absolute final thought on this subject. So here goes...

What if there was irrefutable evidence that black folks hair did grow slower than white folks hair? What then? Would that be sooo horrible? Would the world stop? Would it rock everyone's nappy world to the core? Would you feel inferior? Would it make white folks hair superior?

Why or why do we continue to compare ourselves to white people? So what if that six-inch per year average hair growth standard wasn't really attainable for black folks as a whole. What really concerns me is that everyone is so wrapped up in trying to attain that magical 1/2-inch-per-month and see six new inches of hair at year's end. And then, when it doesn't come to fruition, a lot of nappies I think are needlessly unhappy and disillusioned because they're not getting a net gain close to that average.

But let's flip that and say there's irrefutable evidence that our hair does grow as fast as theirs. When it comes to nappy hair structure and the way it grows, in most instances, we're comparing apples to oranges. So even if it does grow as fast as white folks, collectively, we're still not likely to see the lengths as fast as they do, whether we wear our hair nappy or r.elaxed, for all of the reasons that have already been stated in this and countless other threads.

So again, it's a fruitless comparison.

Can we just stop the madness? Leave white folks out of OUR equation and consider their hair irrelevent when it comes to what's normal and natural for us. Collectively, I think we'd all be a lot happier with our hair if we did.

:2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess i'm in the minority here but i think that white people's hair does grow faster than black people's as a whole (there are always exceptions).

my sister is 15 years old and has never had a chemical fire cream or major cut in her life. she gets regular trims but no more than 3/4 of an inch every 4-6 weeks or so. my mother straightened her hair once and it reached about halfway between her bra strap and small of her back. most white people i've told about this said that if they never cut their hair for 15 years (other than regular trims) that their hair would most likely be past their ankles. most whites (and indians) that i know that have hair down to their waist grew it out for no more than 3 years.

of course this doesn't mean that their hair is better in any way, shape or form. it's just something that i've observed.

[/b]
    That's exactly what I was saying. I mean, honestly, if that's not the case, most Black people with natural hair would be way longer than it is. I mean, there are people who have been natural for YEARS, wear mostly protective styles, and their hair still isn't to their butts. Like you said the case would be different for a caucasian person.
    And like you (and I) said, that doesn't make one better than the other, it is what it is. I don't see what's so hard to make people see that. Nobody is saying nappy hair is bad cuz it doesn't grow fast. But I think people that get that from someone saying they think it's true maybe has their own hair issues they need to come to term with. I really don't give a sh*t, I'm just glad I have some and that it's healthy. It'll grow however long it wants to, but I'm not really p.ressed about it. *shrug*

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think anyone in this thread was being unrealistic about our hair growth. Most people said that our hair and Whites grows at the same rate but they would on average have longer hair due to it being straighter and the structure of their hair is less prone to dryness and breakage. No deep issues of nappy insecurity to me.

And most White folks cannot grow their hair to their ankles in 15 years with no major hair cuts. Hair that grows that long is purely genetic due to a longer anagen phase. Maybe they were being sarcastic. And even waist length, though much more common amongst them, is not a given. I knew a White girl who could not grow her hair beyond 3 inches longer than shoulder length. My mom said she also knew a White girl who was getting extensions because her hair did not grow longer than shoulder length.
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/natural-forever/"]My Hair Album[/url]
    album password: NappturalRules (works for all albums)

[SIZE=2][b]Nappy Black women avatars and sigs:[/b] [/SIZE] [url="http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=103699"]Nappy Avatars And Signatures[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ditto to all the women who have said that white hair and black hair, (every hair) grow at the same rates, but texture determines the visiable look of length. If you are ever in doubt, just check out a white friend who dyes her/his hair. How long does it take before those dark roots appear? I don't have a single white friend that gets a dye job every month - they get the same 1/2 inch that we all get.

That's exactly what I was saying. I mean, honestly, if that's not the case, most Black people with natural hair would be way longer than it is. I mean, there are people who have been natural for YEARS, wear mostly protective styles, and their hair still isn't to their butts. Like you said the case would be different for a caucasian person.
    And like you (and I) said, that doesn't make one better than the other, it is what it is. I don't see what's so hard to make people see that. Nobody is saying nappy hair is bad cuz it doesn't grow fast. But I think people that get that from someone saying they think it's true maybe has their own hair issues they need to come to term with. I really don't give a sh*t, I'm just glad I have some and that it's healthy. It'll grow however long it wants to, but I'm not really p.ressed about it. *shrug*
    [/b]
    The point is that not everyone's hair can grow to their butts. We all have different terminal cycles in our hair growth. So unless you white friends try and grow their hair for 15 years, they will never know how long it will get. Chances are for many of them it will reach a certain length, the hair will shed, and the hair will begin to grow again. All of this has nothing to do with how fast our hair grows on average.

If we were to have a hair growth race, my growth would average the same as many of my friends of diff. races, however, how long my hair grew past a certain point in relation to theirs, well, that wouldn't be clear to me or them unless we tried it.

Also, I have noticed that many Indian and South East Asian women have long hair; obviously it is related to the tradition of very long hair for females (even most white women I know do not "grow", as in actively seek to maintain hair of that length, that long) so I wonder if it is a combo of cultural factors and maybe genetic characteristics that lead to a long terminal length...?

Nappy Me = The Truth.

I'm not going to answer the OPs question, cause I think I did answer it in another thread. Plus, I tried my best to stay out of this thread because I knew the responses would be predictable, and I didn't think I'd have anything more to add than what I've already contributed to in similiar conversations. But here I am, back again, with what I hope will be my absolute final thought on this subject. So here goes...

What if there was irrefutable evidence that black folks hair did grow slower than white folks hair? What then? Would that be sooo horrible? Would the world stop? Would it rock everyone's nappy world to the core? Would you feel inferior? Would it make white folks hair superior?

Why or why do we continue to compare ourselves to white people? So what if that six-inch per year average hair growth standard wasn't really attainable for black folks as a whole. What really concerns me is that everyone is so wrapped up in trying to attain that magical 1/2-inch-per-month and see six new inches of hair at year's end. And then, when it doesn't come to fruition, a lot of nappies I think are needlessly unhappy and disillusioned because they're not getting a net gain close to that average.

But let's flip that and say there's irrefutable evidence that our hair does grow as fast as theirs. When it comes to nappy hair structure and the way it grows, in most instances, we're comparing apples to oranges. So even if it does grow as fast as white folks, collectively, we're still not likely to see the lengths as fast as they do, whether we wear our hair nappy or r.elaxed, for all of the reasons that have already been stated in this and countless other threads.

So again, it's a fruitless comparison.

Can we just stop the madness? Leave white folks out of OUR equation and consider their hair irrelevent when it comes to what's normal and natural for us. Collectively, I think we'd all be a lot happier with our hair if we did.

:2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:
    [/b]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345