vnatural is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted a homemade grease a while back and I revised my measurements and what I put in it since then. I tried alba umpetroleum and it was horrible because of the beeswax, so I wanted to make it myself.

2/3 cup castor oil
    1/2 tsp shea butter(I like cosmetic grade)
    1/2 tsp soy butter
    4 drops vitamin e oil

Melt everything in a bowl in hot water. Place in the freezer.

I placed in the freezer until the mixture thickened and it looks exactly like royal crown hair grease. I added 2 tbs water to my mix and it did not separate since soy butter acts as an emulsifier. The finished product is creamy and non greasy. I didn't add an antibacterial since I use up the stuff in a week but if I keep it longer I may add grapefruit seed extract. I don't know if it's even necessary though.

This makes my hair so soft. Washes out easily, it's the best grease ever.

All I do day after day is spritz my hair with distilled water to reactivate.

eta:wow even 4 tbs water is absorbed in this mix!

I added 5 tbs of water and it absorbed. I mixed it slowly. It's even better.

use on wet hair*
    BLAKPHOENIX

Nappy hair is pelo bueno! Ya heard!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting I may have to try that.....
    Last CFC: May 2004
    BC: 10/3/2004
    100% napptural and loving it.

"As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." Marianne Williamson

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where would one find soy butter?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soybean oil & cotton seed oil are the primary ingredients in vegetable shortening (Crisco).

This is My Unpetroleum Grease_____"Crisco"__since 2004
    Last Lye 07/01 No Big Chop

I thank God for opening my eye to the Lye!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted a homemade grease a while back and I revised my measurements and what I put in it since then. I tried alba umpetroleum and it was horrible because of the beeswax, so I wanted to make it myself.

2/3 cup castor oil
    1/2 tsp shea butter(I like cosmetic grade)
    1/2 tsp soy butter
    4 drops vitamin e oil

Melt everything in a bowl in hot water. Place in the freezer.

I placed in the freezer until the mixture thickened and it looks exactly like royal crown hair grease. I added 2 tbs water to my mix and it did not separate since soy butter acts as an emulsifier. The finished product is creamy and non greasy. I didn't add an antibacterial since I use up the stuff in a week but if I keep it longer I may add grapefruit seed extract. I don't know if it's even necessary though.

This makes my hair so soft. Washes out easily, it's the best grease ever.
    [/b]
    vnatural...thanks for the recipe...my hair likes shea butter & castor oil so I think this may work well for me...I am surprised that is is not greasy & washes out well...tell me, do you use shampoo to wash out or co-washes, etc?

Oh and I don't have soy butter but I have soy lecithin which is an emulsifyer as well so do you think I can substitute?

Soybean oil & cotton seed oil are the primary ingredients in vegetable shortening (Crisco).

This is My Unpetroleum Grease_____"Crisco"__since 2004
    [/b]
    ByHisGrace...You are the 2nd person that I heard rave about Crisco....so is this easy to wash out as well? If so, do you use shampoo or other methods of cleansing your hair?
    <div align="center">[b] [color=#FF99FF]L[/color][color=#CC66CC]U[/color][color=#993399]V [/color] [color=#FF99FF]M[/color][color=#CC33CC]Y[/color] [color=#FF99FF]L[/color][color=#CC66CC]O[/color][color=#CC33CC]C[/color][color=#993399]S[/color][color=#FF99FF]!![/color]

[url="http://public.fotki.com/NappyRina/"]http://public.fotki.com/NappyRina/[/url][/b]</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where would one find soy butter?
    [/b]
    http://www.oilsbynature.com Great selection of butters and oils at great prices( a pound of soy butter is 6 and change).

vnatural...thanks for the recipe...my hair likes shea butter & castor oil so I think this may work well for me...I am surprised that is is not greasy & washes out well...tell me, do you use shampoo to wash out or co-washes, etc?

Oh and I don&#39;t have soy butter but I have soy lecithin which is an emulsifyer as well so do you think I can substitute?
    ByHisGrace...You are the 2nd person that I heard rave about Crisco....so is this easy to wash out as well? If so, do you use shampoo or other methods of cleansing your hair?
    [/b]
    I don&#39;t know if it would give the same results. Even though lecithin is made from soy, since I just used the butter and not the lecithin itself, I can&#39;t say. Maybe someone can answer this. I conditioner wash with VO5 kiwi and lime squeeze and my hair remains soft. My hair does not have buildup, surprisingly. I use Burts or Organics shampoo every third wash.

When I tried the unpetroleum by Alba, because it has beeswax, it was hard to wash out. So I did not add beeswax to my grease. The shea butter and soy butter are the thickeners and it also allows for me to use the castor oil with ease(it&#39;s hard using castor oil by itself since it&#39;s so viscous).
    BLAKPHOENIX

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh and I don&#39;t have soy butter but I have soy lecithin which is an emulsifyer as well so do you think I can substitute?
    ByHisGrace...You are the 2nd person that I heard rave about Crisco....so is this easy to wash out as well? If so, do you use shampoo or other methods of cleansing your hair?[/b]

I use "crisco" and or other kitchen oils (infused with herbs...__amla..lemon peel powder,henna), exclusively. I have no problem with shampooing. I use dove soap bar as a shampoo bar, dove and loreal conditioner.

Crisco is a vegetable oil and dove soap has the same ph as some of your best high priced shampoos.

The pH of a few major brands of hand soap.
    Soap pH
    Camay 9.5
    Dial 9.5
    Dove 7.0
    Irish Spring 9.5
    Ivory 9.5
    Lever 2000 9.0
    Palmolive 10.0
    Zest 10.0
    It actually contains 1/4 moisturising cream, which presumably makes it less likely to dry your skin. Dove Cream Bar also claims to be mild and pH neutral, i.e. not too acidic or alkaline.

Last Lye 07/01 No Big Chop

I thank God for opening my eye to the Lye!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to report, after a week of use my hair is yearning for something else. Even though my twists felt smooth and soft, something was missing. Eh....back to mixing with conditioner again.
    BLAKPHOENIX