Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What NOT to do is what everyone els eis doing, JUST BECAUSE it works for THEM. It may not work for you...
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DO NOT, please, DO NOT use Aloe Vera juice (made from freshly cut leaves from the plant) without straining it first. You will end up having white residue all over your hair when it's dry. AVJ is the best moisturizing agent to my very coarse hair so far and one of my favorite leave-ins, it makes my hair soooo manageable and so fluffy when I take down my twists!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
    This is a wonderful thread. I'm sorry I'm just now finally making it through all the pages, especially since several of the tips would've saved me the frustration I've been feeling for quite some time with my hair. Ahem ... anyway, with that said, here are my personal favorites, reworded somewhat to match my own experience:

Do not inflate your expectations. Your hair is just that -- your hair. It is not going to grow at the same rate as someone else's. It is not going to curl like someone else's. You might be able to rock a twist-out. But you might not. Learn to accept that and (try to) move on. (I've been wearing my hair natural since January 12, 2002, and this one is still the hardest lesson.)

Do not allow a stylist to pressure you into doing something you know will damage your hair. I don't care how much hype the stylist (or the salon) has had. That stylist is going to deal with your hair for only the time you're in that salon. (Or, in my case, maybe only a few minutes here and there.) You, however, are going to have to deal with your hair every second of every day after that salon visit. You're the one who will have to figure out how to deal with the dryness that results from your lapse in judgment. (That you paid a pretty penny for that mistake will only make you feel worse.) I let a stylist and her worker bees talk me into coloring my hair despite knowing how drying it is to my hair. But like a dummy, I sat there thinking, "Well maybe this time will be different." Guess what? It wasn't.

Do not be bitter that everyone who tells you not to obsess over hair length has gorgeous long hair. (OK, this one is meant to be funny and is mostly directed at myself, but it's kinda true.)

Do not go broke trying this product and that product just because the person whose hair you <strike>envy</strike> <strike>lust after</strike> admire happens to use those products. You'll be tempted to think, "Surely that product will make my hair look like hers." It won't. Even if the product turns out to be great for your own hair type, it is not going to make your hair look like someone else's.

Do not freak out over every single-strand knot you encounter. If you're prone to being frustrated by these banes of the nappy-girl's existence, keep your mitts out of your 'fro -- which is what you should be doing anyway since you're just creating more tangles by playing with it.

Do not think every day is going to be a great napptural-hair day. You will be frustrated sometimes. But ...

Do not allow a bad napptural-hair day to make you do something crazy. You know of what I speak. You had your reasons for going natural. Remember them.

Lastly, definitely do remember that you are a divine creation.

Peace,
    littlefish

You're wonderful! I love it!.lol. especially about playing with my fro and going broke trying every product! Thanks!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't believe everything that people say. Even if everyone is saying it. If you know it not to be true, then keep on what you believe. Even regards to something about hair. The majority may be wrong.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont be afraid of your natural hair. Even you were wonderfully and fearfully made in the image of God, nappy hair and all.......

Vanna is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosina View Post
    Dont be afraid of your natural hair. Even you were wonderfully and fearfully made in the image of God, nappy hair and all.......
    I'll give a hearty "AMEN" to that!
    Happily embracing my God-given hair
    last perm May 2011/BC'd 8/13/11
    (Wearing two-strand twists/twist out 'fro since March 2014)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone I am still in the transitioning stage, but I have learned not to go to sleep unless I do something to my hair ( twist out, bantu knots, braidout) because this weekend was not good. I took out my micro twist and I was too tired to wash my hair so I said if I just go to sleep and wake up the next morning and wash it that should be fine. NOOO it was not fine I had a big mess knots all in my hair but was still able to save my most of my hair so I did a roller set to keep it from looking uneven. It was the worse thing I could have ever done, but I learned not to do that.. I don't want anyone else to do that either so always take time for your hair!!!
    Adrienne

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't EVER try to leave box braids in for longer than four months. I didn't think anyone would actually be like me and leave them in for 8, but better safe than sorry!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have locs, don't listen to someone who has never had them when they tell you thatbyou need to get your hair done. Retwist you're hair at your own pace/time schedule. The same goes for loose natural hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

STOP WHINING ABOUT YOUR HAIR!!! You do not have the nappiest, thinnest, driest, or shortest hair on the planet.

Stop looking to white ppl (and others) to re-affirm your beauty.

Quit looking for negativity (ie, curly fro vs kinky fro) everywhere you go.

Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast